Help needed with audio.. please

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
If i decide to go with a indash navigation like this or something similar
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11229241&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|4842|1210&N=4017814&Mo=12&pos=2&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1210&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10607-Cat4842&topnav=

ive heard that when you take out the Shaker 500 unit that the two door subs are done, you wont be able to use them again.. Is this true. or can you wire it up to that and have them work??

Also, i have read and heard from a few people about them taking an after market Amp and hooking it up 2 the Two 8" freeair subwoofers/ midbass .. w/e u want to call them.. they said it produced alot better bass.. Is this true? If so, does anyone know the power of the amp i should use??

Thanks in advance!
-Rob

freebass55

Public enemy #75461659
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I took out my 500, and replaced it with a regular head unit(no nav) and my door speaker still work(and still suck). I went through crutchfield, and they send you the wiring harness, so maybe that's why mine still work.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lULUSHn9nHP/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=Pioneer+AVIC-Z2&i=130AVICZ2
It's a little more expensive...

Yah, but with crutchfield you get what you pay for.. You may spend the extra $$ but their customer service and knowledge about the product are very quality.. My buddy just redid his whole soundsystem in his car and bought it all from them.. They oringinally sent him the wrong wireharness for the head unit, so he called and they said if he wanted 2 finish his stereo stuff right then n there, go out to bestbuy, buy it.. and send us the receipt.. They reinbursted him in no time.. i thought that was pretty cool.. Or my buddy could have just waited for them to send the right one..

But thanks for the link.. i actually like how that looks better anyways! :)

onebadgsx

Reaction score
the door subs are ran off of a seperate amp. you can put them on an aftermarket amp, all the wiring is in the driving side kick panel attched to the factory amp. i replaced the factory 8" with MTX, with no modifications to the door enclosure and run them off a mono amp. the sounds is great, for a cheap system.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just so I understand... you dogged Crutchfield ( a stereo speciality store ) and posted a link to Cosco?

Where ever you heard that the door subs are done from....don't go there again. They have no idea what they are talking about. Metra sells a wiring harness that will plug in to the factory harness, then wires to the outputs of whatever head unit you are putting in, and will allow you to use all your factory speakers and amps. Be it a skipper 500, or 1000.

In my opinion, if you are dropping that much jack on a new head unit and keeping the factory speakers and amps, you are halfass pissing your money away. Do the entire thing and do it right.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If i decide to go with a indash navigation like this or something similar
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11229241&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|4842|1210&N=4017814&Mo=12&pos=2&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1210&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10607-Cat4842&topnav=

ive heard that when you take out the Shaker 500 unit that the two door subs are done, you wont be able to use them again.. Is this true. or can you wire it up to that and have them work??

Also, i have read and heard from a few people about them taking an after market Amp and hooking it up 2 the Two 8" freeair subwoofers/ midbass .. w/e u want to call them.. they said it produced alot better bass.. Is this true? If so, does anyone know the power of the amp i should use??

Thanks in advance!
-Rob
the AVIC-Z2 is a bad ass unit, I have the D1 you need some good info on installing the AVIC units go to www.avic411.com tons of info

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Just so I understand... you dogged Crutchfield ( a stereo speciality store ) and posted a link to Cosco?
???

you are halfass pissing your money away. Do the entire thing and do it right.
And for the record- im 18 yrs old.. i dont get anything handed to me.. im trying to get indash navi in my car and keep my Speakers n such.. it sounds good.. its a balanced system.. I mean, sure if mommy would just dish out money for whatever i wanted i would go ahead and buy all new.. but life isnt easy like that.. i gotta pay for things i want..

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're wanting navigation you should really check out Alpine's W205 and the new Black Bird (beats spending a shit load of money on the software). Though, I don't think we have any black birds in stock...If you look hard you can find some nice prices on the W205. Now with speakers you can go any direction...JL, Alpine, Memphis, Kicker, Zapco, etc. We just picked up JL a couple weeks ago and are going to be doing a complete competition system in my car here in a couple months. We also keep any and every kind of Metra wiring harness and dash kit in stock as well as thats all we use!

