HELP: coil pack screw is stuck in cover.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
So I had garantelli coil packs on my car and they threw a code and fucked up the idol...so I went to remove them and on one of them is not coming out...i know its the thread piece has come loose from the valve cover...I applied like zero pressure and it just went....

So I dont really want to get in and cut the bolt off and fuck with it...im thinking to get a new cover piece and just swap them out...does anyone have any idea how much of a pain that is and where to buy that piece...

Any help woule be awesome.

Car is a 2013 GT.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
More than likely the threads stripped out of the screw or valve cover. If you can press up from the bottom of the screw it should come out when unscrewed. If that doesn't work it's time to drill it out.

You could even get a screwdriver blade under the screw head to apply upward pressure while unscrewing.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
More than likely the threads stripped out of the screw or valve cover. If you can press up from the bottom of the screw it should come out when unscrewed. If that doesn't work it's time to drill it out.

You could even get a screwdriver blade under the screw head to apply upward pressure while unscrewing.

Its the threaded piece the bolt screws into, that has stripped out of the plastic, so its not the bolt...so applying pressure to the bolt wont help.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Its the threaded piece the bolt screws into, that has stripped out of the plastic, so its not the bolt...so applying pressure to the bolt wont help.

All the 3v coils I've seen screw directly into the valve cover, no plastic insert just threaded metal.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
All the 3v coils I've seen screw directly into the valve cover, no plastic insert just threaded metal.

Not a 3v...trust me, looking at the other ones, the bolt, bolts into a sleeve that is thread and that sleeve is moulded or glued into the plastic.

Im thinking ill just get a new timing cover...they are $100 and swap it out...doesn't look to hard...anyone have any experience?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Not a 3v...trust me, looking at the other ones, the bolt, bolts into a sleeve that is thread and that sleeve is moulded or glued into the plastic.

Im thinking ill just get a new timing cover...they are $100 and swap it out...doesn't look to hard...anyone have any experience?

Just caught it, 2013. Good luck.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
As long as the coil clicks onto the plug and doesn't move a lot it will be fine. You could epoxy the anchor back in place as well.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
As long as the coil clicks onto the plug and doesn't move a lot it will be fine. You could epoxy the anchor back in place as well.

Problem is, because the coils threw a code, I need to get it back out...so I can put the stock one in and it WONT come out. It sucks, because I used almost no force and it just let go.

Im just now trying to see if the valve cover is hard to pull...doesn't look like it...seems pretty straight forward, but don't want to order a part and figure out its a massive bear.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
you not able to just pull up on the pack while turning the screw?

never bothered with 5.0 engine so not sure what your working with

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Can you use a small screwdriver or pick to stab the broken plastic part and stop it from spinning as you back the screw out?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need to take a picture so we can see what you're dealing with.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
You need to take a picture so we can see what you're dealing with.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

I think im just going to buy a new valve cover and swap them out....

Any idea on if the cover will be hard to swap?

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
If this is the driver's side yes you will need to contend with the plastic oil dipstick tube. It just snaps into the bottom of the cover and snakes down through the head. Lift the cover up and away in a straight line until it clears. Might as well just order a new tube along with the cover as they break very easily and are cheap.

Passenger's side no such worries, just pops right off.

Note where the factory used small dabs of silicone and do the same upon reassembly.

Last edited:

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
Why was there a need to change the coil packs out in the first place?

Got a killer deal on them and saw results both positive & did nothing in the power dept...but saw some that did show a few mpg increase, so I figured over the course of 8 years or so, they probably come close to paying for themselves. I also have plans of going FI, when my 5/60k is up and figured they couldn't hurt.

skulls

forum member
Reaction score
If this is the driver's side yes you will need to contend with the plastic oil dipstick tube. It just snaps into the bottom of the cover and snakes down through the head. Lift the cover up and away in a straight line until it clears. Might as well just order a new tube along with the cover as they break very easily and are cheap.

Passenger's side no such worries, just pops right off.

Note where the factory used small dabs of silicone and do the same upon reassembly.

Its passenger side..thanks for the tip...all are back to stock, except for this one...I shut the CEL off and it hasn't come back on...so im in a holding pattern right now, talking with Ford about workmanship issues.

I may try to cut the head off and pull the sleeve out and re-epoxy it in...but still a bit leary of that.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
...all are back to stock, except for this one...I shut the CEL off and it hasn't come back on...so im in a holding pattern right now, talking with Ford about workmanship issues.
From Ford's perspective, you damaged the cam cover while installing aftermarket parts. There is really nothing else to discuss and there are no "workmanship issues" except yours.
I may try to cut the head off and pull the sleeve out and re-epoxy it in...but still a bit leary of that.
^Thank you for proving my point. I would be pissed if a Ford mechanic used a bunch of JB Weld to "repair" my car. So, the part that had zero issues until you broke it is defective, but trying to N-rig it back together is okay?
retard.gif

If it bothers you, just replace the cam cover. And I'm sorry, but lol at a $500 set of ignition coils saving enough gas money to pay for themselves.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
as I always tell my son when working on the car and getting to a stuck or stripped bolt or nut "No bolt or nut is gonna beat me". There has got to be a way to get that sucker out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back