Has anyone used a "Turbo" style muffler

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well like it says . Has anyone used an old tubo style muffler in a mid pipe configuration with these cars and maybe even turned it down just after the rear axle like "back in the day" ?

doroyce05

Reaction score
i'm interested on this also. i was planning on putting cherry bomb glass pack in a mid pipe configuration but i haven't heard any s197 with that set up.

willautoy

Reaction score
Not sure where you would put it. The Pypes mid muffler uses glasspack style because there is not enough room for a regular design muffler. They fit with about 1/2 inch clearance around the fuel tank... and look good too

07torchgt

^MY NAME; THINGS I SAY>
Reaction score

i believe thats a bot... look at the sig... i looked at the other few posts and they all are about the same...

anyways...

I see what you're saying about the exhaust... I was looking into doing something like what I posted since I won't be doing a fuel cell... Mine will stay strictly a street car so a fuel cell isn't an option... I have been wondering how some long glass packs under the driveshaft would sound with muffler deletes... I just don't wanna be the test dummy and waste the money ya know... lol

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i was checking out the ole thrush mufflers the other day and wandering about it i know a few installed resonators in the mid pipes but never heard of any1 trying a turbo/glasspack

doroyce05

Reaction score

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
i went search for some online but i couldn't decide on how long the glasspack should be. i'm thinking 18 inches long with 2.5 inlet and 2.5 outlet.

this will sound bad but i would want to get the cheapest way possible for a mid pipe set up.

Definitely 2.5 in and out. I think mine are 22 or 24 long. I had to trim the X-pipe to get them to fit under the car.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
i thought he was flaming me.

anyways the that video of the cherry bombs sounds nice. now i was wondering is it alot louder in person?

Yes, a lot louder in person. I am surprised at how quiet it is in the cabin though.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Damn now thats how ya make an exhaust clip! LOL

lol, I had a blast doing that. About 30 yards behind the car was a street that was full of cars cruising. They had to shut down the street while I was doing that because people couldn't see the car in front of them. lol

doroyce05

Reaction score
Yes, a lot louder in person. I am surprised at how quiet it is in the cabin though.

i heard that our cabin is made like a sound booth hehehe. this might sound weird but if you had 22-24 glasspack and the car was still loud, DANG!! i guess i was aiming for the 350z sound like a rumble but sounds straight when floored. with glass packs does it sound louder than flowmasters?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No I was thinking that this next year I miight trade the fac fuel tank for a fuel cell in the trunk then mount some reg old turbo mufflers there. I guees they could be welded in where my axle backs sit now.
Whilst I was changing things all the time last year, I had such a setup - just put resonators and turndowns off an OR H-pipe...

Works just dandy - sounds wonderful... so nice to not have to bang around the !@#$ing mufflers when messing around with the rear every weekend...

Track rules say that it needs to exit past the doors for most...

No need to go over the axle or remove the fuel tank...

Just need something to support the mufflers and pipe you have back there - I just bolted it to one of those various things sticking out back there with exhaust hanger material to dissipate the heat - sorry don't have any pics...

It wasn't the quietest thing in the world - though you could put quieter resonators/mufflers on there...

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
i heard that our cabin is made like a sound booth hehehe. this might sound weird but if you had 22-24 glasspack and the car was still loud, DANG!! i guess i was aiming for the 350z sound like a rumble but sounds straight when floored. with glass packs does it sound louder than flowmasters?

The only flowmasters I have to compare it to was my 2001 Dakota. Completely different setup and it is a lot louder than the Dakota.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back