Flat Clear Over Chrome Emblems

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Has anyone ever painted over the stock "chrome" stuff with a flat clear coat? I bought a satin faux fuel door, and I'd like to get my GT badges to match. I was messing around with some clear plastidip, and it doesn't look that great. Just curious to see if anyone has done anything similar with chrome trim. I'd like to get as close to the factory satin color as I can. The dip has a lot of little bubbles in it that don't look good. Maybe I'm spraying too heavy.

I'm also curious if anyone thinks that the satin trim will clash with my polished bullitt wheels, or look odd that its not shiny like the wheels.

Top ring is plastidip, bottom is factory satin.

15245107083_32b445683f_c.jpg

Looked more closely at this pic and the GT emblem looks satin. I think it will look good if I can find a proper finish for it.

15679353027_701dbb5759_c.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Your pics don't work, but I clear plastidipped my rear medallion for that effect. I like it 9000x's better than the chrome. It goes well with the matte vinyl blackout panel.

15008332611_242ae20842_b.jpg

I did the interior vent rings with it too, but ended up peeling it off because it didn't feel right. Nobody ever touches exterior emblems, but everyone touches the vent rings.

I would imagine a regular flat clear coat would give off the same look and feel smooth, but it is less forgiving and there's probably no going back once you do it.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I ended up not trying it. I would have had to destroy both emblems to make it work, and the chances of actually destroying them was pretty high. I also tried the plasti dip clear, but I didn't like how it came out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back