First times with the supercharger

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
First track times with my supercharger, starts out and pulls like crazy then falls flat on her face in 4th gear. Stays reading full boost but you can actually feel the car slow down. AFR reads 10.8 when losing power which doesn't seem right to me but not sure. Runs around 11.5ish when producing good power. Really kills my MPH though, and last race I started losing power in 3rd as well(heat might have been a factor) I let the car cool down for about 30 min. before my last race.
Hopefully I can find a tuner that can fix this as I was so close to beating a 2014 Corvette LOL. I am #1017 in the left lane(Corvette is 1036)
Track specs were:
temperature = 39.8 deg f
relative humidity = 68 %
uncorrected barometer* = 27.62 Hg
corrected barometer* = 29.909534 Hg
density altitude = 1263.32 ft
20150424_215337_zpsxtuhktx6.jpg

Last edited:

06saleenvert

Reaction score
What size pulley are you running on your Saleen supercharger and how much boost are you seeing, have you checked for belt slip, and make sure your intercooler pump is working, something is not quit right on your numbers. I ran those numbers in my Saleen when it was stock with the pig rich Saleen tune and the stock 3.8 pulley. Now with a 3.4 pulley, brenspeed mail order tune, and a couple more bolt on, I am running low 7's on big and little's at 96 mph in the 1/8. I have only ran the 1/4 a couple time but with a bad 60' 1.89 , I went 11.90 at 122.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
What size pulley are you running on your Saleen supercharger and how much boost are you seeing, have you checked for belt slip, and make sure your intercooler pump is working, something is not quit right on your numbers. I ran those numbers in my Saleen when it was stock with the pig rich Saleen tune and the stock 3.8 pulley. Now with a 3.4 pulley, brenspeed mail order tune, and a couple more bolt on, I am running low 7's on big and little's at 96 mph in the 1/8. I have only ran the 1/4 a couple time but with a bad 60' 1.89 , I went 11.90 at 122.

I am not sure which pulley is on it. I am running right around 7-7.5lbs of boost. I was told everything is working and cooling properly but don't know for sure. has a new tensiioner and such and doesn't seem to be or sound like the belt is slipping. Traction was an issue as I was on crappy street tires but you can actually hear and feel it lose power in 4th gear. You can hear in this video when I get into fourth it seems to sound different and lose power.
https://youtu.be/UkOjS-_ZvsY

06saleenvert

Reaction score
Here's a couple things to check look on your oil filter for any black power that will be from belt slip, also open the intercooler tank with the car running you should see the water/coolant moving if the pump is working correctly. It sounds like you have a 3.6" or 3.4" pulley. I would look at getting a different tune also if you have a good shop local that you can trust a dyno tune would be best but if not Brenspeed or JDM can get you a good mail order tune they both a very good with the Saleen supercharger, but if you get a mail order tune I would still get it on a dyno to check the AF. Good luck and once you get it worked out you should be will be running high 11's on a drag radial.

Here a 1/8 mile pass of mine you can see it's still pulling good on the big end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIPfAujXq4

Last edited:

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Here is what the dyno sheet looked like when I got it tuned initially. Since then it jas had the air cleaner cleaned and about 3 tanks of newer fuel run through. There was additive and cleaner put in the fuel before tuning but it was older fuel. Going to check the belt and the coolant pump later tonight or tomorrow and see what is up with that. Thanks for the help so far.
20150311_200511_zpsyb0my2x5.jpg

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a couple things to check look on your oil filter for any black power that will be from belt slip, also open the intercooler tank with the car running you should see the water/coolant moving if the pump is working correctly. It sounds like you have a 3.6" or 3.4" pulley. I would look at getting a different tune also if you have a good shop local that you can trust a dyno tune would be best but if not Brenspeed or JDM can get you a good mail order tune they both a very good with the Saleen supercharger, but if you get a mail order tune I would still get it on a dyno to check the AF. Good luck and once you get it worked out you should be will be running high 11's on a drag radial.

