Getting blown!!!

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
I just purchased a polished KB 2.6L. Im having it installed at a performance shop on May 12th and the shop says 450RWHP is the most I can get out of it with a stock block. Is there a safe way to get around 470RWHP? The KB comes with the standard pullie I am assuming it is the 8lb pullie. can I get 470 RWHP with just 8lbs? If not what kind of HP and TQ numbers should I expect?

WHITEPOISON

Reaction score
well you can always change the pulley tht will get you more power also running racing fuel wit a race tune, and just depends on how good the person tunes your car..

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That kit comes with the 8psi pulley. You should expect around 440-450 rwhp SAE corrected. On a cold, dry night, I put down an actual (but uncorrected) 472 RWHP with my 8 psi set up. Obviously, it's less with heat and humidity. You should be able to go with a 10 psi pulley and get an around 470 RWHP SAE corrected. Might as well do it when you get it dyno tuned, or you'll have to pay for another dyno tune later. I'm very happy with my 8psi, and after a year and a half, have no desire to bump up.

Congrads on the polished KB! Great choice.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
So much for selling the car! I am making 500 RWHP on a stock motor. A race tune and race fuel keep it safe, NOT a DD>

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
can I get 470 RWHP with just 8lbs?
Anything is possible, I suppose... it just depends on how much timing you want to throw at it. IMO, you'd be a lot safer at 470 on 10psi than you would at 8psi.

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
Anything is possible, I suppose... it just depends on how much timing you want to throw at it. IMO, you'd be a lot safer at 470 on 10psi than you would at 8psi.

Thats what I was thinking

Larmo

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I may plan on a whipple so I can live up to the name at least by the numbers... so damn expensive though.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
The question isn't can you make 470rwhp. The question is can your stock internals handle 470rwhp.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
it can handle it my cars makin alot more than 470 and i got no problems
alot more than 470rwhp? I'd say you're on borrowed time... you are a way braver man than I that is for sure.

Last edited:

WHITEPOISON

Reaction score
yea i havnt had any problems, i barelly drive the car though its on race fuel and tune.. 12 pounds boost stock internals and stock bottom end.. its gonna get built soon

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine has been blown for half of its life now and for half of its 1200 1/4 mile runs.
It is putting down 500/475 on 93 octane JDM mail order tune and I hammer the crap out of it every chance I get.

If your tuner says that 450 is the limit I'd be asking more questions such as how many S197's he has tuned and if he owns and/or races one.

There are many tuners out there that can get you more than 450rwhp reliably just not on the 8 psi pulley.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has been blown for half of its life now and for half of its 1200 1/4 mile runs.
It is putting down 500/475 on 93 octane JDM mail order tune and I hammer the crap out of it every chance I get.

If your tuner says that 450 is the limit I'd be asking more questions such as how many S197's he has tuned and if he owns and/or races one.

There are many tuners out there that can get you more than 450rwhp reliably just not on the 8 psi pulley.
By 450-475rwhp being the limit I was talking in relation to the strength of the stock rods etc I think his tuner might have been as well. A tuner might be able to get you that power at low boost levels but that doesn't mean the rods aren't gonna snap.

forensicsteve

Aggie Dad
Reaction score
Where's the OP from? Maybe his dyno numbers were achieved under adverse conditions like high humidity or high altitude? I imagine my numbers would be different if I was operating in Canada rather than on the Gulf Coast in May. It's getting hot and nasty down here already. Gotta wait until October for cool dense air.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back