Have a whining MT82? Take it in!

dbrford

Reaction score
My transmission just started whining in 1-4, the best part is it started one day after I installed my Roush TVS. At first I actually thought it was the Roush, lol. Oh well, looks like I will be upgrading to a T-56 soon. I can't really dmod at this point so I will live with it until it gets really gets bad.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
My transmission just started whining in 1-4, the best part is it started one day after I installed my Roush TVS. At first I actually thought it was the Roush, lol. Oh well, looks like I will be upgrading to a T-56 soon. I can't really dmod at this point so I will live with it until it gets really gets bad.

I'd try taking it in anyways ... what's the worst that can happen at this point? As I see it, worst case scenario is they refuse to fix it and you're exactly where you are now.

dbrford

Reaction score
I'd try taking it in anyways ... what's the worst that can happen at this point? As I see it, worst case scenario is they refuse to fix it and you're exactly where you are now.

Wont they charge me for looking if they deny warranty? I am pretty sure they will just laugh at me...Supercharger, MGW, Clutch line, one piece driveshaft, BG fluid.

Actually thinking about just ripping it a part myself and seeing if I can buy parts that are bad...if not I will just order Magnum XL.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Wont they charge me for looking if they deny warranty? I am pretty sure they will just laugh at me...Supercharger, MGW, Clutch line, one piece driveshaft, BG fluid.

Actually thinking about just ripping it a part myself and seeing if I can buy parts that are bad...if not I will just order Magnum XL.

Not sure ... in Ohio they can't charge you a dime unless you were given a written estimate first. I would assume that's pretty standard, but I may be wrong.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
I was never charged last time I took mine in on the second transmission for horrible cold shifting and they claimed "Normal operation".

5.Blow

Do you even lift?
Reaction score
I was hearing whining noises in 1st and 2nd gear. Pretty damn noticeable if you ask me. It would whine like my old Eaton Cobra. I decided to take it in before it got worse.

I just got the car back last night from my local dealer.

The Service Rep told me that his Transmission guy looked at it and said that a little noise was normal. He seemed eager to help and friendly, not what I was expecting. He test drove a few other GT's and said that they all made a little whine noise. Supposedly the Tranny guy also did some research online to confirm this. I however don’t think that this whine noise is normal.

I still have over 2 years left on the powertrain warranty so if it does get worse, I’ll go back to the same Rep. The Rep didn’t mention my modds at all. Have a Barton Shifter/Bracket installed. I’m happy that I have it on record, if it does crap out on me completely, they cant say I never had them check it out.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
The whole "Well they all whine" isn't an acceptable answer....

A properly designed transmission shouldn't wine. If it is going to whine then they should have designed proper sound dampener to compensate.

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
Define trans whine it's going to vary who you talk too. Some think if they make slight noise it gear whine it's coming apart. All manual trans have some noise you have gears running against other gears all the time

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Just took mine in and they are rebuilding the tranny on it. They said the fluid looked good and no metal shavings like they were expecting. But mine whined pretty bad, sounded like a blower. Either way they ordered up the new parts and are doing the right thing. I've gotta say its all about the dealer you go with.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Define trans whine it's going to vary who you talk too. Some think if they make slight noise it gear whine it's coming apart. All manual trans have some noise you have gears running against other gears all the time

Well yes but the vehicle is designed around that noise. They put sound deadening and matting around the tranny tunnel to prevent that noise from entering the cabin. When you have a vehicle that the noise is getting past all of that then it is at a level that is higher than it should be.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
This is my car with the rear seats down. I think I'm going to take it in here in the next week or so and see what they say. (sorry for the sideways video, I was just holding the phone for the sound anyway)

Alcarames

forum member
Reaction score
Sholzer, that's how my car sounded but louder. It was more noticeable with the windows up and sounded like it had supercharger whine. Also, the dealer called me today after having my car for a few weeks and said they got approved from ford engineering to give me a brand new trans instead of the rebuild.

They said there were some parts backordered and would take 3 weeks to get. So they gave me a brand new one. My dealer was the one who pushed the issue since it would be more than 7 days. So again folks find a good dealer that will fight for you.

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
Well yes but the vehicle is designed around that noise. They put sound deadening and matting around the tranny tunnel to prevent that noise from entering the cabin. When you have a vehicle that the noise is getting past all of that then it is at a level that is higher than it should be.

