FR500c steering rack?

ScootDawg

forum member
Reaction score
Was looking for some feedback on this steering rack. How is it on the Street? Do u recommend it?

Mine is wore out, and planning on hitting alot more road courses.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/m/part.asp?p=8252

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
I want this so bad. I wouldn't think it would be terrible on the street considering it has a 15.6:1 ratio. Lets see, the stock steering rack is 20:1 so there will be a very noticeable improvement. Is it streetable? Well a stock RX-8 has a ratio of 16.4:1; close-ish. I would drive it on the street.

I'm not really digging having to shuffle so much at autocross. This rack needs to happen soon.

Victor E.

Reaction score
Slightly heavier "feel" and not as over assisted as was the original S197 rack. Completely streetable.

I purchased one from Rehagen Racing along with a friend getting one for his GT500 as FRPP no longer sells them. Visually identical to the stocker

fivelinkcobra

Reaction score
I have a brand new one for sale if you are still looking for one. I bought 2 from RR and don't need a second one. Will sell for a good price.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I want this so bad. I wouldn't think it would be terrible on the street considering it has a 15.6:1 ratio. Lets see, the stock steering rack is 20:1 so there will be a very noticeable improvement. Is it streetable? Well a stock RX-8 has a ratio of 16.4:1; close-ish. I would drive it on the street.

I'm not really digging having to shuffle so much at autocross. This rack needs to happen soon.
There are more than a few OEM steering racks with steering ratios in the 13:1 range: BMW Z3, some models of Corvette C4, among others. They are perfectly fine on the street, but you can feel their quicker racks.

DSC_9387-M.jpg

The Mustang racks are fairly slow, to be honest. Autocrossers will often go to a much smaller diameter wheel to speed things up.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i gotta stop reading this forum. Yesterday i was perfectly happy with my steering rack. Now I think I need a $700 rack.

ok fivelinkcobra i'll bite, how much for the rack?

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
I know I posted earlier stating that stock was 20:1, but I can't find my reference now. Can you please post your source that states the factory S197 rack is the same ratio as the FR500C rack? I'd be interested to know.

Jack Hidley

Reaction score
Considering the ratio of the steering rack without taking into account the wheelbase of the car is meaningless. You need to look at both to determine what the vehicle turning radius per degree of steering wheel change is.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back