Hey guys.... I need a complete list of goodies for a new motor??

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
Update Pics...........

I don't know a lot but I DO know that its never good when you find part of a piston laying under your intake!!!:thud:

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know a lot but I DO know that its never good when you find part of a piston laying under your intake!!!:thud:
Yikes! Thus my suggestion to tear it down before you settle on a new parts list - the heads can get damaged when that happens...

FWIW - I can confirm your suspicion that the piston does not go there... :samuri:

TheBOSS

I ride the short bus!
Reaction score
Yikes! Thus my suggestion to tear it down before you settle on a new parts list - the heads can get damaged when that happens...

FWIW - I can confirm your suspicion that the piston does not go there... :samuri:

My(his) parts list starts with a new balanced and forged bottom end for sure. As far as the heads go, he was going to get the stockers ported and just cleaned up but we may be in the market for at least one new head the way its looking. Are aftermarket heads worth the money?

The intercooler tubes were filled with an oil and antifreeze muck so I suppose its in the intercooler tooo...... How do you go about flushing that out?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are aftermarket heads worth the money?
Hard call - complex answer...

First, by that I assume you mean buying ready ported heads from Livernois, VT, MMR or the like? I am not aware of anyone selling 3V heads that aren't the stock heads P&P'd, larger valves and different springs/retainers...

As for whether that is worth depends on your budget and your plans. There is also the "while you are there factor" which is hard to price in (cost of head gaskets, hassle, etc...)

I haven't done an apples to apples, nor have I discussed it with any of the builders I spoke to since I was changing other things, but in ball part figures from what I have researched, heads that flow 20-30% more than stock with stage 2 cams without any other changes should net you 60-80HP with no other changes...

Some of it comes down to what you have to replace anyway...

The intercooler tubes were filled with an oil and antifreeze muck so I suppose its in the intercooler tooo...... How do you go about flushing that out?
I have no idea, but I assume it will involve something caustic like a tub of brake clean... I am sure a radiator shop can tell you...

me-gone

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Hays motor also. His location is Rogers Arkaksas just below Branson.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back