Has anyone ever used the BC coilover setup??

fonz3482

Reaction score
hello everyone,
I picked up a set of used headers from a person today and he had a coil over type setup for a mustang made by BC?? They had adjustable dampening, adjustable strut mounts, and you could adjust the springs on the front struts. Then the rears had BC shocks, separate springs that you could also adjust. He wanted $500 for the setup, but this all came off a wrecked car. So that made me worry to spend that kind of money not knowing if anything was slightly bent, or something. You guys think It was worth it, and I should of grabbed them??

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've got two friends with them and they are happy with them. I would make sure they are complete and not damaged.

fonz3482

Reaction score
They appeared to be fine, and he included all the stock ford hardware with them too. I'd like to get alittle lower stance for my 07 stang, but am I better off buying a set of lowering springs and adjustable strut mounts? I probably wont ever mess with the shock dampening, and My 07 only has 5,000 miles on it currently, and I'm not sure how many miles the BC stuff has on it. The car he pulled the BC setup from has 59,000mi. So I'm still thinking about offering him money on them, but I'm not sure if its a good move or not??

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
They appeared to be fine, and he included all the stock ford hardware with them too. I'd like to get alittle lower stance for my 07 stang, but am I better off buying a set of lowering springs and adjustable strut mounts? I probably wont ever mess with the shock dampening, and My 07 only has 5,000 miles on it currently, and I'm not sure how many miles the BC stuff has on it. The car he pulled the BC setup from has 59,000mi. So I'm still thinking about offering him money on them, but I'm not sure if its a good move or not??

In my opinion you'd be better off on a Koni Yellow/Lowering Spring/Camber plates setup than a BC Coilover setup. There are a lot of things I do NOT like about BC:

Damping adjustment adjusts both compression and rebound together in significant amounts. For a DD, doesn't matter much since you'll probably put them at the softest setting but when you want to dial them up for the track you are either compromising rebound to not have insane compression or dealing with excessively high compression damping. It's a recipe for a car that handles with a crap ton of compromises.

Quality of the dampers is also suspect for long term use. Good news is that BC will rebuild them but I'm not sure I trust them to begin with. Their reputation is equal to that of Tein... cheap... cheap... cheap... coilovers

Spring quality is also suspect unless they upgraded to the Swift spring package that is sometimes offered with BC coilovers. At which point the springs are literally better than the rest of the package... that's sad.

Personally, the cheapest coilovers I'd spend money on are Ground Control's complete conversion or the ST XTA's or whatever their single adjustable dampers are called. I went with GC, don't regret it... but if you want coilovers, do yourself a favor and spend the money on nice ones as they will ride and perform better 10 out of 10 times.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Their reputation is equal to that of Tein... cheap... cheap... cheap... coilovers

Ooh. That's as good a thing about BC as I've ever heard anyone say.

If you only care about looks, BC is fine.

fonz3482

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna pass for now, Its just to much money to risk for me on used parts from a wrecked car that may or may not be good. Maybe I'll throw the cash at 4.10 or 3.73 gears, and a short throw shifter. I'd like the car to sit lower, but until I upgrade my wheels and tire package, It can sit stock. Thanks Everyone!

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
I have a set of them and haven't had any issues with them, they work fine for something you are just driving around on the street.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back