Forum refuses to remember me

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Like the thread title says, I am having to constantly re-enter my username and password, sometimes a second time when replying into a thread, or into a second S197Forum window after I've already re-logged in on a first.

Mostly, this happens on my home computer (laptop with wireless internet), although it has also happened on my work computer.

I'm using IE on both computers, I think home is IE9, work is IE-something else. But this problem is confined to this site, and I put in a regular appearance on five or six others without this ever happening.

It is frustrating, and somewhat annoying to have to remember to copy every post and every edit just in case S197Forum forgets that I'm a member.

Any help would be appreciated, short of having to install a different browser (I'm not much of a computer geek).

Thanks in advance.

Norm

Last edited:

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is probably a no brainier, but are you checking the remember me button? If I forget to push it when I log in on my phone it will log me out after a little while

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Usethis procedure:

1. manually log out
2. view cookies from your browser or a cookie viewer utility
3. delete all cookies for this domain
4. log back in

Nasty GT

Using stuff to do things
Reaction score
Usethis procedure:

1. manually log out
4. log back in

Deleted cookies and all is well for me.

Thanks Kimmer.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Do you have your browser set to clear everything when you close it?

Earl
Don't think so. Once I've got my profile and preferences set I hardly ever change anything other than to tweak my signature. This problem started for no apparent reason.

Usethis procedure:

1. manually log out
4. log back in
Thanks. I'll give that a shot tonight, assuming that I can find where Win7 puts those things.

Norm

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or you can just live with the fact you are not wanted on S197!

j/k, hope you get it sorted out!

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Don't think so. Once I've got my profile and preferences set I hardly ever change anything other than to tweak my signature. This problem started for no apparent reason.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tonight, assuming that I can find where Win7 puts those things.

Norm

That was what I was gonna suggest it's worked for me in the past:

To clear cookies open internet explorer, go to tools drop down to internet options and there should be a button to delete browsing history, this will clear the cookies etc.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Didn't get a chance last night.

What I'm looking for is a way to delete only the S197Forum cookie(s).

On XP and older systems I could usually find where all those little files were kept and delete only the troublemaker. Saves having to re-login every place else (including my start page toolbar, which contains the favorites list).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Update - finally got pissed off enough to delete all cookies (as I still cannot find where the S197Forum cookie lives or even what its name might be).

Wierd thing was that the site would remember me long enough to get a post edit started but not long enough to finish and submit it. But if I opened up a separate S197Forum window and logged in to that one, the post edit window would then recover from its amnesia and realize that I really was logged in. Go figure.

So far, so good, at least as of two or three separate visits to the site last night.

Norm

Back