Gen 2 Coyote Swap Wiring

Daniels197

Reaction score
I have a 2005 mustang v6 auto that I’m swapping With a gen 2 coyote and a mt82 manual transmission. My question is what do I have to re-pin on the ecu For the engine to run and my factory 05 body harness to work?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
C175b mostly. There will be about a dozen circuits you have to deal with outside of the C175b.
If.you are using a gen2 pcm, the stock cluster will not work.

Daniels197

Reaction score
Okay thanks, but how do I get my stock cluster to work with the gen 2 pcm?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, but how do I get my stock cluster to work with the gen 2 pcm?
The only way I know is to use a gen 1 pcm. You have to swap the timing components in your gen 2 to gen 1 stuff to run a G2 engine w/G1 pcm.

The reason is.the communication protocols are not compatible with the instrument cluster. All the guage data is sent through the CAN. Gen1 protocols are somewhat compatible. The cluster can read the pcm and guages and lights work.
*** Some modifications may be required*** You will find what, after you get it running.
How are you going to deal with PATS?

Daniels197

Reaction score
I don’t know yet. I haven’t gotten to PATS yet. That’s the anti-theft security system correct?

Daniels197

Reaction score
Are the circuits that need re-pined from c175b (2005 pcm female connector) to C175B of the 2016 harness?

Daniels197

Reaction score
Do you have your a/c connected? If so how’d you do it because the compressor is is a different spot on the 5.0 vs the 4.0

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have your a/c connected? If so how’d you do it because the compressor is is a different spot on the 5.0 vs the 4.0

Yes. Using the coyote compressor, 2013 condenser and I had a low pressure hose made.

Jamie A

Reaction score
I did the gen 2 swap complete and running just dont have speedometer.
Full function 05 original ac compressor and using all the preassure switches, manual clinate control switches and cooling fan

Snapchat-403086891.jpg

20190222_193631.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
And to get speedometer working, you need:
Swap a cluster from a Gen2,
Swap a pcm from a Gen 1, convert timing components to Gen 1, and a custom tune.
Aftermarket cluster/speedo - no idea what is out there.

I wish I knew more about computers/coding. Gen 1, the seepo signal is a broadcast signal. So the guages work. But the Gen 1 pcm does not "talk" the the 07 cluster. Ex: cannot read milage from cluster, so in OBD 2, miles is always zero. And fuel level is not seen by the pcm from the cluster. And I dont know if it is from a network address change, different protocols, or both. Cant find any info. And the fix would likely involve hacked firmware for either or both modules.

Last edited:

Jamie A

Reaction score
Yeah im not doing all that i solved it by a gps speedometer right now. Power by the hour is working on a gen2 swap wire harness to feed straight into 05 to 09 s197 fuse box and oem harness. Hopefully they work with dakota digital to be able to make a swap cluster and just feed the speed sensor straight to the afternarket cluster.

Daniels197

Reaction score
Hey Jamie, can you post a picture of your wiring to your pcm? I’m assuming you repined Your connector C175B?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah im not doing all that i solved it by a gps speedometer right now. Power by the hour is working on a gen2 swap wire harness to feed straight into 05 to 09 s197 fuse box and oem harness. Hopefully they work with dakota digital to be able to make a swap cluster and just feed the speed sensor straight to the afternarket cluster.

After speaking with Power by the Hour, the lack of wiring harness for the Gen 2 or 3 (in an 05-09) was the reason I chose to go with a built 3V rather than a Coyote swap. My power goals were more than a Gen 1 could take . . . unless I was willing to build the Gen 1. By that point, the cost didn't make sense to swap.

They did say a Gen 1 wiring harness could be made to work on a Gen 2 motor, but there were be some issues, particularly on cold start.

If they had a plug-and-play harness for the Gen 2/3, my build likely would have gone a completely different way. I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

Jamie A

Reaction score
After speaking with Power by the Hour, the lack of wiring harness for the Gen 2 or 3 (in an 05-09) was the reason I chose to go with a built 3V rather than a Coyote swap. My power goals were more than a Gen 1 could take . . . unless I was willing to build the Gen 1. By that point, the cost didn't make sense to swap.

They did say a Gen 1 wiring harness could be made to work on a Gen 2 motor, but there were be some issues, particularly on cold start.

If they had a plug-and-play harness for the Gen 2/3, my build likely would have gone a completely different way. I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

Yeah i have a 3v ive had since 21 and this 2nd car i found on a farm so i decided to flip and sell but the motor was seized. So basically trusting a used motor was like 2 to 4 thousand. Well f that lets go extreme and swap a gen 2 coyote and completed it. So yeah i talked to power by the hour they last said they are working on a harness but it would be awhile. But i used the ford controls pack. Everything came out good. I just need the clutch and driveshaft so i can slap in the tremec t56 magnum xl .50 final drive thats at my shop and bmr rear control arms and a 4.30rear end. She will rip but as well cruise 78mph at 2000 rpm saving alot of gas

Daniels197

Reaction score
The other circuits I have to re-pin, are they the C110 (05) connector to the C1045 (16) connector?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The other circuits I have to re-pin, are they the C110 (05) connector to the C1045 (16) connector?
Those are some the circuits I mentioned above. It wasnt as simple as repinning.

Jamie A

Reaction score
Hey Jamie, can you post a picture of your wiring to your pcm? I’m assuming you repined Your connector C175B?

I did not repin my connector. I used the fords control pack i removed the previous harness just left the stock fuse box so i could keep headlights and ac clutch relay and a few others.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back