First time to the track

Scottcba1

Reaction score
Taking my '14 6M GT to the track sunday and looking for some info. The car is completely stock and I will be running the stock pirelli tires. I have a few questions for you guys/

What RPM have you guys been able to launch at on the stock tires?
Whats the best launch technique for these cars?
How long do you hold the TCS button to turn off both traction & stability controls?
I have only seen the TCS light come on the dash, is there a seperate stability light that shows when its dis-engaged?

I have raced many cars and many runs before but first runs with the new car so I figured I would pick your brains.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

-Scott

Last edited:

Blkbrembo5.0

Reaction score
Car has to be running and brake pedal applied, hold TCS button for 5 seconds and release, then "traction control off" should appear in the message screen, and the TCS light on instrument cluster lights up. This has to be re-done if you shut the car off.
I have Pirelli P-zeros and they like to be really warmed up. I drive around the burnout box, and warm them in the dry area. I drop clutch in 1st gear and then quickly hold the brake pedal and spin for about 3-5 seconds, lift the brake pedal, and keep spinning going forward as far as I can. I don't really watch the tach but I'd guess I launch around 2200-2500rpms.
My best 60ft with stock tires is 1.96, but other people probably do better. Oh, and I dropped the air pressure on the Pirelli's to 23psi. With this setup I got 12.90 @ 110mph

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
The stock tires suck. Don't smoke them out, but heat the tires once to clan them and get them sticky. For that first pass they will be a bit more slick than usual because some oils in the rubber will sweat out. After that, for each pass, drive around the water, keep close to normal tire pressure and feather it off the line. I wouldn't dump it any higher than about 2.5k, maybe 3k tops after your 2nd or 3rd pass.

As far as traction control goes... this is straight out of the owners manual.

When the traction control system is turned off or on, a message appears
in the information display showing system status.

The system automatically is enabled when you start your engine.

The ESC portion of the system is disabled when the transmission is in R
(Reverse) or, on some models, if the stability control button is pressed
and held for more than five seconds when the brakes are applied and the
vehicle is at a stop. The traction control portion of the system can be
turned off independently.

Some models may also come equipped with a sport mode which allows
the driver to reduce normal AdvanceTrac system intervention and
provide a more spirited driving experience. To enter sport mode, press
the stability control button twice rapidly with the brakes applied. The
message appears in the information display that the system is now in
sport mode.

Note: Sport mode is not intended to be used on public roadways.

AdvanceTrac.jpg

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Car has to be running and brake pedal applied, hold TCS button for 5 seconds and release, then "traction control off" should appear in the message screen, and the TCS light on instrument cluster lights up. This has to be re-done if you shut the car off.

If only "Traction Control OFF" is displayed, then only then TCS has been disabled and stability control will still function. You must be stopped, hold the brake and then press the button until "Advance Trac OFF" is displayed. Not all controls are off. This process must also be started with the TCS on. Starting with TCS off will not yield any results.

Scottcba1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Was pleased for it being my first time out with the car. I was able to run 12.9@108mph. Launching on the street tires is terrible. I havent raced with street tires in years and found out today why I havent. Next step is a set of DRs or some 15" rims for the slicks I have sitting in my garage. My best run is as follows:

R/T = -.022
60' = 2.093
330 = 5.547
1/8 = 8.416
MPH = 86.10
1000 = 10.857
E.T. = 12.948
MPH = 108.27

-Scott

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Nice! That's a lot better than I expected to be honest with you. You put some DR's or slicks on it to get that 60' down to 1.7's and you are looking at 12.5 or faster.

Scottcba1

Reaction score
Nice! That's a lot better than I expected to be honest with you. You put some DR's or slicks on it to get that 60' down to 1.7's and you are looking at 12.5 or faster.

Thanks...I was happy with it. Was trying to beat my buddies 12.89 stock run on stock tires but I got damn close.

I was feathering the clutch out on a 2500rpm launch. Was able to drop from back to back 13.1s to the 12.9 by getting slight wheel spin off the line rather then dead hook n bog which was what I got on the 2000rpm launches. Only dropped psi to 25 as well. Looking to only add DRs or slicks and get those 12.7s or better like you mentioned!

-Scott

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Cool! Good luck man. Let us know when the new shoes are ready... it's nice to see real feedback on what these cars can do stock compared the to stuff the print and online rags put out.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
The pirelli's do not hook up any better when heated by doing a burnout. All you need to once past the water is rev it and dump the clutch while moving forward towards the starting line for just a second to get any water off. I ran mine with about 19-20 psi and was able to get consistant 60' times in the mid 1.8's by launching at just over 2k and slipping the clutch and feeding the gas pretty quickly. And like you said the best runs are achieved with the tires spinning just a little.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back