Ford OEM (factory installed) Oil Filter

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone ever noted an OEM Ford filter to have a failure?

Something was nagging at me to change the oil shortly after I bought the Mustang so, I dumped it with roughly 1200 miles on the odometer and found an internal seal on the filter as noted below.

This is the OEM (factory installed) oil filter that I removed from the Mustang with an internal seal protruding from the filter itself. It's a good thing the internal seal is still attached or captured by the pressure relief spring or it could be wedged somewhere in a oil passage. The filter is solid white, unmarked and without any external damage. I reported it to the dealer, gave them photos, let them see the filter and then saved the filter, in its entirety, with a copy of the dealer report.
i-n2xNq7G-XL.jpg

This is what came out of the filter when inverted and is what I would expect to see with break-in miles on a new engine.
i-8t5kRdV-XL.jpg

Thankfully, I've always collected oil samples and sent them for analysis. This sample came back normal for a new engine with expected high levels of wear metals found within the sample. Aluminum 6, Iron 38, Copper 44, Manganese 23, Silicon 35.

An FL500S filter was installed and after ~4,000 miles, I repeated the process and found nothing unusual. This is that filter opened up and the black seal next to the pressure relief spring is what protruded from the first filter.
i-ddXzXDv-XL.jpg

Again, an oil sample was sent for analysis and normal expected levels of wear metals were found for an engine nearing the completion of the break-in process. Aluminum 3, Iron 18, Copper 10, Manganese 5, Silicon 14.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
That was the filter off a brand new car? They are usually not marked with any numbers and are a different color than that from the factory.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
The first photo with the seal hanging out is the OEM factory filter. It was solid white without any markings, as I noted in the post.

The last photo is the second filter, an FL500S, that I dissected.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Those huge pieces in that old oil would have made my stomach drop. Hope that oil analysis is dead nuts reliable, I've never found pieces that large on a new/rebuilt engine check up. Just lots of moly and assembly lube.

Back