headers on 6r80 stang bought me .2, and 4mph in the eighth!!

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Hello everyone, it was our last race of the season in Evanston Wyoming yesterday, and after installing some Pypes longtube headers, and catless mid-pipe dumping into the factory resonators / over the axle pipes, and my new MBRP axle back mufflers, I'm happy to say the least!!

Last month with nothing more than a converter and tuning from Mike Rousche at Mid-Atlantic tuning I took my stock 6r80 car from about a 9.3@80mph average to an 8.65@80 average in 8750' DA.

Yesterday with Pypes headers and cat-less mids flowing into the factory over the axle pipes and fctory resonators, and finally into my new MBRP axle-back mufflers. I had a pretty deadly bracket car fist of 8.35 time-slips at a touch over 84 mph in about 500' better air. To say I'm very happy would be an under-statement for sure. Btw my worst air run yesterday was [email protected], and the air was a 8570, last months best air pass was an 8.64 right on 80mph in 8550' Da

The install wasn't too terrible, the fitment was great, and I'm super glad I saved a fair amount over the price of other systems I've seen, which allowed me to get the axle-backs as well and still have about an extra three bills in my pocket compared to other brands I've been pondering at.

The sound is absolutely phenominal imo, and it's not too damn loud to drive down the interstate. If anyone has any questions on the install, feel free to ask and I'll elaborate no problem at all. I did them on my back with the car on jack-stands. There are a few tricks here and there I've picked up along the way. I wish it had an off road x-pipe prior to these headers so I could share the gains for just going cat-less to actually having headers,

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Nice JOB! BTW do the headers get in the way of transmission removal? Meaning can you get to the 6R80 without pulling aftermarket LT's to yank the tranny? Thanks. I am pondering LT's vs Circle D 258mm 3C for project upgrade 2017. Thanks

MAN I HATE TYPING!!!!!!!!!!

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I never actually gave it much thought when I was under there, but the collectors are very wide apart, and I'd guess that you could get it out without removing them. I'll try to check it out next time I'm under the car and get back to ya on that. I also can't speak from experience yet, but I'm thinking the engine would probably come out as easily as the trans for doing the converter at a later date. I might pull mine this winter if I decide to upgrade the oil pump gears before I install a blower of some sort.

I'm guessing you have a positive displacement blower by the converter you suggested in your post above. I'm sure it would help, but the gains will probably not be as great as with a naturally aspirated set-up, or a centrifugal blower set-up, but I'd fathom that the gains would still be at least a bit more than with the headers, so I say do them both!!!!

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Nice JOB! BTW do the headers get in the way of transmission removal? Meaning can you get to the 6R80 without pulling aftermarket LT's to yank the tranny? Thanks. I am pondering LT's vs Circle D 258mm 3C for project upgrade 2017. Thanks

MAN I HATE TYPING!!!!!!!!!!

No. In fact it makes it easier as you don't have to move the bell housing around the front o2's.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Well now that is great news. Puts a whole new perspective onto things with the Stainless Power series out by Stainless Works. May just have to let the factory torque converter ride it out another year. Thanks.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, it was our last race of the season in Evanston Wyoming yesterday, and after installing some Pypes longtube headers, and catless mid-pipe dumping into the factory resonators / over the axle pipes, and my new MBRP axle back mufflers, I'm happy to say the least!!

Last month with nothing more than a converter and tuning from Mike Rousche at Mid-Atlantic tuning I took my stock 6r80 car from about a 9.3@80mph average to an 8.65@80 average in 8750' DA.

Yesterday with Pypes headers and cat-less mids flowing into the factory over the axle pipes and fctory resonators, and finally into my new MBRP axle-back mufflers. I had a pretty deadly bracket car fist of 8.35 time-slips at a touch over 84 mph in about 500' better air. To say I'm very happy would be an under-statement for sure. Btw my worst air run yesterday was [email protected], and the air was a 8570, last months best air pass was an 8.64 right on 80mph in 8550' Da

The install wasn't too terrible, the fitment was great, and I'm super glad I saved a fair amount over the price of other systems I've seen, which allowed me to get the axle-backs as well and still have about an extra three bills in my pocket compared to other brands I've been pondering at.

The sound is absolutely phenominal imo, and it's not too damn loud to drive down the interstate. If anyone has any questions on the install, feel free to ask and I'll elaborate no problem at all. I did them on my back with the car on jack-stands. There are a few tricks here and there I've picked up along the way. I wish it had an off road x-pipe prior to these headers so I could share the gains for just going cat-less to actually having headers,

Congrats on the ET/MPH improvements! I did some quick math to estimate your times for a 1/4 mile track and it appears that you'd easily be around 11.60 @ 119 at sea level based on your 1/8 mile #'s & DA. I've had long tubes on my short list of mods for awhile and your results give me even more reason to do them. I already have Pypes off-road H-pipe, but it doesn't look like their LT's fit with them, so I've got to find a LT/H-pipe combo that's reasonably price. Congrats again!!!

