High Amp Fuse Holders / Battery Relocation

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I like the cat master switch. I should probably order one since the boss don't care, that way I have it when I do mine.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Reminds of a '67 Mustang fastback project I worked on- we put an '07 GT500 motor in the car w/ the battery located in the trunk. I ran a single 1/0 gauge cable to the front and split it there- alt, starter, etc. with a similar-style high-amperage fuse holder like you are using. I took the wire direct to the starter, and a smaller gauge wire from the starter to the alternator. Worked like a charm! Only thing I'd have done differently in your install would have been to wrap the entire length of the cables w/ wire loom. I use the flexible braided stuff (Tech Flex). Just me being paranoid... there's lotsa sharp edges inside these cars. Oh- and I solder and crimp the ring terminals to the cable... messy and requires lotsa heat, but creates an impeccable connection. Looks awesome- I really dig the fuse holder/switch panel and where you put it!

I had originally planned on using some type of loom to protect the battery cables. However since I'm running 3 separate welding cables from the front of the vehicle to the rear, it would have been impossible not to have them make a large bulge under the carpeting. Additionally I am using welding cable which has a thicker more flexible jacketing than battery cable which if routed carefully should provide plenty of protection against chaffing.

Concerning soldering vs crimping the cable ends, the crimper I am using is specifically made for crimping battery terminals. Been using this same crimper design for many years on Caterpillar equipment and if used correctly I have never seen a failure of the crimp.

I like the cat master switch. I should probably order one since the boss don't care, that way I have it when I do mine.

I figured those of you with a heavy equipment background would appreciate that. You'd be surprised how many parts Caterpillar uses that have made their way on to my vehicle as they are of the highest quality. I also get them at a very good price with my employee discount. As mentioned earlier I only paid $50 for the battery disconnect switch which has a capacity of 1000 amps. I challenge anyone to find an equal quality product for that price.

While walking though our shop last week I also found the exact same Bussman fuse holders I purchased from NAPA available through Caterpillar as they are used on 930H Small Wheel Loaders - part of the 289-8902 engine wiring group. For some odd reason the Dealer Similar Parts list doesn't identify them. Fuse holder is 267-2744 and includes the 267-2746 cover (red). To add insult to injury they would have been cheaper through my work.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Done!!

Questions & opinions welcome
100_1697.jpg

100_1701.jpg

100_1702.jpg

Last edited:

KemahGT

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice! Let us know if you have any starting problems. It's hard to believe that a battery that small will start a car, and with that much cable.

Super write up! I'm inspired!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Very nice! Let us know if you have any starting problems. It's hard to believe that a battery that small will start a car, and with that much cable.

Super write up! I'm inspired!

I'm sure I won't. This is the exact battery JDM recommended. They use the same battery in their trunk mounted battery setups.

wabirch

Bill
Reaction score
Awesome installation! I'll go with the + disconnect when I run mine.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back