First time to the drag strip!

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Hey guys, so yesterday I went to Texas Raceway in Kennedale, TX and had a blast. First I will say that it was the first time I ever have ran at the drag strip so it was quite a experience to say the least. I had two decent runs once I started getting familiar with the right lane, lights, and finding the RPM which I wouldn't spin the stock tired too much.

First run was horrible, I was trying to concentrate on the tree, not paying attention to my RPMs and I stalled it.

Two things I need to address, tires and wheel hop. 1st and 2nd gear I couldn't keep it from blowing the tires off and wheel hopping so hard I could hear the tires hitting the ground, luckily 3rd would catch traction and that's where I picked up most my MPH.

Tire PSI was around 29-30lbs, I didn't adjust it as I wanted to get consistent before I messed with them.

Details on my car:
2015 Base GT
MT-82
3.55 option gears from the factory
Stock tires with 13,5XX miles
Airraid MPX Series CAI, no tune required.
MBRP race catback system
UPR catch can.

Let me know what you all think!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Ryan--I'm telling you--go to Dallas and hit COTA for a track day. You will def be hooked. Costs more, but a shit ton more drive time.

I did the drag race thing--it was fun at first, but the crowds meant I would get 2-4 runs per night and be there 3 hours. Sucked.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I think you're going to be addicted, that's what I think. ;-)

Oh I am! Already making plans to go Saturday or Sunday with some friends from work. I'll rotate my tires and drop the pressure this time.

I need to look into what suspension parts I need to remedy the wheel hop. I don't want to change much. Just want to fix my traction issue.

Ryan--I'm telling you--go to Dallas and hit COTA for a track day. You will def be hooked. Costs more, but a shit ton more drive time.

I did the drag race thing--it was fun at first, but the crowds meant I would get 2-4 runs per night and be there 3 hours. Sucked.

I'll look into it but I had a lot of fun at the drag strip. I could have easily got in 8-10 runs if I didn't take a half hour break. It only got packed because the grudge racing at 7:30.

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! I don't remember the e.t. to most of my runs, but my stock '14 base model mt82 car went 8.6-8.7, and trapped between 88-90. 1/8th mile crap screws me up, you had to notate on the tech card you wanted 1/4mi, but for some reason I never got a 1/4 slip.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Anything I should do that would help Frankie?
Rev to 6k, slip the clutch out like you're in the rain.
And if you want to get serious like the big boys get some strip tires on that bitch. Work on your footwork with the car off speed shifting.
I don't suggest trying to power shift, you will learn some bad lessons at first :smhjoker:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
6K? I couldn't get traction at 2,500RPM man. Idk if you're serious or not.
I do plan on looking at picking up a set of wheels and tires for the track only.
Shifting is easy, that's one thing I can do very well. I can power shift but I'd rather not put the stress on the drivetrain.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes I am serious, SLIP THE CLUTCH not dump it lol.
I used to slip from 6k on street tires with two chirps and i'm gone.
Then I did the RIGHT thing and bought drag tires.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I was doning a bit of research, looks like I need some lower links. I'll be contacting BMR to discuss them this week and see if I'll need the toe links as their website reccomends along with the lower links.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
15s even with the IRS can be amazing on the strip, a friend has a 15 auto with a Paxton, big n littles and is down to 9.7, crazy to me

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Careful with the halfshafts. They snap on these cars like twigs.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Careful with the halfshafts. They snap on these cars like twigs.

Interesting, I haven't heard of a bolt on, factory tuned GT snapping any. With a 2.2 60' I doubt I even come close to stressing them lol.

If you have some references and data please share.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Interesting, I haven't heard of a bolt on, factory tuned GT snapping any. With a 2.2 60' I doubt I even come close to stressing them lol.

If you have some references and data please share.

Here ya go:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back