Just look around and do some searching. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I'd be more than welcome to help you with your decision. I can't sell or ship any parts right now though!

- Justin

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score
First run on the Z2's has heat issues. I'm still swapping out units for customers, as the corrected models are just now shipping. Make sure you have the second run of these usits.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
If you're wanting navigation you should really check out Alpine's W205 and the new Black Bird (beats spending a shit load of money on the software). Though, I don't think we have any black birds in stock...If you look hard you can find some nice prices on the W205. Now with speakers you can go any direction...JL, Alpine, Memphis, Kicker, Zapco, etc. We just picked up JL a couple weeks ago and are going to be doing a complete competition system in my car here in a couple months. We also keep any and every kind of Metra wiring harness and dash kit in stock as well as thats all we use!

Just look around and do some searching. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I'd be more than welcome to help you with your decision. I can't sell or ship any parts right now though!

- Justin

Hmm, sounds like a good idea- and your not the first to tell me that.. ill keep that in mind. Thanks

First run on the Z2's has heat issues. I'm still swapping out units for customers, as the corrected models are just now shipping. Make sure you have the second run of these usits.

Ohh.. def would.. id have to have to keep changing stuff out..

F00Mustang

Goes from a dig
Reaction score

- Justin

The new Blackbirds have not yet shipped. According to my rep they will "be here soon", but who knows. My rep Kent is as FOS as they come.

I have an entire JL system in my car, front to back. I love it, and the stealth box for our cars fits great. It doesn't hit like the W7 I had in here, but I don't loose any trunk space, which is scarce enough in a vert.

Focal is also a great brand. We deal in Focal, but they can be hard to find.

My personal favorite Nav is the DNX7100 from kenwood. I find its the most well rounded unit - and even has the ability for Ipod video. As far as being a nav though, the Avic-Z2 is the best hands down. Most POI's and most intuitive.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And for the record- im 18 yrs old.. i dont get anything handed to me.. im trying to get indash navi in my car and keep my Speakers n such.. it sounds good.. its a balanced system.. I mean, sure if mommy would just dish out money for whatever i wanted i would go ahead and buy all new.. but life isnt easy like that.. i gotta pay for things i want..

And you're explaining the hardships of life to me why? I certainly hope you don't think my mommie pays for my car. Fuck son, I have stuff in my refridgerator older than you.

D

dannygt07

And you're explaining the hardships of life to me why? I certainly hope you don't think my mommie pays for my car. Fuck son, I have stuff in my refridgerator older than you.

And because you're an admin you can be a jerk to the members who are asking for help from other members............................

And whats a refrigerator? Oh you probably meant refrigerator, fuck son you need to bone up on your spelling skills........................ or did mommy forget to help you along with spelling. Oh maybe a mommie is different then a mommy.

Lighten up dude :doggy:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And because you're an admin you can be a jerk to the members who are asking for help from other members............................

Now see, that is where you are wrong. I would have said exactly the same thing to you reguardless of what I am to this board.

And whats a refrigerator? Oh you probably meant refrigerator, fuck son you need to bone up on your spelling skills........................

Damn.. you are young aren't you. Ok, this one is for free. Next time you want to point out a spelling error, at least quote the same spelling as the person you are attempting to correct. Looks kind of stupid when you spell it correctly twice. OH...wait... you probably did a typo in your incorrect spelling. Gee...imagine that. Hitting too few ( or too many ) letters.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score

And whats a refrigerator? Oh you probably meant refrigerator, fuck son you need to bone up on your spelling skills........................ or did mommy forget to help you along with spelling. Oh maybe a mommie is different then a mommy.

Lighten up dude :doggy:
Nice first post... welcome to the forum.

Now see, that is where you are wrong. I would have said exactly the same thing to you reguardless of what I am to this board.
I can vouch for that... haha.

BTW... "reguardless" is spelled wrong. :poke:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for that... haha.

BTW... "reguardless" is spelled wrong. :poke:

Now see, that is a perfect example of how to point it out. Very good Don. :clap:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back