Fluid leak from rear of trans

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
05 GT 5 Speed, So I replaced my rear trans seal or output shaft seal, I've noticed it leaks still and haven't taken the time to slap in another seal but today I used my phone to get video of the top of the trans... more specifically the gear selector. Watch the video, let me know if you would agree that the seal around the gear selector could be the culprit.

https://youtu.be/z1vpu-5lqRU
https://youtu.be/QljBsXi305Y

Last edited:

G.T

Reaction score
it is the shift shaft seal.. part number 4R3Z 7052-CA
on a side note.. are you off-roading this car? lol

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
it is the shift shaft seal.. part number 4R3Z 7052-CA
on a side note.. are you off-roading this car? lol

THANKS!!! Do you know if i have to pull the trans out to replace that seal?

no lol, but its got a lot of miles...156k right now. The under panels are in good shape, just alittle grit on the trans from that fluid leak.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
good news, i was able to buy the seal from Glendale Ford... apparently I bought the last one available in the entire state of California! its on back-order everywhere else. Luckily the dealer that had the last one was 40 minutes away from my job so i used my lunch break and 2-15 minute breaks to pick it up.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It's not as simple as a seal
the seal leaks because the bushing in the tail shaft wears out
The bushing in the tail housing takes a beating from worn u-joints, carrier bearing, or CV and maybe the trans mount

replace the u-joint, bushing and the seal for the correct long term repair as well as checking the trans mount, CV and carrier bearing.

Last edited:

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
It's not as simple as a seal
the seal leaks because the bushing in the tail shaft wears out
The bushing in the tail housing takes a beating from worn u-joints, carrier bearing, or CV and maybe the trans mount

replace the u-joint, bushing and the seal for the correct long term repair as well as checking the trans mount, CV and carrier bearing.

thanks for the info RocketcarX, however, we're talk about the "Shift" shaft seal, the tail shaft seal/trans rear seal had been replaced and doesnt leak, confirmed this yesterday.

After that video was taken that i posted, I went ahead and sprayed down the tail shaft so it was bone dry on the outside and yesterday i crawled under and seen that the fluid leak was coming from only the Shift Shaft seal, not from the tail shaft/output shaft.

Trans mount is new, DS support new, carrier in good solid condition with no play, no driveshaft vibration. I do have a little too much play between the ring gear and pinion gear in the rear diff, but thats another story/fix/4.10 upgrade for the future.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
thanks for the info RocketcarX, however, we're talk about the "Shift" shaft seal, the tail shaft seal/trans rear seal had been replaced and doesnt leak, confirmed this yesterday.

After that video was taken that i posted, I went ahead and sprayed down the tail shaft so it was bone dry on the outside and yesterday i crawled under and seen that the fluid leak was coming from only the Shift Shaft seal, not from the tail shaft/output shaft.

Trans mount is new, DS support new, carrier in good solid condition with no play, no driveshaft vibration. I do have a little too much play between the ring gear and pinion gear in the rear diff, but thats another story/fix/4.10 upgrade for the future.

I must have over looked that part, glad you got it fixed man

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Tomorrow im replacing that shift shaft seal and likely going to flush the manual trans fluid, could anyone recommend a quality manual trans fluid for my 05 mustang GT manual tr3650 transmission that has a staggering 156k miles on it?

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Tomorrow im replacing that shift shaft seal and likely going to flush the manual trans fluid, could anyone recommend a quality manual trans fluid for my 05 mustang GT manual tr3650 transmission that has a staggering 156k miles on it?

Penzoil Synchromesh, Next time search the forums a little better dumby.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Schizophrenia much?

BTW, one of you let me know how bad or easy the job was. Think I have the same leak.

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
Schizophrenia much?

BTW, one of you let me know how bad or easy the job was. Think I have the same leak.

Haha,

its wasnt hard at all but it was a bitch.

had to remove:
h-pipe
shift linkage that connects shift shaft to bottom of shifter

once that was out of the way, i put a pole stand under the trans mount bracket and remove the 4-18mm bolts that hold it to the body, then i lowered the transmission tail shaft about 3-5 inches. then remove the little bulky end off the shift shaft by remove the bolt on top of it, once that bolt is out, that bulky end will fall off.

Now youll be able to get the seal out but youll need small curved pick tool to pry/massage it out, or a very small flathead... small as in has the clip on the handle so you can place it in you shirt pocket, small.

Once its out, the tough part is getting the new one in evenly, the bottom will want to go in last but try your hardest with the limited space you have to get it in as evenly as possible with a deep socket and a small hammer because the yoke on the end of the trans will prevent the socket from resting 100% flat against the new seal, i placed a nickel over the lower part of the seal and pressed the socket against it and gave it afew more taps of the hammer and that did the trick.

Dont forget to grease inside of the new seal before sliding it over the shift shaft.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back