gas mileage only 14mpg?

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
Have any other of you v6 guys experienced this? It's weird Im filling up about every week and 50 bucks adds up after awhile! The only mods I have are full suspension mods and wheels and tires but I cant see that affecting it THAT much :wtf1:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's in 4.0 tech, who cares. Clear some of the cobwebs away.

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
And its a auto mainly highway but it has been extremely hot here past few weeks so I believe that would certainly not help it out. Probably gives me a reason to put some iridium spark plugs in it

Exactly why I did this

It's in 4.0 tech, who cares. Clear some of the cobwebs away.

Makaveli

Reaction score
I have an 07 and I get 15mpg with the AC off. Im glad im not the only one lol

if you figure this out let me know, ill do the same

learn to use this:
edit.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
Damn. Well I noticed that the ac off but turn on the fan helps out. I'm going to change the wires next and keep you updated

I have an 07 and I get 15mpg with the AC off. Im glad im not the only one lol

if you figure this out let me know, ill do the same

learn to use this:
edit.gif

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
About 97kmiles I changed the filter about maybe 20k miles ago. It has 275/40 tires on it had a buddy that had the same size and never really had a problem. I'm probably going to be purchasing a tuner just to go ahead and bite the bullet

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Do a top end tune up. Plugs, wires, air filter, do the fuel filter as well. Adding a programer has never netted me any gains in mpg. I get all happy and heavy footed with new found power.

Heavy foot = low mpg.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just an oddball, but my car averages 16-18 and I drive it pretty hard. On long roadtrips without stops, I was able to average over 25mpgs. On tanks where I'm just starting it, beating on the car, and parking it, my average is closer to 14.5-15.

Not sure how you're getting 14 from a V6, no it doesn't sound right.

The01Cav

forum member
Reaction score
With the mileage and such, maybe the o2 sensors are starting to read slower which will make it slower to react for open and closed loop cycles. That can use up a good amount of fuel. Also have a professional injector cleaning/service done instead of having the off the shelf injector cleaner ran through it.

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
that could be an idea. so far a/c is off but I run the fan, that does help out some it seems. gas needle isnt half way gone like it usually is. We have had a heat wave roll through here and that is when it started. Maybe heat is my cars weakness :dead2: wires are on the way now, well see what that does

With the mileage and such, maybe the o2 sensors are starting to read slower which will make it slower to react for open and closed loop cycles. That can use up a good amount of fuel. Also have a professional injector cleaning/service done instead of having the off the shelf injector cleaner ran through it.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas. About May, I noticed my mileage was down to under 15mpg. I tried a lot of these ideas, spending a lot of money, and saw no gains. If you find something, let us know. My Explorer had this same engine and it guzzled gas too. My car is an automatic with no mods.

I bought a Ford new coil pack, Ford plug wires, E3 sparkplugs, Ford air filter, Ford fuel filter, JLT oil vapor catch can, all 4 Ford O2 sensors. I then thought my cats might be a restriction and bought the BBK manifold-back with cats dual exhaust conversion. Still no gain.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm averaging about 14 with my 800hp 5.4L.

Isn't the whole point to driving a V6, getting good mileage? I'd drive it off a cliff if I got that kind of mileage out of a V6 Mustang. Even my AWD V6 Escape averages 18. Is someone stealing your gas at night? Fuel leak? A few dead bodies in the trunk? Parachute? Do you drive around in 1st gear only?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back