gas mileage only 14mpg?

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I'm averaging about 14 with my 800hp 5.4L.

Isn't the whole point to driving a V6, getting good mileage? I'd drive it off a cliff if I got that kind of mileage out of a V6 Mustang. Even my AWD V6 Escape averages 18. Is someone stealing your gas at night? Fuel leak? A few dead bodies in the trunk? Parachute? Do you drive around in 1st gear only?

2008 - 4.0 - V6 - 3492LBs with me as driver + 8 Gallons of fuel (Heavy Frigin Boat)
4.10 rear gear ratio – 0.8 Fifth gear ratio - T5 trans
P265-40-18 Tire

All MPG with 91 Octane Kalifornia Shell Gas

Open Highway / Feeway limited traftic at 3000 to 3500 RPM continuously
20 to 22 MPG

City driving very heavy foot = 14 to 17 MPG

Racing and or Track days depending upon track = 7 to 9 MPG

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
I got rid of the dead bodies last time I was out of town :thumb: but actually so far it seems turning ac off is hitting it hard. But new wires are going on today

I'm averaging about 14 with my 800hp 5.4L.

Isn't the whole point to driving a V6, getting good mileage? I'd drive it off a cliff if I got that kind of mileage out of a V6 Mustang. Even my AWD V6 Escape averages 18. Is someone stealing your gas at night? Fuel leak? A few dead bodies in the trunk? Parachute? Do you drive around in 1st gear only?

Nice Pony

Reaction score
I get 27mpg on the highway with my built 4.0 and running a MP1900 TVS supercharger. Are you manually calculating the mpg or going by the computer? I have found the computer to be way off most of the time.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
A lower HP / boat takes more throttle & longer to get up to speed thus burning more fuel overall for people who wish to travel at a faster pace.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I think we all get good highway mileage (24-26mpg), it's just the daily around town driving that is crap.

I bog my 2005's 4.0 engine down because I have my a/c on almost every day as well, but I chart weather and we have been between 85 and 95 degrees (and humid) since June 13th and I need it on.

I will say that the benefit of having a bigger stroke engine (like a 5.4) is that with all of its low-end torque it doesn't get bogged by a/c and geared properly it can get great mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it). I am almost done my 5.4 DOHC swap in my 2007, so I will have to do some experiments.

07silvergt

Reaction score
When these cars were new even the window sticker at the dealership only showed about a 2 mpg difference between a GT vs a V6. I looked at that and really didn't see the point in a V6 at all. 14 does seem ridiculous. I can get 24-30 on the highway in my GT. 14 would be all city driving with the AC on and driving like I stole it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
2008 - 4.0 - V6 - 3492LBs with me as driver + 8 Gallons of fuel (Heavy Frigin Boat)
4.10 rear gear ratio – 0.8 Fifth gear ratio - T5 trans
P265-40-18 Tire

All MPG with 91 Octane Kalifornia Shell Gas

Open Highway / Feeway limited traftic at 3000 to 3500 RPM continuously
20 to 22 MPG

City driving very heavy foot = 14 to 17 MPG

Racing and or Track days depending upon track = 7 to 9 MPG

- you are NOT a heavy boat. The weight here is not a factor.
- 410's will lower your mileage some, both in city and on highway.

- 20-22 highway at those rpm's sounds about right. I get 21-22 with 410's overall, with about 30%/70% city/highway. I'm not turning as high as rpms, and are running a turbo as well.

The fuel has a small effect as well. A/c, not so much.
:horseshit:

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
- you are NOT a heavy boat. The weight here is not a factor.
- 410's will lower your mileage some, both in city and on highway.

- 20-22 highway at those rpm's sounds about right. I get 21-22 with 410's overall, with about 30%/70% city/highway. I'm not turning as high as rpms, and are running a turbo as well.

The fuel has a small effect as well. A/c, not so much.
:horseshit:

It’s the heaviest vehicle I have owned other than a full size truck, SUV or 4WD.

I purchased our 2008 V6 as a training tool / class specific TT car for pennies on the dollar for my wife (She showed an interest in getting licensed) - Body parts - engines are cheap & everywhere + Custom fabrication is minimal – most things have already been R&D (Cheaper for me to buy than fabricate & R&D). MPG / Gasoline wasn’t a concern because my gas is paid for by Company expenses. Doesn’t mean I want to screw the Company though.

If we keep this car long term, we will put a V8 in it. This was the original plan after my wife raced in NASA TTC for 1 to 2 years - That was supposed to begin the end of last year. She unfortunately has lost interest in getting licensed & going racing so no need to up grade the vehicle. If her interest is somehow rekindled & she can get 90+ percent out of the current setup on track, I will up-grade accordingly - Not for TT anymore just a quicker DD & weekend track day car. TT rules are evolving.
(HPDE car FCK) - I have become Pussy whipped as I have gotten older but at least this newer version - wife - has quite a bit more automotive interest. Maybe, with a bit more encouragement on my part, she will become hardcore - I can only hope.

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
well I have ran the a/c off and also changed the wires out...turns out there was a aftermarket boot stuck on there that wasnt quite up to par with the others I havent noticed it before because I could never see it being all the way in the back and never had to deal with them. But everyone saying GTs arent far off, there is a motor swap in my future just have to figure out when lol, Im tired of this thing

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
26 to 28mpg with mine.....at 73 to 75mph on my 100 mile per day commute. Mileage drops off quickly past 70mph. 3.31 gears, T5, dual exhaust conversion and CAI.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back