Just like when poeple buy trucks from us we order them with arctic insulation package. But then they go down south buy truck from Texas that doesn't have this package. All they do complain about engine, trans and road noise what are we suppose to do we can't fix this but we're called stupid because it's normal noise. Damn if you damn if you don't can't win can we.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
For some time now I've been noticing a whirring noise when idling with the clutch released and trans in Neutral.
If I push the clutch pedal in the noise goes away.

Today I noticed that if accelerating in 4th I was hearing some weird metallic rattling sounds almost like something was loose, noises coming from the front of the car, maybe underhood?

Not happy with this crap ... makes me wish I went for the GT500 instead of the GT ... a lot less worries about engine / trans durability with that car, and much less of a need to mod for power, that's for sure ...

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
I put my Ford dealer-rebuilt trans to the test again yesterday....full slick, 4500-5000 rpm clutch drop, 8 or 9 passes. No problemo. Then again, it was shifting fine even before Ford rebuilt it, ha! the rear still whines a touch in a narrow speed range, 120-140 Km/h but, not enough for me to get bent about it and lose my car for another month. Eventually, I'll dynamat the spare tire well as that seems to be the speaker for this noise as, when I piled a bunch of loose high density foam in there, it diminished some.

That whirring noise is the throwout bearing and isn't an issue, Gabe, unless it's really screaming or chirping. The rattling I can induce occasionally in 1st or 2nd when I don't stoke quite enough rpm on it and lug it slightly. Try a higher gear just so you're not chugging it at 1000 rpm. GT500s have along list of people bitching about the trans too; don't assume all your problems go away there.

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
This is my car with the rear seats down. I think I'm going to take it in here in the next week or so and see what they say. (sorry for the sideways video, I was just holding the phone for the sound anyway)

That's how mine sounded. I had a few destroyed bearings as well as improper backlash and pinion bearing preload.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I finally got around to remembering to bring in my paper from the dealer. Here is the official list of parts replaced, with part numbers and quantities:

Qty Part # Description
1 BR3Z-7048-A Input shaft seal
1 BR3Z-7A010-A Blanking plug
1 CR3Z-7017-A Input shaft
1 CR3Z-7144-A 5th speed cluster gear
1 BR3Z-6375-D Flywheel assembly
1 BR3Z-7B546-AE Clutch assembly
9 W715869-S439 Self-locking bolt and washer assembly
6 W715869-S439 Self-locking bolt and washer assembly
2 BR3Z-5B266-A Gasket
4 BR3Z-5A231-C Clamp
1 TA-26 Adhesive
1 TA-30 Silicone sealant
3 XT-11-QDC Transmission fluid
1 BR3A-7124-DB Synchronizer hub
8 BR3Z-6379-A Hex head bolt
1 PM-1-C Brake fluid
3 N800594-S100 Bolt

That's everything on the work order I received. The technician comments are this:

VERIFIED CUST CONCERN CLUNK WHEN RUNNING STILL WHINE IN 1 THROUGH 4TH GEAR GOES AWAY IN 5TH AND 6TH REMOVED TRANS INSPECTED PRESSURE PLATE FOUND HALF OF THE RELEASE SPRINGS FURTHER RELEASED THAN OTHERS TORE DOWN TRANS FOUND INPUT SHAFT AND COUNTERSHAFT FORWARD GEAR TO HAVE EXCESSIVE WEAR GEAR CLASH CAUSING WHINE REPLACED WITH NEW AND INSTALLED NEW FLYWHEEL CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE FILLED WITH NEW DOUBE DRY CLUTCH ATF VERIFIED REPAIR

This has completely eliminated all gripes I have with the transmission itself. I do still have an issue with the shifter being too far forward in the console but after taking it back once to squak about that I won't take it in again as I want to maintain a good relationship with them in case I need them in the future. So I'll bite the $130 for a new shifter assembly from Tousley and replace it myself.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Sholzer, that's how my car sounded but louder. It was more noticeable with the windows up and sounded like it had supercharger whine. Also, the dealer called me today after having my car for a few weeks and said they got approved from ford engineering to give me a brand new trans instead of the rebuild.

They said there were some parts backordered and would take 3 weeks to get. So they gave me a brand new one. My dealer was the one who pushed the issue since it would be more than 7 days. So again folks find a good dealer that will fight for you.

That's how mine sounded. I had a few destroyed bearings as well as improper backlash and pinion bearing preload.

Ouch =/ Bringing the car in for the next scheduled service soon and I'll definitely have them take a look at it from what you guys said, thanks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back