GT500 wheel fitment issues on 09 V6

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
Hey guys I don't have these wheels anymore but thought I'd get a few inquiries as to why this happened.

I bought some GT500's and put them on my car and all seemed well.

A week after having them on this happened:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389905576.338679.jpg

My assembly randomly started rubbing my wheel and shaving it. This only happened on the right side with no rubbing while the left side rubbed frame a tad bit. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389905713.832340.jpg

Like I said, I just got rid of the wheels but I'd like to learn from this for future reference.

My alignment seems perfectly fine so I'm curious as to what could have caused this.

Found a video as well so you can hear how bad it was. Found tons of shavings and metal splinters sticking out off the wheel.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YF0H-U...ch?v=YF0H-UHdsYU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

G.T

Reaction score
the rubbing on the inside in your second photo could have been corrected by changing the steering stops on the inner tie-rods

i can't really see what's wrong on the first photo

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
The rim edge is actually contacting the shock and shaving the rim

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
you sure its the shock? From the looks of the picture your tire has a very slight stretch. I would think that you would get control arm rubbing issues instead. The frame rail is understandable. I have the same problem. The wheel rubbing makes no sense though

G.T

Reaction score
the spindle (knuckle) on the V6, GT and GT500 is identical.. meaning the shock mounting points/clearance is the same.

the ONLY exception is the V6 base without ABS.

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
I have a base model. And yeah at the top of the shock is where it rubbed.
Stock tires as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bet the stud on the sway bar end links caused the rub. Not the shock. I've never seen rubbing that bad on such a conventional setup. Base V6s have different stops on them I guess. Don't turn the wheel as far in parking lots! (Or get the stops) Although I personally don't know anyone that has installed them even with 285 tires up front including myself. Just some rub in the wheel well liner at full lock.

5iv

Homo 3.7 and 4.0 owner
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I experienced and just didn't go full lock. The shock is what baffles me. I KNOW it's the shock though. It actually carved into it. I'll get a picture tomorrow and post it. It bothers me and makes me wonder if my car has been wrecked. My front left fender is sticking out quite a bit and that scares me. I wish I was good with spotting a wrecked car but with my car being black it's harder to tell paint wise and I don't know a whole lot to look for.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back