Help w/ Entry Level AutoX/HPDE Build

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'd still do a brake fluid flush and replacement with at least ATE200 or maybe Motul RBF600. And give serious consideration to at least an entry-level track pad fitting the current brakes.

Norm

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'd still do a brake fluid flush and replacement with at least ATE200 or maybe Motul RBF600. And give serious consideration to at least an entry-level track pad fitting the current brakes.

Norm

I suppose I overlooked upgrading the OEM brakes a bit. Really isn't something that ever crossed my mind. I went straight towards the big brake upgrade.

Also, My current whee;ls are 10" rear and 9" front. Would anyone see a problem with putting a 275 square setup on them? Would the overhang on the front wheels look rediculous compared to the rear?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I believe Norm would be able to convey this message a whole lot better than I can but the OEM brakes can kick in the ABS just as well as the Brembos or StopTechs can so with a good set of pads, fluids and some cooling they are a decent alternative to the big brake kits.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Heh . . . the last two track days I went to started out in the 40°s and until my tires had warmed up a bit I had to be a little careful to avoid ABS activity and a somewhat sluggish recovery of tire rpm to rolling speed (I'm still on a 2008 GT's little 12.4" front rotors). Granted I only have the 4.6L engine, but I'm running in somewhat faster company than the instructed novice group.

Norm

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I might just go ahead and grab the ATE200 fluid. I was originally going to pick up some of the StopTech fluid.

Where do you guys buy pads from, I saw a thread on here mention HAWK Black pads for street/track applications? I might do this on a budget, as I fully intend to upgrade to a 14" Brake within the next year.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I'm going to take a different approach - You are asking about and people are talking about parts. I'm going to say you don't need to do a damn thing but just sign up and go. Your car as it sits is more prepped than 90% of what shows up at a local autox, and is surely capable of exceeding your abilities (nothing personal, just a reality that it takes seat time to even scratch the surface of a car's ability). So my advice is to find a local club and sign up and go. A Starting Line school (http://www.sccastartingline.com/) would be a good thing to invest in as well, but even that I would not put ahead of just finding the next event you can and attending.

I'm not saying don't buy parts - It's fun. But I am saying don't let your level of prep dictate whether you / your car is ready. Thousands of people a year show up and have a blast in boring grocery getters. Dive in!

^^^^That

seat time seat time seat time seat time

This.

At my local AutoX, you will have people show up in rides that should be able to run circles around everyone, but without the proper driver, those rides are crap compared to someone with tons of experience.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a different approach - You are asking about and people are talking about parts. I'm going to say you don't need to do a damn thing but just sign up and go. Your car as it sits is more prepped than 90% of what shows up at a local autox, and is surely capable of exceeding your abilities (nothing personal, just a reality that it takes seat time to even scratch the surface of a car's ability). So my advice is to find a local club and sign up and go. A Starting Line school (http://www.sccastartingline.com/) would be a good thing to invest in as well, but even that I would not put ahead of just finding the next event you can and attending.

I'm not saying don't buy parts - It's fun. But I am saying don't let your level of prep dictate whether you / your car is ready. Thousands of people a year show up and have a blast in boring grocery getters. Dive in!

^^^^That

seat time seat time seat time seat time

Welcome. Sounds like you are off to as good start here and will do well. There is a TON of excellent info in the threads here, so you have a lot of reading ahead of you. Terry's epic Vorshlag 2011 GT build thread is a goldmine, as is Whiskey's build thread.

With your current mods, I think you will either be in CAM or STU. Beyond those, it's ESP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the front splitter may force ESP is someone wants to be a dick and protest. If you just want to play around, and not worry too much right now CAM is probably a good place to hide out.

I'm sorry I missed both of these replies.

I agree, seat time is the number one thing I need to do along with readying and studying the behaviors of my car etc. Essentially all these questions about parts are because the car is my hobby, and seat time or not I'm going to mod it, but I might as well mod it in a way that will help me in my future. I agree that right now, my skillset is a larger factor than the mods I've done on the car for the most part.

That sucks if my splitter really forces me in to ESP.

This.

At my local AutoX, you will have people show up in rides that should be able to run circles around everyone, but without the proper driver, those rides are crap compared to someone with tons of experience.

Right. Last year when I was out there were some caged miates with full track prep that I was running only a half a second faster than. I knew I wasn't fast but the conclusion I came to along with finally confirming with the local experienced guys was that they had little driving skills.

