FRPP Hot Rods Vs. Detroit Rocker....

rz79

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen...

The purpose of this thread is to get honest opinions of which cam set you feel is more worth the $$$... Ive tried using the search button ( so please dont chastise ) but cant really find the answer to my question...

Im purley looking for the greatest power gain possible and am not sure which way to go. Obviously driveability, reliability are also important. Im not concerned with lopey sound as im not old enough to remember the good ol' days and staying with FRP isnt an issue for me either.

Currently my car is a 2008 Bullitt with :
- Pypes longtubes - Steeda under drive pullie
-o/r H - Breenspeed 93 Oct tune
- Mangnaflow 3" - Dynotech Aluminum 3.5" Driveshaft

Any personal experience with either set or info would greatly be apperciated, Thank you for your time guys...

Oh and thank your for helping keep my blue oval in front of my friends ws6, and neck a neck with a 6.0 GTO!

spedly

forum member
Reaction score
If you want power and don't care if it lopes neither of those cams. Are you willing to add limiters or valve springs?

rz79

Reaction score
Ahh i should have stated... I want to keep stock springs, VCT ability... Sorry

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Don't know enough about the Detroit rockers yet to answer that question. They just came out not too long ago.

I was recommend not to go with the HotRods or Thumpers back when I was looking last year for NSR cams, I was told a comp stage 1 NSR cam would be more benefical for power gains. Like he said above, what is more important to ya sound or power?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I gained 33 hp3/tq with the HR cams and Kooks LT's/catted H pipe install; if sound is not high on your list you may want to look elsewhere. When I was shopping for cams I spoke at length with BBR and was told they had seen the HR's make as much power as their stage 1 cams. If and when you look at BBR's cams remember they had 2 cams they were selling; 1 was a regrind by Comp which they have stopped selling and then their new cams are billet core's ground by Comp to their specs...so when people with the BBR cams chime in you need to specify which cams they have.

In the discussion with BBR I was told they did not have much luck power wise with the Comp NSR series cams....the HR's and the BBR cams made better power than the Comp NSR cams.

The install of the NSR cams is straight forward and easy, it took me an hour to get the valve covers off and then 1-2 hours to do the swap of the cams.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Ive got hot rods also. I picked up 41hp at the same time I did a 4.10 install so it probably was a little bit more. Keep in mind, I am supercharged. However, if lope and sound isnt important to you, I would say to save up a little bit more money and get some bigger cams and replace the valve springs and such. Youll def. get a way more power gain and itll be worth the extra effort.

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
both seem to have same gains. both drive good when tuned right. prob come down to cost.

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
Here is some info on 4 people in my club who wondered the same question.. Ford racing cam was easiest to install and you can install it without a tune, BUT RECOMMEND GETTING one, We installed my ford cam and drove it 33 miles to the tune shop. were it was dead on with SCT results board. 340/339 with my mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodadejss06gt
Ok here is my question, Wow do you have a CAI? I'd assume with everything else you probably do. I want to know how with the addition of udp and dp that you dynoed 323.00 RWHP and 302.92 Torque, while 07 vert got 320 at the wheels with torque of 311. Is it the fact that you have 4.10's and thats making the dyno read low??? I would think the udp and dp would be good for a few more than that. I know you don't care about numbers, but wouldn't you expect to see yours dyno a few more than 07verts?

I can answer your question with our group data. my mustang friends and i wondered which was the best cam to get. between Ford racing cam, Blow by Racing cam, brenspeed cam, and Comp cams no springs required big mutha thumpa cam, all these were the hot rod cam No springs required...

The common factor between all 4 mustangs was we all had the following: bbk 62mm throttle body, long tube headers, pro-chamber, steeda UDP, steeda delete plates, aluminum drive shaft, aluminum flywheel and clutch, JLT II cold air intake all are 5speed maunual, we all have 4.10 gears, electric water pump, aluminum radiator,

we all had the basic bold-on's before the cam all tunes were custom and done by DYNOSPEED featured in 5.0 magazine who also built some of the KOTS winners for 2005, 2006, 2007 .

car 1 ford racing cam (tuned by dynospeed)
before cam 323rwhp 319rtq after cam 340rwhp 339rtq

car 2 blow by racing cam tuned by dynospeed
before cam 306rwhp 298rtq after cam 357rwhp 323torque
dynospeed said that the believe if the car had aftermarket injectors it could have hit into the 365-380 range as they advertise b/c the computer on the dynojet reported there wasn't enough fuel being sent so the stock injectors of his car was topping out.

car 3 mutha thumpa cam tuned by dynospeed
before cam 315rwhp ???rtq after cam 350rqhp 331torque

car 4 brenspeed cam ( this one was tuned in Houston)
before 303rwhp 289tq after cam 310whp 299torque
(we think the tune shop in houston messed up his tune b/c his numbers don't add up) plus this guy has ported MMR heads.... dynospeed is going to retune it next friday so we all are waiting to see his true numbers. we know he should be way higher than us b/c of his mmr heads.
we have another guy who had the brenspeed cam and he said it made 337rwhp and 320torque

Ford racing cam will probably give you more torque out of all of them with ported ford racing heads, but blow-by racing cam will give you more rwhp.

rz79

Reaction score
Here is some info on 4 people in my club who wondered the same question.. Ford racing cam was easiest to install and you can install it without a tune, BUT RECOMMEND GETTING one, We installed my ford cam and drove it 33 miles to the tune shop. were it was dead on with SCT results board. 340/339 with my mods.

