Freeze plugs

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I am finishing up a rebuild on my 4.6 3v and I need a few freeze plugs that weren’t in the kit I ordered. I need the one for the oil passages on the front by the water pump and the rear behind the rear cover. I also need one for the side of the heads. For the life of me I can not seem to find any and the rockauto kits do not include them. They seem to measure to 14mm and 18mm for the front and rear. Any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If you have the old freeze plugs or general size then go to a quality auto parts store or an automotive machine shop specializing in rebuilt motors. They will have a metal drawer with assorted freeze plugs and you can match them up. Dorman and Pioneer are the brands I remember.

I am sure there are other options but thats what I have done in the past when I needed an oddball or unknown size.

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I have them all figured out except for the one that’s on the back of the engine that gets covered by the rear cover. I’m at a loss. Unfortunately I threw the original away.

Jwood562

Reaction score
head to the dealership.

usually they pull up the schematic and can pinpoint parts

Back