Fuel pump upgrade

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Ok yeah I was looking at the hpx they are a good price for them

I found a hpx used for 140 shipped that I'm gonna use. I decided I wanted the resolution it provided in hopes for improved drivability.

Still curious about the comments above about wb405 tuning if anyone has more they can share

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah the hpx seems like the way to go plus I won't have to worry about it down the road when I'm ready to make more power, and for the price of them it be stupid not to imo

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Walbro 405 running 7-8 psi on a stock motor with 60# injectors running 91 or e85 and its nowhere near tapped out. I still haven't installed my wire upgrade or line upgrade. Saving up to go with a Fore return setup.

My tuner has trouble fine tuning the 405 returnless. Says its a pain for idle/light load. I don't really notice it as far as driving, but I can see it on the livewire. He said he would prefer no bigger than the 340lph pumps in a returnless setup but I want to go twin 405 for my built motor build. Pretty much gonna build BruceH's 5.3, slap a 3.45 pulley on the D1 and let it rip on e85. Worried I'll need 100# injectors lol.

What is so hard about 405 tuning if I might ask?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just a high flowing pump compared to stock so requires actual manual tuning work vice plug and play info in the tables. This is where you will find there are many different kinds of tuners out there and what they are actually capable of doing. Some tuners refuse to tune it (Lund,Brenspeed etc) Where as other have no trouble (Lito, MAP).

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah the hpx seems like the way to go plus I won't have to worry about it down the road when I'm ready to make more power, and for the price of them it be stupid not to imo

I guess you could put the stocker in a larger pipe but the resolution could make drivability a PITA. Just keep eye open they pop up all the time for around 150 shipped

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll do that thanks, can't wait until the spring to get it all together!

Lucky for me my motor is out so I gotta wait. I'm assembling a large number of pieces so when I do put it back together I will have no idea which one is causing me issues :lmaf:

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
Hah well hopefully nothing does and you can just enjoy it when all is done, that's what I'm hoping for but I think as long as my tuner(whoever I decide to go with) does a good job and knows what he's doing I shouldn't have an issue

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a good local tuner, I would recommend lito for a remote datalog tune. The best in that field for the 3v imho. He has tuned pretty much everyone of my budget returnless pump setups I have built and is a very knowledgeable tuner.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
I'll give him a pm thanks I think my nearest tuner is about an hour and a half and I'll drive it if I need to buy a remote tune would be nice it'll save me the gas money ha

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Hah well hopefully nothing does and you can just enjoy it when all is done, that's what I'm hoping for but I think as long as my tuner(whoever I decide to go with) does a good job and knows what he's doing I shouldn't have an issue

I can say that Randy Carter tuned my car remotely prior to me having my AEM wideband and he did a good job just shaping the curves. I think the car was .2 or something off on a NA tune when we finally checked with wideband. I can give you his email if you pm me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back