Got a window tint price quote-- Too much?

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
So, I'll admit that I've never tinted the windows on anything, ever

Now that I have a black car, it's basically mandatory.

I called the most reputable shop around here, and was Quoted $400 for:

3M Cyrstalline 90% Front
3M Crystalline 50% everywehre else

They sold me on the Crystalline stuff because they said it's unmatched in heat dispersion. They told me that it would compare to 5% normal tint. They were even honest with me and said that if I went 40% on Crystalline it would have a slight gasoline look to it.

$400 for tint sounds like a LOT?? Or am I just so out of the loop I have no idea...

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right for Crystalline tint. However I didnt think they made 10% in Crystalline unless its brand new. If you look at the numbers on heat dispersion it is not much more than 3m regular tint. It is like 2% difference. I dont know if its worth the difference in price. I personally would go with regular 3m tint since the Crystalline has kind of a bluish look sometimes.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
$400 sounds about right.

The % you posted don't seem right though.

My car is 35% all the way around and it passes NC inspection.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
That seems like a lot to me, my mom just had her 13 tinted and it was 160 I think. But I think it was just the 3m.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
very helpful guys, thanks!!

I'm leaning towards the Base 3M tint now.

As far as percentages, I do not want to go super dark as this is my DD. It has black interior also, so really 40% would look way darker than a true 40

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a tint expert by any means but had my tint done this weekend by Bruce Johnson at The Tint Shop. I paid $120 for SunTek 28% front and 35% back. He did a damn near perfect job and it looks damn good. That price was a special since it was at an event he sponsored but you can give him a call, he's mobile and came highly recommended.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I guess there is alot of competition in florida for Tint Shops. That sounds very high too me. I'd expect 150-200 tops and even that's alittle high IMO. I can't say I know much about the 3m or what it costs as all i've ever used on any vehicle has been Llumar.

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was $240 5% on the back three, 50% on the front three..regular tint

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
As with all things, you get what you pay for. I had standard 3m tint in my 2001 Bullitt. In Florida it was good. I wanted something a little better on the 2012, and went to a reputable shop here in town. The shop had a cool demo that compared the high quality "limo" tint (5%) with a 35% llumar ceramic tint. It was a box with a heat lamp on top and you would put your hand into it to feel the heat. He would then put a piece of glass with limo tint to show how much heat was rejected. Didn't make a bit of difference. He then put a piece of glass with the llumar and it totally removed the heat. I paid $300 for 35% on driver/passenger and 20% on side and rear. They also offer the llumar in 10% for the windshield, but I had already had my inspection stickers mounted. I will say this car is a lot cooler compared to my Bullitt. The take away for me was darker tint doesn't mean it rejects UV or heat any better that a llumar type at a lighter tint range.
http://www.llumar.com/film-benefits/for-car-owners/style-and-appearance

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Crystalline is a vary expensive film. Usually only used on windshields for hear rejection. Plus it's not a dark tint. I would ask for color stable. Which is mid line film with a lifetime warranty. I have heard of people charging up to 600$ just to do a window in crystalline. It's a vary hard film to work with. Because of how many layers it is.

Also 10% on a windshield would be extremely dark and hard to see out of. Most windshields do
Either 70% or 50%. I had 35% at one time and it was to dark.

Last edited:

MGT2009

forum member
Reaction score
I paid $100 cash for 5% all the way around (except windshield), but I got a deal through work.

I know we charge customers $199.95 on a four dour car for 35% all the way around.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I paid about $185 for 35% Llumar all the way around at one of the more reputable shops in my area. You get what you pay for, and finding a good shop that stands behind their work and product is important.

YoungBlood

forum member
Reaction score
I'd go at least 50% in the front. I have the ceramic 3m or something like that with 50% side windows, 15% on the small side windows and 5% on the rear. The fronts hardly seem tinted, but the tint laws here in Utah are stupid. anything past 50% in the front is illegal. However I wish I had just paid some back shop to do my fronts at 30-35% or so(varies on the brand). visibility is still fine that dark, my friends car has that and it looks much better. 50% is just dark enough to notice it's tinted next to a stock tint, but not enough to really notice. I'd go 30% all around but that's just me. Oh and I paid $180 with a lifetime warranty

bcb06gt

Reaction score
The 3M Crystalline is worth it to me - especially if your state runs inspections on tint. Comparing that the Crystalline with a 50% visible light has a TSER of 56% and IR of 99% with the Color Stable 50% visible light having only a TSER of 35%. To get the same TSER in the Color Stable you would need to go to a 5% visible light. Also, the Color Stable has no siginificant IR. Yes, the Crystalline may not "look" dark or nice as a cosmetic tint, but the real work and protection is far above the other tints.

With that said, I had someone quote $350 for Crystalline.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
The 3M Crystalline is worth it to me - especially if your state runs inspections on tint. Comparing that the Crystalline with a 50% visible light has a TSER of 56% and IR of 99% with the Color Stable 50% visible light having only a TSER of 35%. To get the same TSER in the Color Stable you would need to go to a 5% visible light. Also, the Color Stable has no siginificant IR. Yes, the Crystalline may not "look" dark or nice as a cosmetic tint, but the real work and protection is far above the other tints.

With that said, I had someone quote $350 for Crystalline.

That is true. If you have inspections and don't want dark tint go with crystalline. It looks darker than 35% of the regular tint. I considered getting it on my car since cops are cracking down on tint more and I plan on keeping my car for a long time.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another thing to remember about tint laws is that the stock glass has a slight tint so that 35% tint on stock glass is likely to read around 32% with the meter.
I got the highest end 20% tint that the shop had on my 3 back windows for $200 here in Canada. No tint allowed on the front windows here and I hate unnecessary conversations with LEO's.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back