Fitting 16x8 Cobra Rs on an S197

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I am looking to use 16x8 replica Cobra R wheels on my 2011 GT. Is there anything special needed to make them work?

5x114.3 bolt circle and 5.1" back space.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Oh ok, I was hoping you didnt want to run 16" cobras on your car all the time..talk about ugly! They will work fine for just something to mount dr's on. Won't have to worry with grinding calipers and repositioning the rear sway bar to run 15 inchers.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I was hoping you didnt want to run 16" cobras on your car all the time..talk about ugly! They will work fine for just something to mount dr's on. Won't have to worry with grinding calipers and repositioning the rear sway bar to run 15 inchers.

That's ehat I wanted to hear.

:beerchug2:

Mainly because I went and bought them. ;)

mt295r50-16.jpg

16x8.jpg

stabgerdr.jpg

stangerdrs.jpg

They're at a friends place in MD. I get to pick them up this Saturday and try them out.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I need to buy some new ET streets..did you buy the tires seperate or was it a deal?

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I need to buy some new ET streets..did you buy the tires seperate or was it a deal?

I bought the tires from a friend and had the wheels shipped to him. He got them mounted.

The price for these tires is just about the same as the 295/55/15 MT Street Radials. The sizes are close 27.7" vs 27.8", etc. You just lose a little sidewall.

Last edited:

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I bought the tires from a friend and had the wheels shipped to him. He got them mounted.

The price for these tires is just about the same as the 295/55/15 MT Street Radials. The sizes are close 27.7" vs 27.8", etc. You just loose a little sidewall.

I wonder if there is a difference in compound between the two? The tread pattern is different b/w the ET Radial and ET Radial 2 to make the ET2 more rain friendly. I think the 16 has plenty of sidewall though, but I can assure you that the 295/15 hooks!

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
That setup is going to do very well for you especially with the Circle D

I'm going to try them out on Saturday with just the Tune.

I wonder if there is a difference in compound between the two? The tread pattern is different b/w the ET Radial and ET Radial 2 to make the ET2 more rain friendly. I think the 16 has plenty of sidewall though, but I can assure you that the 295/15 hooks!

They are both listed on MT's site as R2 compound.

How tall are those?

27.7" tall, 87" circumference.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII

I think the OEM 19" tires are right around 27.7", aren't they?

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Well, they stick out.

The wheels are a 5.1" back space. The Racestar website claims the 15x8 wheel has a 5.5" back space. I guess that .4" makes a big difference.

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMjYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMjcuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMzEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMjUuanBn.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong, they do work...
utf-8BSU1BRzAzMzAuanBn.jpg

I am not getting any rub, because I'm at stock height and just a tune. So I don't get enough squat to get the lip anywhere near the tire.

george1902.jpg

george1903.jpg

I've got them for sale on Modular, they should fit a 94-04 just fine.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
They stick out a little more than my 15x8 race stars, but not .4 inches more. At least you don't have to deal with the stupid ring, oval shaped lugs, and offset washers.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
They stick out a little more than my 15x8 race stars, but not .4 inches more. At least you don't have to deal with the stupid ring, oval shaped lugs, and offset washers.

Really? Hmmmm.

Maybe I should just keep them.

I thought the Racestars were tucked in, under the sheetmetal.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I need to mount the drag wheels back on there and take some measurements to the inside. This might help:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16x8...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230e565e78

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/enkei-rpf1-wheel-16x80-5x1143-p-60777.html

http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/RPF1.pdf

The wheels I have now have a +15mm offset, so if I went with a +38mm offset that should move them inwards 23mm (almost an inch). Correct?

ETA:
Or stop worrying about it and just run these for a while... LOL

Last edited:

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Yeah, if they dont rub, just run those. They are only for the track anyway right?
Those cobra wheels are made for sn95 offset, so you should have guessed they would stick out. I just bought a pair of 17x9 cobra r's. Waiting on dr's now. I'm sure they will stick out on my 05, but I'm gonna use them on my 94 also. They will tuck in on the 94.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, if they dont rub, just run those. They are only for the track anyway right?
Those cobra wheels are made for sn95 offset, so you should have guessed they would stick out. I just bought a pair of 17x9 cobra r's. Waiting on dr's now. I'm sure they will stick out on my 05, but I'm gonna use them on my 94 also. They will tuck in on the 94.

I have 23 runs on them now, three trips to the track. Plus about 550ish street/highway miles. I drive them to and from the track.

With the stock suspension they are fine, especially with an automatic.

I plan on Weld RT-S rims, big and littles, but these work for now.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back