HID help. ASAP!!

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
I have the 6K HIDGuy kit heads and fogs. Drove my mustang to class tonight but didn't turn on my headlights til I was on the highway, problem is they didn't turn on. Fog lights came on just fine but heads wouldn't even flicker no matter how many times I flicked the switch. Thought it was due to being cold and once they warmed up they would come on but no joy. They were also working over the weekend when I drove it, only difference it's been below freezing the last couple of days.

Sorry if this isn't the right section of the forum but I need help ASAP so I can drive home with more then just the fogs.

V8power

Camel Toe FTL!
Reaction score
if it is a plug and play kit, switch the wires that plug into the stock socket.

V8power

Camel Toe FTL!
Reaction score
and nice choice of car color and the vert

IMG_0328.jpg

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
I have had this kit in the car for over a year, you think that would really do it? I'll try that real quick. And thanks hard to keep clean but they look damn good when they are.

V8power

Camel Toe FTL!
Reaction score
I have had this kit in the car for over a year, you think that would really do it? I'll try that real quick. And thanks hard to keep clean but they look damn good when they are.

yeah they do. and wait a sec. there are already been installed for a year? that cant be it then. I though u just installed them.

hummm ur down south so theres no cold... id say just check all of the wires and whatnot

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
Just switched the wires on the pass. side and still nada. And made sure all the wires on that side was connected. Just don't understand how they could be working just a couple of days a go and nothing tonight.

Ha it gets cold occasionally, like today for example been sleeting most of the day.

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I have the 6K HIDGuy kit heads and fogs. Drove my mustang to class tonight but didn't turn on my headlights til I was on the highway, problem is they didn't turn on. Fog lights came on just fine but heads wouldn't even flicker no matter how many times I flicked the switch. Thought it was due to being cold and once they warmed up they would come on but no joy. They were also working over the weekend when I drove it, only difference it's been below freezing the last couple of days.

Sorry if this isn't the right section of the forum but I need help ASAP so I can drive home with more then just the fogs.

yeah they do. and wait a sec. there are already been installed for a year? that cant be it then. I though u just installed them.

hummm ur down south so theres no cold... id say just check all of the wires and whatnot

lets try reading all the information before playing internet super mechanic next time ok?

OP, im guessing your bulbs may have shit the bed on account of the cold. try parking the car inside a warm area somewhere (indoor parking garage at the mall or something) and see if that helps

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
It actually stays parked in the basement when I'm not driving it, and rarely gets below 50 down there.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
Well it wasn't the cold. There's a saying in Bama and I'm sure for the other southern states, "If you don't like the weather turn around and it'll be different." Saying that it went from being in the 20s to 60 degrees today. Tried the headlights and still nothing, I'm leaning more toward it being the fuse now. I find it kind of hard to believe that both ballast and/or bulbs would go out at the same time unless it's the fuse.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
You can use a multimeter to test it, I just didn't think about the fuse until today. If it's not the fuse I plan on calling them tomorrow.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
Well turns out it wasn't the fuse either. Replaced the fuses that came with the kit, lights came on so I thought I had fixed the problem. Driving around town I decided to try them and nothing. Stopped at a Advance Auto bought some 20A fuses, tried it they worked then started my car and bam off again. I seem to have a short in my HID system so I'm going to have to carefully look over the wires and see if I can find the issue. Hopefully it will be a easy fix.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well turns out it wasn't the fuse either. Replaced the fuses that came with the kit, lights came on so I thought I had fixed the problem. Driving around town I decided to try them and nothing. Stopped at a Advance Auto bought some 20A fuses, tried it they worked then started my car and bam off again. I seem to have a short in my HID system so I'm going to have to carefully look over the wires and see if I can find the issue. Hopefully it will be a easy fix.

Check those ground wires first thing. Probably have some water or corrosion on the ground(s).

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
I don't think its the grounds, where I placed the ground is right by the radiator cover and they seem to be fine. I'll look closer at it tomorrow when I try to find the wire issue if there is one.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
Yeh I replace the fuses with the car off, test the lights, then when I crank it the fuses blow. I tried tracking down any wiring issue that might have been in it yesterday and couldn't find a single burnt or exposed wire in the system. I gotta call HIDguy today and see if I'm just over looking something.

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Are you starting the car with them on? You're not supposed to have the hids on while starting from what I have heard because you can have a voltage spike which can pop fuses

Racingtheburg

forum member
Reaction score
Could be a lot of different things.

Some things to check:

Ground
Power
Fuse
ALL connectors
Relay if you have one.

Call the person who sold you the kit, don't fuss around with it if they know the answer right away or take care of you.

I know on my kits if you have issues I would like to know so I can fix the issues.

Back