Here a 1/8 mile pass of mine you can see it's still pulling good on the big end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIPfAujXq4

So, the coolant is flowing great through the tank. Tried to check the oil filter for powder but it was covered in mud and dirt from driving to work, oops LOL. Cleaned everything under the hood and will keep an eye on the oil filter for powder but don't really have any where to try any pulls, even 3rd is to much for any of the roads around here.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
So, the coolant is flowing great through the tank. Tried to check the oil filter for powder but it was covered in mud and dirt from driving to work, oops LOL. Cleaned everything under the hood and will keep an eye on the oil filter for powder but don't really have any where to try any pulls, even 3rd is to much for any of the roads around here.

Also check your intake filter and tube to ensure you don't have a restriction there.

The intake tube on my car started collapsing and at 5500rpm it fell flat and stopped pulling.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is what the dyno sheet looked like when I got it tuned initially. Since then it jas had the air cleaner cleaned and about 3 tanks of newer fuel run through. There was additive and cleaner put in the fuel before tuning but it was older fuel. Going to check the belt and the coolant pump later tonight or tomorrow and see what is up with that. Thanks for the help so far.
20150311_200511_zpsyb0my2x5.jpg

Here are some numbers when I was running the Saleen Supercharger with the Super Shaker option.
Just to give you a comparison with another Saleen Supercharger Mustang.

Below I'll post time slips from back then and you can compare times as well as MPH.

Keep in mind, mine is running street tires !!!
(And 93-Octane Gas)

Also there was Very-Limited-Traction with those M/T street tires.

.. ..

This is the Bullitt Mustang back in 2010.

Maybe the above will give you something to compare times & MPH with.

Terry

Last edited:

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Also check your intake filter and tube to ensure you don't have a restriction there.

The intake tube on my car started collapsing and at 5500rpm it fell flat and stopped pulling.

I checked the tube and filter and the both appear to be good and strong as well as free of debree.
Terry's numbers show that where mine dyno'd is about where it should as I am just stock other than the saleen and an airraid CAI so his cams would make up the extra HP. The timeslips were more around what I was hoping to see, I was hoping for mid 12's and expected to see around 115mph as I am on crappy street tires as well. Sent an email to my tuner so I will see what he says next week and try and go from there.

0517suhleen

Reaction score
I think the elephant in this thread is your tires dude, i have a saleen supercharged with a 3.75 pulley O/R xpipe, jlt CAI, 4.10 gears. BMR LCA. and 305/45/18 nitto 555rs. my slowest 1/8th of the night was 8.5

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think the elephant in this thread is your tires dude, i have a saleen supercharged with a 3.75 pulley O/R xpipe, jlt CAI, 4.10 gears. BMR LCA. and 305/45/18 nitto 555rs. my slowest 1/8th of the night was 8.5

That is fine for the 1/8, I know my tires aren't going to help me but please explain how this is making me lose all power in 4th gear? I have the guy that tuned the car looking into it right now as he is trying to figure out why 4th is screwing up. I was running a consistant 8.5 1/8th with street tires so I would hope your lowest was better than an 8,5 with DR's

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a boost gauge? Check for leaks. My connection tube had split on the bottom side of it and I was losing boost. Car slowed down and I knew something was wrong. Found the leak, fixed it and it was back to normal.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, I have a boost gauge, I had a quick look an can't feel any cracks or splits. It was still reading just over 7 on the gauge which is where it should be or so I have heard.

0517suhleen

Reaction score
Though it may not be the budget friendly way, try a different tuner at least then for sure you'd know if it's the tuner or car that's cause your power loss.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Though it may not be the budget friendly way, try a different tuner at least then for sure you'd know if it's the tuner or car that's cause your power loss.

Going to give him another chance to see if he can work out the issue or at least figure what it is then if not may have to make a day trip to the next nearest reputable tuner.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, I have a boost gauge, I had a quick look an can't feel any cracks or splits. It was still reading just over 7 on the gauge which is where it should be or so I have heard.

Good deal. Do you have an aeroforce gauge? You can see your AIT temps with it. If those intake temps are high your motor will pull timing.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Good deal. Do you have an aeroforce gauge? You can see your AIT temps with it. If those intake temps are high your motor will pull timing.

I just have the boost an afr gauge but I am starting to wonder if that is what is happening and so is my tuner. hopefully will be able to get in to see him next week and get it all sorted out. May have to get myself a new handheld as well, mine no longer will hook up with my CP and is kind of a pain to use anyways.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back