High RPM Whine & 2nd Gear Whistle

Sn8kebitten

Reaction score
I'm trying to diagnose the issues my car has so I can possibly fix them and drive it without being so stressed out all the time that it's going to kill itself lol currently it makes two separate noises
1. A high rpm whine like an alternator or power steering pump. It only happens above 4,000rpms, any other time it's quiet. Anytime I research this issue, I only find guys that have the problem at idle as well instead of only during high rpms. I'm hoping it's just an idler pulley and not the alternator taking a dump as the factory unit was replaced at 30,xxx miles per Carfax. Also with the cold temps outside lately, when I step on it, this whine has gotten increasingly louder and almost makes an in and out noise where it will fade then come back louder as the rpms increase but as soon as the rpms drop, it stops.

2. No matter whether I'm just babying the car or flooring it, it makes a whistle the entire time it's in 2nd gear that increases with rpms but as soon as it shifts to 3rd, it stops. I know it's transmission related but I hope it's not bad. I just had the transmission flushed and the whistle is still there but it doesn't seem to affect shifts.

Here's a quick video I took the other day just to review the noises but my phone didn't capture them too well. You'll hear the whine in 2nd and the whistle in 3rd once engine reaches 5000rpms. Any clues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkubVilj4RI

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
That's a weird one. No sounds at all revving in neutral, clutch in vs. clutch out?

Sn8kebitten

Reaction score
It's automatic. But if I rev it up to redline in park or neutral, you can hear the whine. It's not as pronounced as it is with a load on it though

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Pump - get your ducks in a row for a fresh trans. Only a guess. :(

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back