fuel not siphoning from one side of tank to other

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of searching and I cannot find this.

basically I have the gt500 fuel system upgrade. I have checked and double checked my wiring several diffrent times against a few diffrent wiring diagrams. all my wiring is straight.

basically what happens is when my gas guage gets down between 3/8 and 1/2 it starts going haywire. it starts to drop down to E then rise back up randomly. then after about 30 or less miles of this I putter out of gas.

I get gas and put it in. the tank tops off and wants to overflow at 7 1/2 gallons.

I am going to check my wiring yet again tomorrow though I am sure all should be straight. my best guess is the siphon tube fell off. but I can't change that now because I just filled it up.

any other ideas? has anybody else had this problem?

thanks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed, as I recall oftentimes it's the siphon tube that has come off, so no flow from one tank to the other.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
did some more searching. going to have to wait till I burn enough feul out of the tank to pull that hat out. going to have to check the ds side of the siphon tube and somebody on another forum mentioned pulling the pass side hat out and checking that side also.

any more ideas feel free to post up.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
did some more searching. going to have to wait till I burn enough feul out of the tank to pull that hat out. going to have to check the ds side of the siphon tube and somebody on another forum mentioned pulling the pass side hat out and checking that side also.

any more ideas feel free to post up.

If you pull the passenger side out with out draining the tank it will spill gas all over. I would run the car to 1/2 tank and then pull drivers side to be sure the tube is hooked up on the pump assembly. If it isn't then see about getting some of the gas out the passenger side and pulling it. It was probably knocked off or fell off during installation of the GT500 system.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds liek your level sender may be damaged as well as the siphon not working, start by checking what you recently worked on first, so the drivers side siphon crossover connection on the hat.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
can I get a new sender without replacing the whole hat?

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
ok got down and dirty today with it

but I did some digging first and found this thread

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80544&highlight=fuel+tank+siphon

so before I started pulling things apart I found my stock hat and that my factory fuel siphon is diff than the GT500 siphon that is in the tank.

however upon physically seeing the GT500 siphon that is in the tank I noticed something. it is a 2 piece siphon and one piece was totally disconnected from the other. so I clipped it back together. gave it a good jiggle to make sure it was tight and put it back in the tank.

just topped off the tank completely to make sure both sides were equal. set the trip odomiter to make sure my fuel guage reading was consistant with my miles drive....and now until it gets back down to half.....the waiting game.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that fixes it! Yeah i have seen the gt500 siphons come apart before. Bad design imho. Whenever I upgrade the gt500 fuel hats with bigger pumps I swap in a gt hat siphon for this reason.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back