Help for tall driver

roboworm

Reaction score
I'm only 6' 2'', but I am not comfortable when I race. I need either a lower seat or a steering wheel extension. My helmet is hitting the roof, my knee is hitting the key, and my arms are too stretched out. I'm using my stock seats for track days. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I have mounted a couple of after market race type seat and they will mount lower if that is what you need. Not much you can do with the stock seats. After market race steering wheels don't have air bags which you don't want when you're all strapped in so they allow you to space them out as needed. You buy a hub and you can get spacer to match the wheel to the hub but closer to you as you move the seat back and down.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
keeping it stock, you really dont have many options. best bet would be to get a race seat that you swap in and out for track days

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Imagine how I feel being 6'6". I hit the roof without a helmet on. And don't even talk to me about knees

roboworm

Reaction score
Are any racing seats designed to be lower than the rest?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Just about ANY true race seat (side mount) will be able to be installed to give you the clearance you need. When I mocked up my ultrashield in it's lowest possible position, my eyes were about even with the pony logo on the steering wheel, and I'm 5'11". Best bet is to go with either the Corbeau or Sparco seat bracket, which sits as low in the car as possible, a set of the Sparco side-mount brackets, and then just mount the seat where it needs to be. Focus first on leg position, then on arm position, and those two will determine your seat angle. Tip: Before drilling anything, use an assortment of 2", 1" and 1/2" thick rolls of masking tape to mock up the seat position. Then use a Sharpie to mark the hole locations. IF you do an FIA seat, the holes will be pre-set, and it's just a matter of setting up the brackets to get the position you want. FWIW, the "fabricated" seats, like Ultrashield or Kirkey wind up being about 3/16" thick at the bottom of the seat pan, so no issues with vertical clearance at all.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Seat selection and installation are the key. There are 6'4" guys running Spec Miatas with no problem.

Backroad_Beast

2007 Torch Red GT
Reaction score
Seat selection and installation are the key. There are 6'4" guys running Spec Miatas with no problem.

I'd love to see what those guys are running. My dad's got a 2nd Gen Miata and at 6'3 300lbs I absolutely hate driving the thing because of how crammed I am. If I actually fit, like I did back in high school the thing would still be pretty fun to drive.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Its all about cutting the stock seat mounts and playing with your aftermarket race seat/mounts, any person could get into any car. A lot of trial and error.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back