Quote:
Ok here is my question, Wow do you have a CAI? I'd assume with everything else you probably do. I want to know how with the addition of udp and dp that you dynoed 323.00 RWHP and 302.92 Torque, while 07 vert got 320 at the wheels with torque of 311. Is it the fact that you have 4.10's and thats making the dyno read low??? I would think the udp and dp would be good for a few more than that. I know you don't care about numbers, but wouldn't you expect to see yours dyno a few more than 07verts?

I can answer your question with our group data. my mustang friends and i wondered which was the best cam to get. between Ford racing cam, Blow by Racing cam, brenspeed cam, and Comp cams no springs required big mutha thumpa cam, all these were the hot rod cam No springs required...

The common factor between all 4 mustangs was we all had the following: bbk 62mm throttle body, long tube headers, pro-chamber, steeda UDP, steeda delete plates, aluminum drive shaft, aluminum flywheel and clutch, JLT II cold air intake all are 5speed maunual, we all have 4.10 gears, electric water pump, aluminum radiator,

we all had the basic bold-on's before the cam all tunes were custom and done by DYNOSPEED featured in 5.0 magazine who also built some of the KOTS winners for 2005, 2006, 2007 .

dynospeed said that the believe if the car had aftermarket injectors it could have hit into the 365-380 range as they advertise b/c the computer on the dynojet reported there wasn't enough fuel being sent so the stock injectors of his car was topping out.

(we think the tune shop in houston messed up his tune b/c his numbers don't add up) plus this guy has ported MMR heads.... dynospeed is going to retune it next friday so we all are waiting to see his true numbers. we know he should be way higher than us b/c of his mmr heads.
we have another guy who had the brenspeed cam and he said it made 337rwhp and 320torque

Ford racing cam will probably give you more torque out of all of them with ported ford racing heads, but blow-by racing cam will give you more rwhp.

Wow! Thanks for the info!
The blow by cammed car was N/A and picked up 50 rwhp from cams?!?! Also the breenspeed car was so lack luster! Hmmm... This is gonna be one of those shot in the dark type calls...
I will have to look into the BBR cams also but due to poor driveability i think thumper cams are a no go as i hear they suck at low speeds

I gained 33 hp3/tq with the HR cams and Kooks LT's/catted H pipe install; if sound is not high on your list you may want to look elsewhere. When I was shopping for cams I spoke at length with BBR and was told they had seen the HR's make as much power as their stage 1 cams. If and when you look at BBR's cams remember they had 2 cams they were selling; 1 was a regrind by Comp which they have stopped selling and then their new cams are billet core's ground by Comp to their specs...so when people with the BBR cams chime in you need to specify which cams they have.

In the discussion with BBR I was told they did not have much luck power wise with the Comp NSR series cams....the HR's and the BBR cams made better power than the Comp NSR cams.

The install of the NSR cams is straight forward and easy, it took me an hour to get the valve covers off and then 1-2 hours to do the swap of the cams.
Thanks Greg! I have ruffly the same mods as you, i appreciate your comment!

Last edited by a moderator:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
driveablity with my hot rod cams is spot on...theyre a little fussy in the morning when the cars cold...but after a couple min its just fine.

something to remember...when you make a change like this to a car, if you expect 100% stock driveablity, then you need to keep your stock cam.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
driveablity with my hot rod cams is spot on...theyre a little fussy in the morning when the cars cold...but after a couple min its just fine.

something to remember...when you make a change like this to a car, if you expect 100% stock driveablity, then you need to keep your stock cam.

I'd say my cams drive 98-99% like stock. Just put down 337rwhp/323rwtq with the mods in my sig. I was just curious to see what I put down prior to installing the blower. So I had Mike @ MAP strap it down real quick when I went to pick up the paxton. I am going to post a thread later today with the dyno sheet and other info for anyone that cares (I have had a few folks ask what my numbers where with the cams and what not).

Basically the only bolt-ons I don't have are pulleys and a TB. These numbers are with 4.10's, stock DS, BBR email tune and 19's.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
driveablity with my hot rod cams is spot on...theyre a little fussy in the morning when the cars cold...but after a couple min its just fine. .

Had the HotRod's on my N/A GT, they sounded incredible and made good power from 4k+, tuner bumped the redline up to 6400 RPM cuz thats where they made peak power. Car was dyno tuned for the cams by a reputable local tuner and made 302/300 on a Mustang Dyno w/ Stock Cats, CAI & Delete plates.

Drivability was fine until you were in heavy traffic, the cams tend to buck (5spd/3.31 rear) below 1,500 RPM, not a big deal for normal driving but traffic made it absolutely miserable.

Dont expect the smoothness your used to with the stockers, your car will shake at idle but man, when you get in the car its exciting!

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score

Quote:

Go ahead and add another one to the list. My FRPP cams were tuned at Dynospeed as well. I put down 328/328 on his dyno, but I didn't have delete plates at the time. I also don't have the radiator, water pump, driveshaft, flywheel/clutch, or throttle body so yeah I'd say with those it would be over 350.

Edit: Hey I have a question for you guys since Joe tuned your cars too....Did he disable all 02 sensors and tune the car in closed loop ? He turned all 02 sensors off on my tune. Could be due to the nitrous tho....

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
347 whp/338 tq with comp NSR 127200 cams

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back