Got JBA LT headers installed!

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well I decided to take the plunge and do it myself. What a pain in the ASS!!!!!!!!!

It all started with a trip to harbor freight & tools. I had to spend around $200 by the time it was all said and done but that was still a lot cheaper than the $650 I was quoted by Brenspeed. Here is what I needed:

3 ton low profile floor jack that raises up to 21"
pair of ramps which I used under the back tires.
pair of jack stands with an 18" height capacity which went in the front.
swivel rachet wrench set (10mm, 13mm & 15mm were invaluable)
Mechanics gloves (didn't really use them much).
22mm wrench for 02 sensors.
assortment of socket extensions.
Socket handle with an extendable handle (came in handy believe it or not).
zip ties

I removed the oil dipstick, starter motor, battery, battery tray & motor mounts. Then I jacked up the motor with the floor jack. I used a phone book and jacked the motor up by the oil pan and I found that by jacking the motor high enough I was able to get the drivers side header on without removing the steering rack!!!!!!! YAY!

I re-used the stock gaskets and had a heck of a time getting the top bolt tightened down on the drives side (the one closest to the winshield). Once I started putting everything back together it went pretty smooth until I had to connect the ORH pipe to the over the axel pipes. The problem was they were the exact same size pipe and fitment was tight so it was hard getting them lined up right for the sleeve to slide over the ORH. But I finally got it.

I looked at the clock and saw I was running late for work so I fired up the GT and headed out. Driving to work I thought it sounded a little louder then I was expecting. I suspected I had an exhaust leak somewhere. Then I remembered that I forgot to re-install the rear o2 sensors in the ORH pipe so there are two big gaping holes leaking exhaust LOL.

I'll put them on tomorrow and see if that quiets it down some. Meantime the car does sound mean as hell!

Last edited:

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well I put the rear 02 sensors into the H-pipe to plug the holes this morning and it quited the car down considerably. No exhaust leaks now and the car still sounds awesome. Maybe a little too quiet now but nothing a good pair of cams won't fix.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well I put the rear 02 sensors into the H-pipe to plug the holes this morning and it quited the car down considerably. No exhaust leaks now and the car still sounds awesome. Maybe a little too quiet now but nothing a good pair of cams won't fix.

Just curious as to why you think cams will make your exhaust louder?

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you think cams will make your exhaust louder?

Because prior to this car I had a 1999 Trans Am. With that car I started out by removing the stock muffler and having a bullet welded into the I-pipe (similair to the slp loudmouth setup). The car got louder and sounded good. Then I added long tube headers with an ORY pipe and the car got consideraby louder and sounded really good. Then I added a 236/240 112 lsa camshaft and the car got so loud that I was attracting every cop in a 10 mile radius. I had to ditch the bullet for a full catback with a chambered muffler to tame that beast.

Now I grant you that's in the LS1 world and I don't know for a fact that modular ford motors react the same way to a cam swap. But I have heard some very healthy sounding clips on youtube of 3V cars with full exhaust and either hot rod cams or detroit rockers so I figured the cams would add a few decibals.

Is this not the case?

mike4.0

Reaction score
I have a set of pacesetters I'm debating putting on myself. I was expecting a horror story reading this but you made it sound to be not all that bad considering lol :p

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a set of pacesetters I'm debating putting on myself. I was expecting a horror story reading this but you made it sound to be not all that bad considering lol :p

It's time consuming when you are doing it the first time but it's not really that hard IF you have the right tools.

Jackstands that raise 14-18"
swivel rachet wrenches
socket extensions
floor jack with 20+ inch height capacity

Without the above this job would have been really hard if not impossible. But with the above it was not that bad at all especially since I didn't have to remove any part of the steering.

If you install yourself you can always PM me with any questions. I'll be happy to give you my number and help you out as much as I can. Hell if you live close enough to Illinois I would even come over for a day and help you get them in.

travelers

Reaction score
I did my own on my 07 and it took me about 6hrs. they were the ARHs fit like a glove.

mike4.0

Reaction score
It's time consuming when you are doing it the first time but it's not really that hard IF you have the right tools.

Jackstands that raise 14-18"
swivel rachet wrenches
socket extensions
floor jack with 20+ inch height capacity

Without the above this job would have been really hard if not impossible. But with the above it was not that bad at all especially since I didn't have to remove any part of the steering.

If you install yourself you can always PM me with any questions. I'll be happy to give you my number and help you out as much as I can. Hell if you live close enough to Illinois I would even come over for a day and help you get them in.

This is why I love the car community! Sadly I'm a little ways out… Like Canada haha but I do have all of those things or access to them, so Looks like I better prep these suckers and get ready to throw them in eh! You may have a PM or two when that time comes

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back