Help with codes

maco7173

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mustang GT with C&L race cold air intake with a Diablo Predator. I did search the forums but no one really had an answer as what solved the problem, So here is the question, the car has 51,000 and barely driven. About 2 weeks ago, my wife decided to drive it to work since she had not drove it for about 3 months. She said the wrench light came on and the car had no power. I took the predator and went to see what was wrong with the car and when I got there it statred right up and I found no codes. My son asked to drive it the other night and he said the wrench light came on and the car had no power and limped it back in the garage. I couldn't check it that night as I have been working late and waited till today to check it out. I get in it and it starts right up, I had to run some errands and drove for about 20 minutes and as I pushed the clutch in, wrench light came on and it had no power. I had the predator with me and checked to see if I could get codes. It threw out P1000, P2104, P2111 and P2135. I normally drive the car to the gym and back at least 5 times a week for a drive of less then 5 miles and it and have never had any real issues with it. I cleaned the MAF and have cleaned the throttle body about 6 months ago. I reloaded my tune and it runs good for about 20 minutes and starts to idle up and down and eventually dies? Any suggestions as to what I should do next or what to check for. The car is maintained well, but I have not changed the spark plugs as I am afraid of breaking one off. Thank you all in advance.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the battery and alt?

TB stepper motor or clock spring for TB.

Last edited:

maco7173

Reaction score
Thank you, I will have it checked this weekend and the alternator was replaced about a year ago with a re-manufactured one. I will update this if this solves the problem. Thank you again Sir.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Uh oh...alternator replaced with a re-manufactured...not good.

Check the voltage output of the alternator with all the accessories on; headlights, HVAC, stereo, step on the brakes, etc.

1quick08

Reaction score
Yep,make sure you have proper voltage from the alt.Make sure you let it get hot,sometimes alt's fail after they get some heat in them.IF not,sounds like a throttle body issue.

maco7173

Reaction score
I plan on having it checked tomorrow. It does make sense that it starts to act up after running for about 20 minutes. I will update on here as soon as I fix it. Thank you all for the help.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A long time ago when I first got my car, I had a problem with the TPS and it did the same thing. Wrench light would come on, limp mode. All I had to do is cycle the key and it would start right up and work fine. I also got the same codes also EXCEPT for the 2111 -- never got that one.

maco7173

Reaction score
Update......... Well, I had the alternator checked and all checked ok. The manager at the store suspected it might be the alternator too and he ordered me a new one since it has lifetime warranty. Today I put it all back together and it ran perfect for about 20 minutes, then the idle would go up to 1500 RPM and down to under 500 RPM. It only died once, but it never threw out any wrench or codes. Anything else you guys think I might need to check? Thank you all for the help.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TPS, stepper motor would be next as posted above.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Update......... Well, I had the alternator checked and all checked ok. The manager at the store suspected it might be the alternator too and he ordered me a new one since it has lifetime warranty. Today I put it all back together and it ran perfect for about 20 minutes, then the idle would go up to 1500 RPM and down to under 500 RPM. It only died once, but it never threw out any wrench or codes. Anything else you guys think I might need to check? Thank you all for the help.

What kind of alternator are you using? I have read multiple times that autopart store alternators don't work on our cars.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Throttle position sensor and the silver electric motor on the driver side of the TB

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TPS, If u can borrow one to swap out that's easiest.

Motor, not sure how to tell u to test that, other than replacing it.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
You don't think the duralast alternator has anything to do with it.
I still have not read of anyone having luck using autoparts alternators on our cars.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
You don't think the duralast alternator has anything to do with it.
I still have not read of anyone having luck using autoparts alternators on our cars.

I've had an Autozone alternator on my car for over 2 years and it has been working great. I suspect the autoparts alternators are hit or miss but I've been lucky.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Today I put it all back together and it ran perfect for about 20 minutes, then the idle would go up to 1500 RPM and down to under 500 RPM. It only died once, but it never threw out any wrench or codes. Anything else you guys think I might need to check?

There's a good chance it's the TPS, although the TB stepper motor could also be at fault.
I suggest you clean the TB blade/bore thoroughly and while you're there, pull the stepper motor and clean that as well. Hopefully those measures might at least improve the idle and possibly even cure it. If not, replace the TPS.

maco7173

Reaction score
Thank you guys..... I have a buddy who is going to let me barrow his parts while his car is down to see if that does it. I did clean the Throttle body really good before i put everything back together. It was a little dirty, but nothing bad at all. Will keep you all posted.

maco7173

Reaction score
Update.......I have been busy and finally got around to working on the Mustang since my wife's Escalade now needs a whole new pedal assembly. Well, I ran the car to the auto parts store since I had no choice. I drove it for about 30 minutes and ran like a champ. I got a new TPS sensor and went ahead and replaced it. So far so good, it is running great. My buddy works at the auto parts store told me to save my old one and if the new one fails, bring it back and he will defective out the sensor and get me back my money. I will keep everyone posted and thank you all for all the help.

Back