Friction modifier

Reaction score
I want to change my diff fluid for piece of mind. But since I'm in europe, its hard to get a hold of motorcraft friction modifier. I can order some, but itll be 30-40 bucks by the time it gets here including shipping and tax.

Many of the diff oils available here are for LSD's, according to the label. I assume these come with friction modifiying additives already.

Can I run this oil straight, or should seperate friction modifier still be added? I read conflicting opinions everywhere.

Stock '05 GT diff with 50k miles. Thanks!

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Most, if not all 75w-140 hypoid gear lubes claim to have the required friction modifiers already added but Ford calls for the use of 75w - 140 AND the addition of their modifier. I'm gonna use the Royal Purple 75w-140 stuff and add the Motorcraft modifier as well.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Or you could get a Torsen differential, they specifically state NOT to use the friction modifier. And, you can accelerate much earlier when exiting a turn.... Just my 2 cents

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I've ran Royal Purple in the past without extra modifier with no issues. Chances are Ford is saying to run the friction modifier because the Motorcraft stuff doesn't have it already.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or you could get a Torsen differential, they specifically state NOT to use the friction modifier. And, you can accelerate much earlier when exiting a turn.... Just my 2 cents
that's not at all an economically smart choice, all he wants to do is change out his fluid, no where does suggest he road races the car.

Reaction score
I've ran Royal Purple in the past without extra modifier with no issues. Chances are Ford is saying to run the friction modifier because the Motorcraft stuff doesn't have it already.

My thoughts exactly. So I was wondering if anyone ever had a chattering diff with running just an oil containing pre mixed lsd additives.

ixtlan

Reaction score
AMSOIL Fan here.
You will need to add the modifier too that is $7.00 more.
Weight is really a choice for you.
The recommended is for fuel economy to help meet those retarded CAFE standards.
Thats up to you.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Put the stuff in with the friction modifier. If it stutters or chatters add some friction modifier to it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Any friction modifier will do the job, there are many brands friction modifiers. I have found a lot of diff oils claim to have the additive yet the limited slip will still chatter without adding a friction modifier on top of the diff fluid.
Do they sell Fords new in the Netherlands? The dealer may be an option.

Reaction score
Any friction modifier will do the job, there are many brands friction modifiers. I have found a lot of diff oils claim to have the additive yet the limited slip will still chatter without adding a friction modifier on top of the diff fluid.
Do they sell Fords new in the Netherlands? The dealer may be an option.

Yeah they sell lots of fords, but mustangs since 2015 only. Ford Europe has a lot of models though.

I actually found Royal Purple Maxgear 75w140 for an ok price. Guess ill try that, thanks!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Yeah they sell lots of fords, but mustangs since 2015 only. Ford Europe has a lot of models though.

I actually found Royal Purple Maxgear 75w140 for an ok price. Guess ill try that, thanks!
The 2015 would use the same stuff, the parts department should have it if you still need it after the Royal Purple.
The trucks and any rear wheel drive platform Ford makes with a trac-loc will use the same additive. I'm not sure what the market is there.

Reaction score
The 2015 would use the same stuff, the parts department should have it if you still need it after the Royal Purple.
The trucks and any rear wheel drive platform Ford makes with a trac-loc will use the same additive. I'm not sure what the market is there.

No rwd cars apart from the s550. But good thinking, they should have it now that they sell and maintain S550s officially!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
How many kilometers on the car? Do you really NEED to change it? Check the owners manual for service interval. I've seen "lifetime" fluid, never needs changing in several of my car's manual. That said, I take that as 100K miles, or 160,000 Km in your case.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock '05 GT diff with 50k miles. Thanks!

How many kilometers on the car? Do you really NEED to change it? Check the owners manual for service interval. I've seen "lifetime" fluid, never needs changing in several of my car's manual. That said, I take that as 100K miles, or 160,000 Km in your case.

RIF

Reaction score
Ha yes, 50k miles right now. And the service history sais it was changed 2 years ago.

However, I'm replacing all the fluids for piece of mind so I know whats in it. My OCD I guess. Also, it has a slight whine on very light throttle.. I know fluid isnt going to fix that, but I would sleep better knowing its got fresh 75w140.

Specially since it will be my transport for roadtrip to the Le Mans 24h this year!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Zijn er veel mustangs in de Nederlands? Mijn nederlands is niet zo goed als vroeger. It's been almost 30 years since I was there. I went to an international boarding school in Eerde, just outside of Zwolle. I lived up north in Groningen.

The Ford stuff should work out for you, or royal purple.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score

I was wondering about that. Wonder why Ford would leave out those additives when virtually every other 75w-140 gear oil has them? Would there be any adverse events if the Ford modifier is added to the RP gear oil?

furst7

Reaction score
I personally have tried to run without the friction modifier and it chatters badly. This was with Mobil 1 made for limited slip. I had to put a bottle in and it stopped chattering.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back