Have a whining MT82? Take it in!

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Are these not supposed to whine at all? I believe I have a slight wine in both the gears and trans. It hasn't gotten any louder from what I can tell but I am thinking maybe I should have it looked at?

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Very slight whine that doesn't change over time is likely no issue or at least not one Ford will acknowledge. This is an MT car, some more driveline noises than a slushbox are to be expected.

helical cut gears (which are what is inside the trans) are about as quiet as any gear driven setup will ever get.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Got my car back today. I'll post the official list of parts replaced later. But on the short drive back to the office, whine is completely gone, shifting is nice and smooth. Stranely though, my shifter seems to be moved forward.......odd. I'm going to crawl under it later and take a look. Maybe the tech got a little confused with the Barton shifter bracket. Also, I have to straighten my exhaust tips, which I fully expected. Parts list in the near future!

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
So......car is back, whining is gone....but....the shifter is tweaked. It's too far forward and crooked a little. I can't figure out what the fuck they did. I took it all apart, asich as possible from underneath, but it doesn't matter what I do it won't go back together without tweaking the shifter forward and to one side. What the hell could they have done wrong?! I've never taken am S197 shifter apart.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Flipped the shifter bracket around, possibly? It's a 1 way install with the long side of the bracket facing the DS, iirc.

Other than that, loosen the crossmember bolts and wiggle the trans around a bit, maybe it was tightened up with a tweak on the chassis from using a 4 post lift or similar.

When I got my list back from the dealer for the parts replaced on my MT, it was pretty extensive, too.

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Flipped the shifter bracket around, possibly? It's a 1 way install with the long side of the bracket facing the DS, iirc.

Other than that, loosen the crossmember bolts and wiggle the trans around a bit, maybe it was tightened up with a tweak on the chassis from using a 4 post lift or similar.

When I got my list back from the dealer for the parts replaced on my MT, it was pretty extensive, too.

I just received my car back a week ago from having the transmission repaired. They just replaced it. Problems were notch 1st and 2nd gear. Some days it would be difficult going in or out of 1st gear. They replaced the transmission but now it sticks in first and is difficult to get out.

They also repaired the rear end and now it's back to grinding. My passenger HID headlight is also cracked now. It wasn't when I took it in. Doesn't look to be caused by an impact of any sort.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I'll try loosening the transmission cross member bolts. I dicked with it til 2:30 in the morning last night. The bracket is installed correctly, it can only go one way really. I just dint understand why the brace won't line up. I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. Thanks!

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
Mines whining some but they probably won't jack with mine with a exedy clutch and flywheel in it. Someone said these clutches whine and mines done it since clutch install. Who knows. Guess ill just start saving for a t56 magnum

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the shifter in the car now.

5uvaga3y.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lucas, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at in those pictures. The shifter looks like it's either in 1st or 3rd. In the second picture the black piece doesn't appear to be seating flat against the shifter housing, maybe a bolt is missing?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lucas, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at in those pictures. The shifter looks like it's either in 1st or 3rd. In the second picture the black piece doesn't appear to be seating flat against the shifter housing, maybe a bolt is missing?

He's saying the gear selector is much farther toward the front of the car than it was previously when in 1, 3, & 5.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score

The shifter is too far forward in the console in the first pic. That's the car in 1st gear. But the shift knob is damn near in the dash! It's really stretching the shifter boot out with it like that.

The second picture is of the shifter housing and the shifter brace. That's the shifter put in the position it needs to be in, as you can see, the brace will not bolt up without tweaking the shifter to one side and pulling it forward. No missing bolts

He's saying the gear selector is much farther toward the front of the car than it was previously when in 1, 3, & 5.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help dude!

So, I tried loosening the crossmember bolts today, even took the crossmember completely down and jacked the transmission up and down. No dice. It's slightly better but still pulled forward and slightly to one side. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, nothing will straighten it back up. I don't know what to do. I'm out of time to mess with it as I have to leave town next weekend and I'm not taking it back to the dealer right now to leave it with my wife to mess with. The gripes with the transmission are definitely gone, but this shifter thing is driving me nuts.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
The brace does look bent to me. Don't ask how they could screw something up, remember Murphy's law. I don't recall mine ever being that bent outwards, it was more straight.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Eff that. They screwed it up the first time. You can do this trans in. Take it out and square it up and reinstall.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back