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Couldn't be happier with those headers Brian. I reused the studs, and factory gaskets with no problems. I did replace the factory locking nuts for the header studs with regular nuts with lock washers, as the studs are pretty damn long, and turning some of them bastards with a wrench the whole way down would've been brutal

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Good work!

Was the previous combo cat-less too?
No, completely stock exhaust front to back, I wish it was previously on a catless mid-pipe to measure the gains between that, and cat-less headers, because if it isn't much, that is quite a bit of work, and money. But they do sound amazing too

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
No, completely stock exhaust front to back, I wish it was previously on a catless mid-pipe to measure the gains between that, and cat-less headers, because if it isn't much, that is quite a bit of work, and money. But they do sound amazing too

Well, I guess that means I'll have to be the one to measure before and after - LOL. I'll likely do LT's over the winter, and I'm already catless now. However, I'm going to do a BMR K-member and probably their front lower control arms at the same time to ease installation and drop weight.

I'll be drag racing at Bremerton Raceway this Friday, then early October (weather permitting), then we're done racing for the season. My wife has made it very clear that I can't mod my new Challenger since I bought it as a "daily driver," so that means the Mustang will be much more track-focused going forward.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
high 1.8's before. low 1.8's and one straggler high 1.7's after the headers. 100% stock suspension

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Well, I guess that means I'll have to be the one to measure before and after - LOL. I'll likely do LT's over the winter, and I'm already catless now. However, I'm going to do a BMR K-member and probably their front lower control arms at the same time to ease installation and drop weight.

I'll be drag racing at Bremerton Raceway this Friday, then early October (weather permitting), then we're done racing for the season. My wife has made it very clear that I can't mod my new Challenger since I bought it as a "daily driver," so that means the Mustang will be much more track-focused going forward.
Oh heck, I think by "no mods" she really means "stall and tune" only, but you have to have drag radials a few weeks later or you just wasted money on the "stall and tune" hahahaha!

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Makes me want to do headers. Then again I wonder how much of that was the xpipe vs the headers. I already have a catless x.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Oh heck, I think by "no mods" she really means "stall and tune" only, but you have to have drag radials a few weeks later or you just wasted money on the "stall and tune" hahahaha!

Ha, ha! My wife won't fall for that and, besides, new Challengers are more difficult to mod. You have to buy a new PCM that's unlocked before you can buy a tuner and change tunes. Only one company seems to make converters for the Mopar and it's even more expensive than Circle-D. Because of the big Brembo brakes (front and rear), the easiest route for drag radials is to run 20's on the factory wheels.

I love the simplicity of modding our S197's. Most of the guys on the Challenger forums acknowledge how easy it is to mod our S197's vs the Challengers. Heck, our S197's are even easier than Mustang S550's, too.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score

Congrats on your e.t. improvements.
Your 8.35 times should equate to around a 12.90-13.0 in the 1/4.

I am curious what your 60 ft. times are.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Congrats on your e.t. improvements.
Your 8.35 times should equate to around a 12.90-13.0 in the 1/4.

I am curious what your 60 ft. times are.
before the headers, it was highish 1.8's with a 1.9 straggler run, after the headers, it was lower 1.8's with a straggler 1.7 60'

Ha, ha! My wife won't fall for that and, besides, new Challengers are more difficult to mod. You have to buy a new PCM that's unlocked before you can buy a tuner and change tunes. Only one company seems to make converters for the Mopar and it's even more expensive than Circle-D. Because of the big Brembo brakes (front and rear), the easiest route for drag radials is to run 20's on the factory wheels.

I love the simplicity of modding our S197's. Most of the guys on the Challenger forums acknowledge how easy it is to mod our S197's vs the Challengers. Heck, our S197's are even easier than Mustang S550's, too.

That's the exact reason I now own a 6r80 coyote stang, while Camaro and Vette people run slow at the track and excuse themselves by stating how easy, and cheap it is to go fast in a Mustang. Well I'm here to take advantage I suppose, hahaha. The great running Coyote engine is attractive, but the strength and the available converters for the trans, and also the 15" wheel fitment with these cars is the absolute "icing on the cake" for me.

Makes me want to do headers. Then again I wonder how much of that was the xpipe vs the headers. I already have a catless x.
I've pondered on that too I'm guessing there's a bigger performance gap between stock, and cat-less mids. Than from cat-less mids to cat-less headers. Then there's the sound, these thing sound "electric" to me, and I love it. I've heard a handful of stock manifold with catless mid Coyote Stangs, and although they sound good, mine has a very distinct sound that sets it apart. Although many Youtube videos seem to be leaning towards the loudest exhaust possible from a lot of header people, mine is really mild sounding in comparison, going into the factory over the axle pipes with the factory resonators.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
lets keep one thread on this please - merged

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Yeah it makes it pretty tough. Also 7' elevation rise from start to finish at that track as well, but that's probably more ordinary than 9000' Da's though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back