Help me figure this one out.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't see how this could have anything to do with the O2 sensors, but your car runs in open loop mode (i.e. doesn't use the O2 sensors) for some period of time defined by your tune, then switches to closed loop. At that time, if an O2 sensor is bad, the car generally starts running like shit because the computer is trying to compensate for too much or too little air.

Did you mess with the O2s at all during the installation?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
O2 sensors havent been touched for any reason. the rears were turned off at one point, but that is it. even when the car was returned to bone stock (engine wise) the car still ran crappy when warm

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
also, i would like to thank the guys at BBR for spending about 3 hours altogether on the phone with me trying to get this figured out.

limelight

forum member
Reaction score
Something that everyone should know about their factory warranties is that just because your car is modified doesn't mean that your warranty is automatically voided.
The law states that for a manufacturer to cancel warranty coverage they have to prove that the aftermarket modification caused the failure of the part that is under warranty.
There are certain known failure patterns on Mustangs that cannot be caused by modifications(alternators,COP's,sensors,etc).
If your car has,say, underdrive pulley's,CAI, rear gears, etc and the car develops a misfire from a bad COP, then they must cover the COP under warranty(assuming that you didn't damage it).
This is called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act and is designed to protect the consumer.
I work for a dealer and I don't care about modifications generally, however some dealers and tech's are not so generous. They may refuse to work on a modified car-which is their right- but that does not mean that your warranty is void.You may have to search around for a place that will work on it.Do not let them bully you into thinking that they will cancel your warranty.You have legal rights.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
it took me all of an hour to return to stock, so i dont mind having to do it to avoid any problems, but that is very good to know and i will definitely keep that in mind

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Something that everyone should know about their factory warranties is that just because your car is modified doesn't mean that your warranty is automatically voided.
The law states that for a manufacturer to cancel warranty coverage they have to prove that the aftermarket modification caused the failure of the part that is under warranty.
There are certain known failure patterns on Mustangs that cannot be caused by modifications(alternators,COP's,sensors,etc).
If your car has,say, underdrive pulley's,CAI, rear gears, etc and the car develops a misfire from a bad COP, then they must cover the COP under warranty(assuming that you didn't damage it).
This is called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act and is designed to protect the consumer.
I work for a dealer and I don't care about modifications generally, however some dealers and tech's are not so generous. They may refuse to work on a modified car-which is their right- but that does not mean that your warranty is void.You may have to search around for a place that will work on it.Do not let them bully you into thinking that they will cancel your warranty.You have legal rights.

Probably not the best advice(even though I agree with you) to give. Going to a service dept. with an unknown failure, with CMPD's, CAI, custom tuning to the PCM, etc, will net most people no help. Especially Diesel trucks that have been modified.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
so diblasi (dealer) calls me today and says that the problem is my engine oil is contaminated. i need an engine flush because i havent changed my oil in so long. i tell the guy, i changed the oil less than 1500 miles ago with full synthetic, the receipt is in the owners manual in the glove box to prove it. he says that the flush will solve the problem and it costs 139.99. i say ok, so what happens when the flush doesnt solve the problem. he says then we have to look deeper. i say what about my buck forty? he says we have to do it to find out if its the problem. if you give me the go ahead, ill do it and call you back ASAP. i say go ahead, if its gonna cost me 140 to prove you wrong then its probably going to be worth it. that was at 1:30. im pretty sure they could have had an engine flush done in under an hour. i didnt hear back from them. hmmmm

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
on top of that, all the receipts proving that i change the oil less than every 3k with full syntec in there

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
An engine oil flush??? That's a good one, are they changing the muffler bearings too? lol That won't do shit as far as making it run better, you probably need to take it to another shop

Last edited:

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did they run any diagnostic on the electrical? I would have said fuck that, diagnose the damn thing. You shouldnt have to pay for jack shit...its under warranty...

limelight

forum member
Reaction score
Probably not the best advice(even though I agree with you) to give. Going to a service dept. with an unknown failure, with CMPD's, CAI, custom tuning to the PCM, etc, will net most people no help. Especially Diesel trucks that have been modified.
I work on modified diesels all the time as well.You have to find someone who you can trust that will work with you.They are out there.

That crap about an engine flush is complete BS. I have never flushed an engine in my life.Guaranteed to fix nothing.I would avoid this dealer like the plague.

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dealers can get in big trouble for fudging crap under warranty...

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
Steve, you know you can go to any dealer, not just the one you got the car from. How about Lucas Ford out east. I thin they are pretty good with taking care of people.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i go to diblasi because they are local, and because i bought the car there. i just got off the phone with them. its something with the timing he said, they have the parts on order. so i said what about the engine flush, he said oh that was definitely necessary

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
i go to diblasi because they are local, and because i bought the car there. i just got off the phone with them. its something with the timing he said, they have the parts on order. so i said what about the engine flush, he said oh that was definitely necessary

Thats BS they did the flush because they thought the VCT was sticking and thought the flush would unstick it so they didnt have to take it down and save a warranty claim and make you pay for it out of warranty. I would find a new dealer if they make you pay for it..

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so diblasi (dealer) calls me today and says that the problem is my engine oil is contaminated. i need an engine flush because i havent changed my oil in so long. i tell the guy, i changed the oil less than 1500 miles ago with full synthetic, the receipt is in the owners manual in the glove box to prove it. he says that the flush will solve the problem and it costs 139.99. i say ok, so what happens when the flush doesnt solve the problem. he says then we have to look deeper. i say what about my buck forty? he says we have to do it to find out if its the problem. if you give me the go ahead, ill do it and call you back ASAP. i say go ahead, if its gonna cost me 140 to prove you wrong then its probably going to be worth it. that was at 1:30. im pretty sure they could have had an engine flush done in under an hour. i didnt hear back from them. hmmmm

This is why I don't like going to dealers. Even with my limited knowledge of these cars I often know more then some of the quacks they have working in the shop.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
UPDATE:
well i just got back from the dealer. i had to pick up a few things outta the car, and i figured i would inquire as to the state of my vehicle. the mechanic who is doing the work on the car was happy to walk me over to where my engine is sittin in pieces. the crank, cams, rods, everything, was all FUCKED. everything was scored and burnt up. apparently after replacing my cam phasers, there was a loss of oil pressure. which he found out because it started making the same noises again. so now they are working on getting me a new motor. i inquiered about having him install cams or headers while he had the engine out, and he said it would void the warranty. i thought if you had it installed by ford, it retained the warranty. i guess i was wrong. the only mod on the car when i brought it in was the steeda UDPs. thank god for that because they may have to have an adjuster come in to verify the necessity of the new motor

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
well i just got back from the dealer. i had to pick up a few things outta the car, and i figured i would inquire as to the state of my vehicle. the mechanic who is doing the work on the car was happy to walk me over to where my engine is sittin in pieces. the crank, cams, rods, everything, was all FUCKED. everything was scored and burnt up. apparently after replacing my cam phasers, there was a loss of oil pressure. which he found out because it started making the same noises again. so now they are working on getting me a new motor. i inquiered about having him install cams or headers while he had the engine out, and he said it would void the warranty. i thought if you had it installed by ford, it retained the warranty. i guess i was wrong. the only mod on the car when i brought it in was the steeda UDPs. thank god for that because they may have to have an adjuster come in to verify the necessity of the new motor

How the fuck does it lose oil pressure and burn up from replace cam phasers???

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back