Help me figure this one out.

TonyN

Ford Junkie
Reaction score
ok so i tore into it today to see if i could find and air leak. nfg. but im going to describe the problem in detail and see if anyone can figure something out.

car starts a little rough but idles fine after first COLD startup. the car will run goos until it is warmed up and then it runs like poo. im getting codes 0500 and 0345 but not at the same time, only one or the other. when it does start running crappy, it idles around 5-600 and sounds like i have a monster cam. it sounds like the timing is fucked. also sometimes if i rev it to 5500, it comes down and idles normal. while i had the intake off today it was upside down and i got a good bit of oil out of the throttle body. i may have a pic of that later. i checked and rechecked all the cmdp gaskets. i made sure the surfaces were clean. when i run my old tune, it runs fine but i get a wrench light for the cmdps. im basically going batshit crazy with this thing. what could it be?

Sure sounds like it's a tune issue since it runs fine with the old tune and crappy with the new one (fuel issues?). Codes seem sporadic...?

P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2)
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) A

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
Forgot to add that it smells real bad, like it is running super rich.

I was there. To add to the description, when it is at idle and running like poo, it sounds like it has a serious valve tap.

Rev it up it runs fine for a bit, then back to poo. A lot of cursing was used, but none of them helped.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
are you sure your homemade CMCV plates are ok, ive seen them run through a motor and damage a bunch of shit due to them not being made properly. check to make sure they arent leaking anywhere...

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
are you sure your homemade CMCV plates are ok, ive seen them run through a motor and damage a bunch of shit due to them not being made properly. check to make sure they arent leaking anywhere...

i took them off and checked all the plugs. none were missing. i also shined a light and tried to look through and see if there were any leaks, nothing showed up.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
update: i talked with the guy who helped with the install. he said one of the COPs dropped from the raidator shroud to the floor. could it have broken, causing sporadic misfiring? they were off because we were doing the valve covers as well

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Dropping it could have broke it, could being the main word here. When you put the old tune in did the car drive ok? If it did it has to be a tune issue. Also did it throw any of the same codes that the new tune did?

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Also another thing I was just thinking about, is the alt. charging at idle? When I put my 200amp one on I popped the inline fuse and it ran like horse shit, but I have also heard of others having similar problems with them not charging at idle causing codes to be thrown..

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
the alternator and battery are only 400 miles old. im taking out the cmdps wednesday and going back to my original tune. i have a bunch of suspension stuff i need installed so im going to get that done and have the cmdps reinstalled when i get that stuff done. also throing on a pypes O/R H.

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
Well I hope you get it fixed, the Alt. was a shot in the dark. After reading all your post a second time it really sounds like you have a bad tune for it otherwise it would run like shit with the old tune also. Keep us posted though

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
you arent the only one who suggeted the alternator. i actually had the info screen flash check charging system. when i ran the diagnostics it checked out ok. if it still runs like crap after everything, im guessing its going to be the alt or the COP. either way ill probably warranty it.

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
Would it still be the alternator if with the stock tune it runs right?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
wait... u still havent tried what i told u to?

i have, but when its cold it runs perfect. no miss and no problems. after i go back to the non cmdps then i can figure out if i need to start switching out coils. i think there is a possibility that it may be a coil, but i want to make sure that if it is, i can just eliminate the problem and buy a used set

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i figured it out. when the CAI was reinstalled, there was a TINY spot where it didnt sit right. what a motherfucker that turned into

LMAO I have had that same thing happen before...I was thinking WTF NOW!!!
Nothing that a flathead screwdrive couldn't fix. reseated the elbow to the airfilter and all was right with the world...I have to say it did freak me out for a while though. glad you found your issue and was able to take care of it.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
i have, but when its cold it runs perfect. no miss and no problems. after i go back to the non cmdps then i can figure out if i need to start switching out coils. i think there is a possibility that it may be a coil, but i want to make sure that if it is, i can just eliminate the problem and buy a used set

It still could be a COP that's having the issue. When it's cold everything is tighter, but when it warms up it could get a loose connection when everything expands.

Mylilpony

forum member
Reaction score
when its warmed up and running liek shit, unplug the injectors by the clip, and diagnose it that way. easiest way to do it. if the idle doesnt change, there is a problem in that cylinder!

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
another thing, does anyone think this could be a bad gas issue?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would just put it back to stock since it doesn't take long, install stock tune and see if it goes away.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
im doing that tomorrow, i just want to eliminate all possible loose ends first

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back