I like to feel like I can handle a car well, most of the guys who rode with me said I do a great job. I know I need work on my lines in some areas and definitely I need massive improvement in the slalom.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you are off to as good start here and will do well. There is a TON of excellent info in the threads here, so you have a lot of reading ahead of you. Terry's epic Vorshlag 2011 GT build thread is a goldmine, as is Whiskey's build thread.

With your current mods, I think you will either be in CAM or STU. Beyond those, it's ESP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the front splitter may force ESP is someone wants to be a dick and protest. If you just want to play around, and not worry too much right now CAM is probably a good place to hide out.

If the splitter is the boss LS one, he's good to go. If not, the asinine new CAM arro rules push it out and straight to SM

stepqhen

forum member
Reaction score
It's the FRPP World Challenge splitter. Smaller then the Leguna Seca.

Size is only part of the problem. The areo rules for ESP say that the splitter can not extend past the stock shape of the body at it's widest points as viewed from above. The only reason the LS splitter is allowed in ESP is because it was a stock factory part on a model of Mustang classed on the same line (verbiage may be a little off, but that is the meat and potatoes of it)

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Those wheels are 18 x 9.5 x ET+45. Sold as FRPP part number M-1007-S1895, with at least one different finish available under a part number suffix.

Norm

+1 These are the wheels I use for road course HPDE events using 275/35-18 Hoosier R6 tire square setup.

If you're new to HPDE, I recommend a good set of street tires as they will "talk to you" more than the slicks as you build your performance driving skills.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Size is only part of the problem. The areo rules for ESP say that the splitter can not extend past the stock shape of the body at it's widest points as viewed from above. The only reason the LS splitter is allowed in ESP is because it was a stock factory part on a model of Mustang classed on the same line (verbiage may be a little off, but that is the meat and potatoes of it)
Good to know. I've gone over those rules a few times, and am looking at the 2015 draft again. I'm waffling between a Boss splitter setup or the Stillen (nee Street Scene) one--the one without turnbuckles. I like how the latter looks, but I know the Ford part is setup to take the LS functional splitter.

+1 These are the wheels I use for road course HPDE events using 275/35-18 Hoosier R6 tire square setup.

If you're new to HPDE, I recommend a good set of street tires as they will "talk to you" more than the slicks as you build your performance driving skills.
Agreed here, use the tires with lower limits. They force you to drive better & don't hide bad habits.

This.

I've seen that many times. The Lamborghini who shows up and gets walked by stock class Miatas. My first jaunt into CAM up against a Pro Touring 1st gen Camaro & I beat both drivers by >1 sec. Placing my stock '13 GT mid-pack among the "pro" class at the Goodguys event last spring (I was 1/2 sec up on my class, and my time was good for 4th against the full pro touring monsters). By the same token, I'm always showing a lower-half-of-the-field time against the local STU drivers. The driver mod is the most important one.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it would, but if you can show me someone at the regional level who would care, I'll call him a dick for you. (Phrasing?)

stepqhen

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah it would, but if you can show me someone at the regional level who would care, I'll call him a dick for you. (Phrasing?)
Unless you are taking first by a hair at every event, then second will probably say something. My take on it is this. I follow the rules, it is just how I am wired. If you have something that clearly doesn't give you an extra advantage, or you are not running at the highest level than I really don't care what you do. Just be aware, you are outside of the rules and if someone protests you then you really can't complain. After all even if the rules make no sense to you or anyone else, they are what they are.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yep. Per 14.2.F you are not technically legal for ST (it's not a production part but a performance catalog part). To me it looks fine for SP. That said, the LS splitter--which is legal due to being a standard part on the Boss 302 LS--is bigger. I wouldn't protest it, and if someone does, it's a dick move. Personally I'd just run it and if someone does pull the dick move, then cross that bridge then.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'll run it and see how it goes. I still have my stock BOSS splitter I can throw on if I need to. But taking off this WC splitter just sounds like a PITA. I purchased this mostly for the aggressive appearance. Wasn't too serious about tracking the car at the time.

EDIT: I also think I'm going to put my brand new never mounted wheels up for sale in favor of a better track setup.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ditch the stock brakes. You need the larger heat sink of the bigger rotor. I warped the stock rotors just doing autocrosses, and I'm slow. :highfive:

Back