front strut broken bolt

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so i am installing tokicos. Therw are 2 bolts that attach the strut to the spindle. both of ththem i have removed the nut. bottom bolt i have slid out also. but both sides top bolt will not come out. broke the head off one side. the bolts themselves will just not spin. aapplied tons of pb blaster already. The bottom bolt slides out. is the top bolt threaded intp the spindle? any tips? sorry for grammer, typing on my phone.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
They should both slide out. The spindle is not threaded. If it won't spin, it's likely rusted in there. Hit it with some heat in addition to the pb blaster.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Wow it must be in there good. I put the nut back on flush with the bolt and beat the crap outta it. Hasnt moved. Dont have a torch but a friend might, Ill see if hes still got it, thanks for the info!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You should have jackstands under the car frame, then you can use your floor jack under the A arm to raise/lower the strut and release the tension. It will slip right out if you get the weight off it.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
There is no tension. I can undo all bolts but that one and freely pivot the strut on that bolt. The only place its being held is in the spindle. Ive now also drilled the spindle out. Hardly a wall left of the bolt. Pound it either way and no go.

I put the nut all the way on again, and since the head is broke, tightened it up hoping to draw the bolt through. 3ft cheater bar on my ratchet and all im doing is stripping the nut. I got no heat, but Ive never had this much of a problem getting a bolt out.

Since the head is broke off, I should be able to pound the bolt out either way right?

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
And just for reference:

Heres the bolt ive drilled out, followed by a side shot. Last pic is the other side which isnt turning either, gonna be the same fight. Also, looking at the first pic, is that hole elongated?

spindlenut1.jpg

spindlebolt2.jpg

spindlebolt3.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Use another old bolt as a punch. Stick it in the hole where the stuck bolt is recessed and pound it through. BFH.
I'd also stick the other bolt in the other hole while you're doing it to keep everything lined up. You can take the loose bolt out after the stuck one is dealt with.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
GRAPHIC
Be VERY careful of those struts. That's exactly he this guy lost his finger tip.

Damn, Dave's gonna be proud.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
LOL cpr, I am not even gonna watch that. Looks gross just from the still picture! I know the dangers. I got a strut spring compressor, if I ever get this bolt out to use it. Sqwerl, Since I drilled out it, Ive had a punch in and been nailing it fairly hard. Still nothing. The strut is completely free, if I lower the jack right down, I can pivot the assembly on that bolt. So its just really stuck in the spindle. Taking a break for a bit as my arms are killing me. And I probably have to go through the same thing with the other side. These d-specs better be worth it lol.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Do you have anything under that control arm supporting it? You've got a lot of spring tension fighting you right now, and as soon as you remove that last bolt, it's all letting go.

Put a jack under the balljoint part of the control arm and jack it up an inch or so to take the tension off those bolts you're removing.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
You have to lift the strut up from the bottom to deload the bolt. Then use a punch with a big ass hammer and bang the bolt out. Also could try alternating heat + penetrating oil to burn any corrosion out, just be careful around struts with a torch.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Do you have anything under that control arm supporting it? You've got a lot of spring tension fighting you right now, and as soon as you remove that last bolt, it's all letting go.

Put a jack under the balljoint part of the control arm and jack it up an inch or so to take the tension off those bolts you're removing.

This is why I suggested sticking another bolt in the other hole temporarily while he works on the stuck one. No sense on having everything bust loose the instant the stuck bolt comes out.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Finally smashed it out! Reason it was so hard, it was a camber bolt.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-proalign-bolts-0512.html

These have to be ordered dont they? Cant just pick them up at an auto parts store?

Another thing I was thinking, was just get the regular spindle bolts, and spin the bearing 180 degrees as in this thread: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62884&highlight=facing

That should at least get me up and running for the weekend.

Or just have -2 degrees of camber and see if an alignment shop can still pull it in. I don't trust camber bolts.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
Ya I am putting regular bolts back in. I flipped the strut mounts like I mentioned in the above thread. Ill update once I get an alignment, see if they could pull it in. Worst comes to worst its 5 minutes to zip off the strut bolts up top and spin the mount back to normal.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have the part number for the strut to spindle bolts? I ordered MM camber plates to install along with these koni's I have sitting in the garage. I was reading install instructions and it says to buy new strut to spindle bolts since they're one time use only. Couldn't find the bolt on tousley's site and want to see if my local ford has them in stock.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Ford has updated the bolts and nuts to fine thread.

The part numbers are:

Bolt: -W714652-S439.
Nut: -W714653-S900.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
MM sells those upgraded/updated bolts. Add them to your order.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back