Heads-Heads-Heads!

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Ok guys...
I've decided to not use the engine builder in Nashville to work my heads.
Why?
Because he's built many race engines over the years, but he's never touched a modular motor.
Although he says, "it's just nuts & bolts...they're all the same principal."...I'd prefer someone with more than no experience on 3V heads.
And, he won't give me a dollar amount, not even ballpark.
Sorry, but I can't write a blank check.

So fast forward to today...
It's time I do something because I have everything sitting in the garage EXCEPT heads to really get my build going.

RGR heads are stupid expensive, so I'm out on those.
Leaves me 2 heads that I'd consider...
FRPP Stage 3 or Fox Lake Stage 2 w/upgrades.

Anyone have experience with the Fox Lake heads?
If so, tell me about it?

Tasca Steve says he'll have Stage 3's on Friday. None available right this minute.
Fox Lakes, I gotta send them in and wait until they turn them around.

Are the Fox Lake heads any better than FRPP?

I do like the idea of getting new heads with FRPP, no cores needed.

Anyway, give me y'all's experience with these heads...good, bad or ugly.

Thanks!

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I believe for the same money spent on head kits, maybe look into someone that can port them.... I spent around 3k to have a 5 angle valve job, port intake side and port and polish exhaust side. I have the flow numbers somewhere. also got oversized 1mm ferrea valves and ti retainers

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I believe for the same money spent on head kits, maybe look into someone that can port them.... I spent around 3k to have a 5 angle valve job, port intake side and port and polish exhaust side. I have the flow numbers somewhere. also got oversized 1mm ferrea valves and ti retainers

I can get that from the builder in Nashville and he's built shitloads of drag motors..but no 3V or modulars. I feel he can the work but this "blank check" bullshit without telling me what parts or machine work is going to be done, is what's shying me away. The guy knows his shit building motors.

Hell, his son is current points leader at Nashville Speedway in Pro Late Model class. He also build my brothers race engines.

He told me he'd run it on the flow bench after they're completed and then order a cam using the flow numbers. I mean he knows where to go with it, but won't give me a $, or ballpark.

sickk09gt

Reaction score
I had a local engine builder in town to do me a set off 3 v heads port polish (By hand) new valves on my last motor...it only gave problems..long story short, when I thought motor was 100% I had it dynoed and it made 740 hp on 14.5 psi ..and on my way home it dropped a valve....it was a nightmare! !!

So I started fresh...new motor, new parts etc...it was difficult choosing someone who can build me a good set of heads.. so I looked at Frpp...livernios...RGR heads etc..etc... I aslo took in mind I wanted to use someone thats has done these 3v heads and have been race proven...so I called Ron at fox lake...back in December. ..after talking to him ..emails ..on these 3v heads he said he would build me a good set of heads...also he mentioned he has experience with 3v heads and race proven...I mentioned how much power I wanted to make and not to drop a valve again lol... so I got stage 3 heads ...cnc port and polished...manley ss valves..inconel exhaust valves comp springs..bronze guides , and steel retainers..he was very helpful and gave me an estimate whenever I was ready to pull the trigger...so I did

I dynoed 2 months ago and boy was I nervous lol ...the only difference with my 2 engine's was just the heads... with fox lake heads I ended up making 780 on 13.8 psi so I make more power with less boost... so far its been working out...I plan to run more psi in December or January. ..but for now im glad I wemt with fox lake heads...they are as advertised

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I have wondered about fox lake heads also. Glad to see this thread.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
coupeperformance.com in Atlanta I run his 3v heads and 127500's 375/350 hp/tq SAE and "great under the curve". He can do anything you need, his prices are on his website and are resonable

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm happy with the FRPP cnc heads I have. They are made by Livernois on new head blanks. The only thing I've done to them is swap the springs out. FRPP is well known for taking care of problems, that was a big factor in my decision.

I have a set of heads in my spare parts bin and have thought about sending them out to Fox Lake. Things I wonder about are why nextech springs, why Manley ss intake valves of the same size and why new Inconel exhaust valves when the stock ones are Inconel?

I've also though of just giving them to the machine shop I use and see what they come up with. They haven't let me down yet and these heads need to be surfaced anyway.

Good luck with whatever you do. Report back.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I have a set of Fox Lake heads, I don't think I have ever heard a bad thing about them....hmmmmmmm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back