High RPM Noise/Power Loss, Phasers?

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
06 GT, A few thousand miles ago I started experiancing a ticking from the top end above 5500 rpms. No noise at all during idle or normal driving but every time it hits 5500 and over it has a ticking, almost like its over reving and it losses power. I data logged and sent it to Lito, he said it looked like the timing is going to 0 degrees at high rpm. I'm finally ready to start the repair process, has any one else experienced this issue? Trying to isolate if its a vct or phaser issue or something else. BTW it has 80k miles, auto if it matters, basic bolt ons, newer plugs, always 93 octane and changed the oil Motorcraft. Any help would be much appriciated!

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
subbing...I've got an '06 w/ 85k and I'll be interested to see how this goes

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Any cel? It could be pinging and the computer is pulling timing to compensate. I thought that if its the phasers it would tick at idle but I could be wrong since I have no personal experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Did u get gas anywhere you normally dont recently? Are u tuned for 93 octane?

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
Tuned for 93 and it's been a issue for at least 2,000 miles so not a gas issue

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm Id definately be looking at the phasers because all else failed lol. I want to say its adaptive knock but thats a long time for it to be still ticking. What do they think at lito?

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
What do they think at lito?

He said the timing appears to go to 0 degrees at the point the noise starts which is ultimately controlled by phasers. Has anyone been successful cleaning out VCT solenoids? I'm curious if they are not operating correctly. Mainly wanting to isolate the issue to the phaser/chain assembly. I plan on replacing the whole kit, chain/tensioner/guides/phasers. My fear is that I go through all that work and still have the same issue.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
He said the timing appears to go to 0 degrees at the point the noise starts which is ultimately controlled by phasers. Has anyone been successful cleaning out VCT solenoids? I'm curious if they are not operating correctly. Mainly wanting to isolate the issue to the phaser/chain assembly. I plan on replacing the whole kit, chain/tensioner/guides/phasers. My fear is that I go through all that work and still have the same issue.

Replacing everything together wouldn't be a horrible way to do things. I believe Ford Racing makes a entire kit for the 3 valves (from phasers to lower gear). Good luck and hope it solves the issue.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
^^ agreed. Plus its not a bad idea to replace the timing chain and all that. Itll need to be swapped out sooner or later.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
I'm going to go way out of the field here and ask if you've replaced anything on your exhaust lately? some of the hangers in our car if they're installed upside down will make contact with the body causing false knock and making the computer pull timing. Normally in the higher RPMS.

cdynaco

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to go way out of the field here and ask if you've replaced anything on your exhaust lately? some of the hangers in our car if they're installed upside down will make contact with the body causing false knock and making the computer pull timing. Normally in the higher RPMS.
Now there's a thought outside the box. Although you'd think the knock sensors to ECU would be more isolated than that.

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score

No exhaust changes

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I had knock at high rpm going on but it was the side of my header contacting the the engine compartment. The poly mount had sagged just enough to let it hit under high RPMs or a hard left turn.

Doesn't seem like this is the ops problem though.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
It probably is phasers or timing related. I know that the 05's are known for their problems with phasers and timing chain tensioners. Maybe some of the early 06's had the same problem. Could have also jumped a tooth if the tensioners failed

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back