FRPP clutch pack noise

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
I had new FRPP "carbon" clutch packs installed when I had my 4.10 gears put in. I've got about 750 miles on them and I've been noticing a groaning noise when taking tight right turns. As when turning to the right at speed, there is a slight jutter than I can fell. The shop put in Royal Purple gear oil without friction modifier. Now I've searched and found people that say you need to run friction modifier with RP and people that say you don't. Does this sound like a part or install issue or should I just put some friction modifier in?

Corpo

I
Reaction score
I had new FRPP "carbon" clutch packs installed when I had my 4.10 gears put in. I've got about 750 miles on them and I've been noticing a groaning noise when taking tight right turns. As when turning to the right at speed, there is a slight jutter than I can fell. The shop put in Royal Purple gear oil without friction modifier. Now I've searched and found people that say you need to run friction modifier with RP and people that say you don't. Does this sound like a part or install issue or should I just put some friction modifier in?

Adding the friction modifier can't hurt. Please report back if it helps. I just did a fresh rebuild without. It would be nice to know if I should add it. My last rebuild I used rp and the modifier, I didn't have any problems.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
if the clutch packs have already started to wear into the steel plates, it wont make a difference. try XL-3 first but im gonna put my money your gonna have to replace them again.

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to call the shop that installed it and see what they say as well. Sounds like a part or install issue to me.

screaming_pc

Reaction score

When I bought by bullitt new, after getting everything warm, I would pull into my driveway and have the same groan.

I researched on the net and at the next oil change, I had the dealer add some friction modifier.

I haven't had the noise since, and it doesn't seem to effect the clutch at all since i still spin both tires at the same time when I get on it.

I was worried that if i was modifying the friction in there, that i would get the one wheel peel.

All is well.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score

I had to put friction modifier in mine, same situation. 4.10 install with synthetic fluid (Mobil 1 in my case).

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, I will go to grab some friction modifier from the dealer and see if that helps. I guess for a couple of bucks it's worth a shot.

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
I have a T/A cover. Does anyone know the size of the fill hole allen? All of mine are too small, so I need to grab a bigger one tomorrow.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Without the friction modifier it doesn't allow the clutches to slip as freely during tight turns which creates a spool effect/sound. Doesn't hurt a thing. I like the sound actually

NickS

slow3v
Reaction score

I had changed my fluid but left stock clutches in a while back at about 75k. Put Mobil1 Full Synth "LS" fluid without the modifier in and I had identical symptoms. Added a little friction modifier and it never fully corrected it, but made it more livable.

Last week a buddy and I dropped the entire rear end and completely rebuilt it. I stayed with my factory 3.55's but all the bearings/seals etc were replaced and I dropped in the FRPP carbon clutches (which when working properly KICK ASS). I used Castrol synthetic 75w-90 "LS" fluid but with 4-5oz of the friction modifier found @ Autozone. Even from the first mile, zero groan and zero chatter but INSTANT lock when its meant to. Completely changed the car, entering corners at speed and getting on the throttle now allows me to point the car per se, its just a great feeling.

Add some modifier and you should be all set. Sorry for the essay, lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back