GT500 rods?

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
Are the rods in the GT500 forged Manley rods like in the old Cobra 4.6 engine?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are the rods in the GT500 forged Manley rods like in the old Cobra 4.6 engine?

no they are not

and wrong section

047.jpg

Last edited:

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
GT500 internals

Looking for info on the internals of the GT500.

Are they all forged the way the 4.6 Cobra engine was with Manley H beam rods, etc?

Also, what is the "relative" HP limit of the stock block and internals?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC the call them "cracked powder forged" they seem to hold up to 700whp pretty consistently.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
IIRC the call them "cracked powder forged" they seem to hold up to 700whp pretty consistently.

What he said. I think the thresh hold is around 800. If I recall correctly a local guy broke one a little over that level, I just remember my tuner building the short block for it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wait a sec ... are those really the GT500 rods? :sigh1:

yes they are from "sfadchi"'s car, he had the motor built and those are what came out.

jre8806

S197 Member
Reaction score
they seem to hold up nice on the 725whp supersnakes or krs. Anything more than that is probably not intended for street use and thats probably why they are not as forged as manley, they made a pretty good part for standing that much power for the street.

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
After a recent visit to Roush and SVT in Dearborn with the EVO machine we were able to gather alot of excellent test and research data on the GT 500. We also meet up with the Maule engineers and actually had a great conversation with the guy that designed the Rod and Piston Combo. The Piston is a stout unit although it is near the same desing as the Ford GT it isn't the exact same piston. Some slight design differances in the Ring land for oil control and some very slight weight differances but in and of itself a very stout design and much stronger than the 03/04 Cobra piece.

The Rods are indeed a craked forged I-beam design. The engineer indicated a 650-675 crank HP range was nearing the limit but more important was the RPM limit. They could handle quite a bit of load as long as the Revs were kept in tact. He indicated the more power being made the lower the rpm. Stock Rev is 6250 for that reason so I'd once these KB units start making it to streets I think we will see more internal rod damage and some blown motors just due to purely exceeding the Rods design capability."

Thanks,

Jon L

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they seem to hold up nice on the 725whp supersnakes or krs. Anything more than that is probably not intended for street use and thats probably why they are not as forged as manley, they made a pretty good part for standing that much power for the street.

The SS is rated for flywheel HP not RWHP

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not real sure which is worse on this board. The Hot Rod cam threads or these fuckin GT500 connecting rod threads.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haha
We almost need a new hot rod cam tech section for all the threads/info/issues with them lol.

Its funny how most of the other threads talk about how great they are and then when we post up a thread about a problem with them everyone comes out of the woodwork with their issues as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back