Full car wrap vs. full car dip

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
The wife and I are planning on going to the local vinyl shop Friday to look into wrapping the car. We originally wanted a grabber blue car, but we got a deal on this one so this is where we landed. I absolutely despise maintaining this black paint.

I got a ballpark quote last year for $2400 for a full wrap (minus the roof) I'm prepared to pay that, give or take, and the wife is on board.

But...the cheapskate side of me knows that for around $500, I can buy the full pro-kit from Dip Your Car. I'm pretty sure I have the ability to do this myself and it's the kind of thing I'd halfway enjoy doing. I LOVE how DYC's Mustang turned out when they dipped it blue a few months back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfZG4VT9FI

I'm concerned about the dip's rubber texture though. I know their glossifier and the top coat should alleviate a lot of that, but haven't seen it in person.

Is the vinyl going to be $2000 better quality? The $$ savings would make it easier to get new wheels, since I don't think the bronze will work with a blue car.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Vinyl is going to hold up a heck of a lot better. Everything I've ever seen plastidipped ends up looking like crap after about a month.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Every plastidip car I've seen looks good from 10ft, but the texture is shit and it doesn't take any time at all for it to look like garbage.

$2,400 is a pretty reasonable price for wrapping - if I were in the market, that'd be my choice.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen a quite a few professionally dipped cars in person and still have yet to see one that looks good up close. IMO wrap is worth the extra $$

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
The texture of dipped cars looks very similar to that of the textured pieces of trim on your car. Alot of it is dependent on how well you prep and if you lay your coats down properly and with the right time between each coat. The real appealing part is the fact that you can change colors so much easier and cheaper than vinyl. Downside is that it doesnt look as quality as vinyl. Also keep in mind that dips will fade quickly. There is UV protectants you can buy along with the dip I believe that will help but just know that it wont be a long lasting look like vinyls do. Just depends on what youre willing to accept in terms of quality and longevity.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
It looks like you guys are going to make this easy, lol. I've never seen a dipped car in person, just in pictures and videos. This is the info I was looking for :peace:

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
Get it wrapped. I got mine wrapped Satin Canyon Copper. It looks amazing except for the lack of attention to detail by the person who wrapped mine.

Make sure you go over all the details with that wrap installer. Make sure everything is in writing and make sure he/they are insured. I got screwed over on a wrap by a so called 3m certified installer.

If the installer isn't trained properly you can end up with color fade marks (For heating and stretching the vinyl) and original paint showing thru the seams.

What ever you do dont go to Excellent Wraps in Clifton NJ. They are crooks and unless it isnt in writing they will deny ever agreeing to doing a job well done.... scumbags...

Anyway, make sure you have everything in writing, Dont be a dumbass like me.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
While on the topic of wraps...

I was thinking of getting an aftermarket fiberglass hood and having just the hood wrapped in a carbon-fiber vinyl. But how would that look? Would it look like REAL carbon fiber, with that parallax effect you get, or would it look like a crappy sticker?

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
If you want it grabber blue have you priced having it painted. Might not be too far out of your budget. I dont like vinyl or plastidip. Vinyl is better but its still alot of money for essentially a large sticker and while it will last awhile it will still fail.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Get it wrapped. I got mine wrapped Satin Canyon Copper. It looks amazing except for the lack of attention to detail by the person who wrapped mine.

Make sure you go over all the details with that wrap installer. Make sure everything is in writing and make sure he/they are insured. I got screwed over on a wrap by a so called 3m certified installer.

If the installer isn't trained properly you can end up with color fade marks (For heating and stretching the vinyl) and original paint showing thru the seams.

What ever you do dont go to Excellent Wraps in Clifton NJ. They are crooks and unless it isnt in writing they will deny ever agreeing to doing a job well done.... scumbags...

Anyway, make sure you have everything in writing, Dont be a dumbass like me.

I should be in good shape. The local shop has been getting some kick ass reviews since it opened a few years ago. A quick Google search absolutely proves that if the materials and install isn't quality, a wrap can look like shit for sure.

Your car looks pretty damn good!

If you want it grabber blue have you priced having it painted. Might not be too far out of your budget. I dont like vinyl or plastidip. Vinyl is better but its still alot of money for essentially a large sticker and while it will last awhile it will still fail.

I'd imagine a full repaint, including jams, under the trunk lid, under the hood, etc., would be very expensive. Anything under $5-6K and I'd be very suspicious of quality. Can anyone confirm?

Assuming we wrap it, we're not going to stick strictly by grabber blue. There will be too many options to limit ourselves to a stock color.

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
I always wanted to wrap a car with this matte metallic blue from 3M.

Lashway2.jpg

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I should be in good shape. The local shop has been getting some kick ass reviews since it opened a few years ago. A quick Google search absolutely proves that if the materials and install isn't quality, a wrap can look like shit for sure.

Your car looks pretty damn good!

I'd imagine a full repaint, including jams, under the trunk lid, under the hood, etc., would be very expensive. Anything under $5-6K and I'd be very suspicious of quality. Can anyone confirm?

Assuming we wrap it, we're not going to stick strictly by grabber blue. There will be too many options to limit ourselves to a stock color.
To give you an idea. My buddy had his 96 supra repainted the stock color. All they did was repaint all visible parts. Now with that said his particular color is sort of color shifting in a way( think Mystichrome) but it barely shifts from its blue color to a subtle green. That ran about $6k for him. No door jams, no under hood, no nothing. strictly visible area. So a respray, especially in a different color altogether, is going to be $$$$$

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Call me a cheap bastard, but i couldnt ever justify spending $2,300+ to wrap a car.

You can buy the materials yourself for about $3-400

I'm also debating wrapping my car or dipping it.
I think alot of people complaining about a dipped cars finish have an expectation in mind of it looking like paint. Its not paint, its not going to look like paint. It can be textured or smooth depending on how its sprayed. Its a rubberized coating and looks and feels like one.

With that in mind I still might Dip my car because it can be done for around $200 and in a day, and I like being able to change colors on a whim. If i decide i dont like it, or want a change i can peal it off and im not tossing $2,300 in the can.

Last edited:

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Vinyl is not a difficult material to work with. If you'll do the prep right and practice wrapping a few random things you can do it. The Mustang body is not all that complex, and as long as you have enough overage you can feel free to screw up, peel off that section, and start over on that panel. If you're willing to DIY dip you car, you should definitely be able to wrap your car.

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
I had mine dipped, lasted for over a year. I would dip it again (thinking about it) because I'm exactly in the same position as you (wanted grabber blue, couldn't find one).

Two things that you need to accept with dip:
-it will have texture
-it will never shine as much as vinyl or paint

if those two things don't bother you, then dip is the way. I loved the way my car looked and I didn't feel bad taking it off as it wasn't as expensive as vinyl.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had mine dipped, lasted for over a year. I would dip it again (thinking about it) because I'm exactly in the same position as you (wanted grabber blue, couldn't find one).

Two things that you need to accept with dip:
-it will have texture
-it will never shine as much as vinyl or paint

if those two things don't bother you, then dip is the way. I loved the way my car looked and I didn't feel bad taking it off as it wasn't as expensive as vinyl.
How did your paint look underneath after you peeled the 'dip off?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I always wanted to wrap a car with this matte metallic blue from 3M.

Lashway2.jpg

That looks amazing. Not many matte colors look great IMO, but that looks fantastic.

The guys on Youtube sure make wrapping your own car look easy, but I suspect it's not! At some point I may try wrapping small pieces to learn on, but for now I'm gonna have to open up the pocket book.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back