Fuel Tank Issues

pondroski

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else is having issues when trying to fill up at a gas station. Every since I bought my '05 Mustang several months ago when I try to fill up using the automatic feature of the nozzle it will not work. It starts to fill but prematurely clicks off and basically I have to hold the lever the whole time. I have tried to reposition the nozzle(farther in or out) with no success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
this is well known.

not tech btw, prepare to be moved.

flip the nozzle 180* around so handle is upside down

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ive just gotten used to gassing up with the trigger only partially depressed lol. There is a fix but it hasnt been a big enough issue that I went out of my way to correct.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Also, quit topping off the tank. You've most likely flooded the carbon filter (emissions crap) so it may take a while for it to dry out enough to work again. Or you might need to replace it.

But you ABSOLUTELY need to HANG UP THE NOZZLE ONCE IT SHUTS OFF. If you think you need to 'round up' to the next even dollar or whatever, you are fucking up. Every time you do that, you are making the problem worse the next time you need to pump gas. This is the only long term solution. Every single person will deny they top off the tank but you can stand at the gas pumps and watch every single person pumping gas and they all do it. So I'm not going to argue whether or not you top off the tank and just tell you to stop doing it.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Put your hip against the side of the car at the very rear and shake the car when you first start fueling up. After 10-15 seconds the right side of the tank will burp(no you can't hear it). Then you can fill it at full on the gas lever. My 05 does it as well as my company truck(2012 Chevy). It works every time. Just make sure your against it at the corner so you don't deny the quarter panel.

Sent from iPhone

don-ohio

Reaction score
I fill mine up fully by topping off and with 100K on my 05,never a problem.
I DON'T stand there and squeeze every cent I can get into it,but I make it click off at least 3 or 4 times. No emissions problems ever. don-ohio :)^)

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
in other word, the answer: learn to deal with it and know how to get gas in even when it happens. Sure you may get a funny look when inverting the nozzle: special fueling mode for a special vehicle!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back