Gt500 fuel pump issues (yes another thread)

Trbosvt

Reaction score
A few things that could cause this are:

The hose which draws fuel from the passenger tank popped off of the drivers side assembly

The same hose can be kinked cutting off the supply of fuel from one side of the tank to the other.

Something is caught in the venturi setup which is how the fuel is drawn from one side to the other. The venture setup is the tube that fuel goes through just before it's dumped back into the drivers side. If you separate that piece it almost looks like cone inside. At the bottom of the cone is a very small hole. I've seen debris get caught in that hole before. This would prevent any fuel getting to the drivers side from the passenger side.

Also,
Just to clear up something that was said earlier the passenger side tank has nothing to do with fuel pressure. You could run the car on one side without any issues or loss in pressure. The passenger side tank is only used for extra fuel. It's drawn to the drivers side using a venturi style system.

Hope that helps.

Jared
very informative Jared!!! thanks for the info. i have 2 customer cars doing the exact same thing. Only common thing between both cars is that they both have Fore hats on them and the uodated fuel level sending unit since they had the old style sending unit from factory and the hat requires the new style. i've check the wiring on both and and the readings coming out of the the sending unit and eveythinmg reads fine. might have to take a look at that passenger side tranfer hose.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
very informative Jared!!! thanks for the info. i have 2 customer cars doing the exact same thing. Only common thing between both cars is that they both have Fore hats on them and the uodated fuel level sending unit since they had the old style sending unit from factory and the hat requires the new style. i've check the wiring on both and and the readings coming out of the the sending unit and eveythinmg reads fine. might have to take a look at that passenger side tranfer hose.

What year cars are you having issues with?

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had sometime today, went out to the car and atempted to look at it, i popped the ring off and remembered how much of a pain in the ass it was to take it out and decided not to do it, put the ring back on it, (thought it was sealed, i beat the hell out of the ring to lock it good) i knew i was low on gas at the time, so before work i went and got gas, put about 8 gallons in and it clicks to say stop, so i went a tad bit more and I hear SPLASH, and im like wtf! Look under the car, gas was everywhere....Ripped the bottom of the back seat off, fucking gas was coming out of the top of the tank :angry1: so i was so pissed off at myself, couldnt see how it was coming out, ended up saying fuck it, and had it towed to a shop in town and getting it fixed and the gauge as well. What a god damn day.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
O5 GT and an 07 GT500.

If you're using a Fore hat both of those cars should be using the aftermarket level sender (7R3Z-9A299-C) supplied in our complete fuel systems. If they're installed correctly and the tube that pulls fuel from the passenger side to the drivers side is hooked up the right way as well you should have no issues reading fuel correctly. If the level sender was damaged (which can easily happen because they're fragile) during install or the tube that brings fuel to the drivers side isn't hooked up right you'll never get the proper fuel reading.

Hope that helps.

Jared

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I have a similar issue but i have the DTE EFI error or whatever it is on the computer. Out of every time I start the car/get gas, maybe once out of 10/15 times the gauge will read the right fuel but as soon as I start it back it, it gives me the error and reads empty. Fuel pressure seems right, and I have an 05 with the GT500 setup. Didn't start having the problem til recently but I also have trouble filling up maybe every other time I try to get gas. It will keep clicking like its full even though it isn't. Based on my symptoms, what could this be? The sensor seems like a good starting point since I'm getting an error on the dash. Any ideas?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I did a little research on this issue, come to find out the pumps are supposed to feed from the passengerside first. The modules are supposed to regulate this, which leads me to believe one of the two are bad...the reason the guage fluxuates at half a tank is because the fuel level between the two sides are so different, some cases will trigger the computer to shut off fuel completely. I have read that in some newer mustangs the guage itself is replaced and the problem is fixed. I dont think this is the issue. I am going to check the connections in the trunk, then replace one of the modules, then the other, hopefully that will fix it. I already replaced the passenger sending unit, no change. I guess,it is,a process of elimination.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Okay so im at a loss.. Checkwd both modules, they are good... Took the pump out to check hoses and sender, all good...
The only thing I can think of is that I am missing something ...the line that comes over from the passengerside has a plastic "cap" on it that diverts fuel from going directly to the pumps. It has a cone with a tiny hole on the end. I am assuming that the suction from the pump pulls fuel from the passengerside pick up. I see no way that the modules can pull from one side or the other, I m not an engineer...but somehow some fuel is making it over. Ive attached pics of this cap and the stock pump set-up which is completely different system.
I wonder what would happwn if I take this cap off and let it pull directly from the passengerside pick-up?? Not that I would do it...to scared of loosing the pumps...

Attachments

• 2011-09-14 11.41.07.jpg
    2011-09-14 11.41.07.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 2011-09-14 11.42.24.jpg
    2011-09-14 11.42.24.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 20

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3]I think I figured it out!
I was looking through some pics online of some other installs, the attached is a stock fuel pump on right and a GT500 on left (what I am running) and noticed that my pump is missing a piece that connects to the pick up line from the passenger side, it is the white piece that has the orange tip in the attached pic. It controls the fuel from the passenger side and also adds to the drivers side sump. So I did a little mod, using the stock pump's pickup, stock pump unit which is now worthless. I think this will work. It makes sense...I guess there are somethings you shouldn't buy used... Going to put in a tank of gas and hopefully in a couple of days I'll know for sure...
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Attachments

• d016-2.jpg
    d016-2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back