GR40 ST on track

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
It's amazing what a well setup lower horsepower car can do with a talented driver vs. a high horsepower car with a so-so driver. Collin drove the Griggs Mustang GT just like a good Miata driver - momentum car with little braking, carrying a lot of momentum through the turns, while the C6/Z06 was braking way too much. Awesome video! I would like to see what Collin could do in the Corvette with his talent - that would be an awesome video too.

Last edited:

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
That was a invitation only day a Thunderhill

40-50 cars..two runs groups IIRC

Griggs had 5 cars out there...we all had a blast

Poor Colin, his cars not the fastest in the straights..hes honeslty at 360 hp..and he hasn't really stripped it

He can drive all right...drive pretty dang quick

I think it also helps that he got training from Bruce/John on how to drive :)

BTW hes on r888 ;)

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
If that..he's only got a JLT intake and Borla long tubes!
Theres no doubt he has that car dailed in

:)

To bad more of you guys don't live around here...we'd have hoot at the track

Last edited:

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Theres no doubt he has that car dailed in

:)

To bad more of you guys don't live around here...we'd have hoot at the track

No kidding..Pacific Raceways is a blast, but I'd really like to make a field trip to Thunderhill or Laguna one of these days. Where do you usually run at?

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
No kidding..Pacific Raceways is a blast, but I'd really like to make a field trip to Thunderhill or Laguna one of these days. Where do you usually run at?
Infineon or Thunderhill are local

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
From Colin: "Paul: I was on Toyo R888s, but never again as they are way to noisy, its Hoosier R6/A6 from now on."
Noise...dang, i guess i'll turn the radio up then :)

I'm not sayin the r888 are the best...but i'm lazy and don't want to bolt slicks on/off or trailer the car this year.

The r888 are a good tire to hone in driving skills

Next year r6's when the car goes into ttr/ttu

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score

For me Mosport is a blast but I would also love to run at Laguna. Unfortunately it is a 43 hour drive according to Google Maps. :(

My Dad and I attended the Monterey Historic races as spectators a couple of years ago and I would love to get my car on the track.

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
It's amazing what a well setup lower horsepower car can do with a talented driver vs. a high horsepower car with a so-so driver. Collin drove the Griggs Mustang GT just like a good Miata driver - momentum car with little braking, carrying a lot of momentum through the turns, while the C6/Z06 was braking way too much. Awesome video! I would like to see what Collin could do in the Corvette with his talent - that would be an awesome video too.

I don't think the C6 would be an improvement over a well setup GR40 car. After driving a C6 for 3 days at Bondurant I'd take the GR40 anyday.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I don't think the C6 would be an improvement over a well setup GR40 car. After driving a C6 for 3 days at Bondurant I'd take the GR40 anyday.

I would agree - comparing a Griggs GR40 vs. a regular C6, but not a C6 Z06. I would take the Z06.

marksti

forum member
Reaction score
I would agree - comparing a Griggs GR40 vs. a regular C6, but not a C6 Z06. I would take the Z06.
COLIN from what i recall turns laps 4 seconds faster then a lighty moded Z06 on two different tracks

Its pretty clear that a gr40 (the TT or RT versions) are faster then stock z06s, mind you i have yet to see a gr40 with a completey stock motor, most have atleat 360 hp like the one in the vid.

BUT some people prefer certain cars...That i can't fault anybody with

I love the new grand sport/z06 for what it is tho.

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score

Z06 and Z51 are the same car less 70 hp. Same chassis, brakes, shocks, steering. Different tires.

Also, I was surprised at the amount of squeaks, rattles those cars displayed. Other drivers said the same about their cars all of which had less than 10k miles. On day 2, the driver in front of me lost his motor all over the track. Car had 8k miles if I recall correctly. All that said, they can make a fun track car out of the box...with proper brake upgrades.

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
COLIN from what i recall turns laps 4 seconds faster then a lighty moded Z06 on two different tracks

Its pretty clear that a gr40 (the TT or RT versions) are faster then stock z06s, mind you i have yet to see a gr40 with a completey stock motor, most have atleat 360 hp like the one in the vid.

BUT some people prefer certain cars...That i can't fault anybody with

I love the new grand sport/z06 for what it is tho.

BTW, Colin's running an ST.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Be interested to know what tires are on the Corvette? FWIW, the Z06 and a Z51 are not the same suspensions, the new Grand Sport and the Z06 are the same but the C6 Z51 is not.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Z06 and Z51 are the same car less 70 hp. Same chassis, brakes, shocks, steering. Different tires.

Not quite. If you're referring to the new 2010 C6 Grand Sport (not the Coupe) and its comparison to a 2010 Z06, then yes - they are very similar except for some key differences: C6 LS3 (6.2L 430 hp/424 tq) vs. Z06 LS7 (7.0L 505 hp/470 tq), the C6 weighs 140 lbs more (Z06 has carbon fiber components), and the Z06 has a aluminum frame vs. C6 steel. Now, if you're comparing a C6 Coupe with the Z51 performance option to the Z06, then we're talking about MANY significant differences....beyond the chassis, brakes, shocks, tires, etc.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back