fuel pump hat locking ring

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
could not get it back on today after pulling the fuel hat for the second time. after trying for hours to get it back in we decided to call it a day. its pretty abused and bent from trying to lock it in place. any one have trouble with this or any tips to get it back in? Does ford stock or sell them, didnt see a part number on it anywhere. Thanks

usafimj

Reaction score
When I did my GT500 fuel kit swap it took me all of a few minutes to get the lock ring all the way. Couple taps with a screwdriver on different sides and no problem at all.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wish you were closer, I have two sitting right here that I'm getting ready to chuck at the neighbors.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I did my GT500 fuel kit swap it took me all of a few minutes to get the lock ring all the way. Couple taps with a screwdriver on different sides and no problem at all.

That is what happened the first time we re-installed it, took it for a drive around the block and all was well; Jeremy went to leave and the car started missing, FP dropped to 5lbs, we took it out and found one of the crush clamps had come off one of the fuel lines connected to the Y, put a worm clamp on and from that point on we could not get the locking ring back on..4 hours of trying to no avail..we even took the locking ring off the other side to see if we could get that to lock and we could not so we stopped there so we would only have 1 bad ring vice 2.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you got in on once, sounds like the hat wasn't seated all the way down the second attempt

07 s197

forum member
Reaction score
why do you keep thinking you have a bad ring? Nothing is wrong with it lol. The hat just isn't sitting in there all the way

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you can see the ring you would understand..after 4 hours of trying to get it in it is not as round/flat as it originally was.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah the ring is in pretty bad shape. We realixed it wasnt sitting flat so we messed with the hat over and over until finaly you could push it down on one side and it was flat on the gasket all the way around, but the damn locking ring doesnt sit flat on the hat and we didt have enough hands to hold each of the 7 locking points down flat so they would slide under the tabs. A couple times we would get 3-4 of the tabs to go but the others wouldnt. And are hands are cut up to shit from messign with that shit for so long lol. At this point were not up for trying it again untit we have a new ring.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...we didt have enough hands to hold each of the 7 locking points down flat so they would slide under the tabs.
You only need one set of hands. Look closely, there are some features on the ring that allow you to push it down and set it in place temporarily, before you do any turning. It obviously won't hold a seal in that state, but you can go hands-off, drink a beer, and then get ready to do the turning. It's designed that way on purpose, so one person can put it in place.

I feel your pain... I've spent my fair share of time with my fat ass crammed in the back seat with fuel spraying all over the place.

I'd buy a new ring and O-ring, if I were you.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank God his car is a vert so we don't have to stay hunched over all the time..I cannot imagine the pain this would have been in a coupe.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah the vert makes it easier to get to at least and we will def check out these locking tabs that hold it in place, still not sure if the ring we have is gonna work cause it mauled quite a bit. Got a new locking ring on the way and i also have a new o-ring but gonna use the oem first but have this one in case i damage it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Turns out the top of the fuel hat itself got bent, noticed the 2 tabs that lock it after it being pointed out, one was bent and the top of the hat is bent too. It would have been nice if the paxton/gt500 install instruction said something about these tabs.

So now i guess i need to find an oem fuel hat and transefer over the top part, or cough up some $$$ for a force precision hat.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Eddie or the junk yards will have one and we can have it up and running! All this thanks to a shitty crush clamp falling off the hose...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back