Sluggish low rpm

Nickmustangfps

Reaction score
My 2007 3v gt feels slower than it should be. I had it running at 100% after changing coil packs to msg blaster packs and it felt strong at all rpm's. The new coils burnt out after a few days due to a bad alternator and years later after replacing alternator, motorcraft sp, injectors, o2s, cats, vvt, trq coils, and more, it improved but doesn't seem to be as strong as it was in low rpm.

Currently stock with bbk shorty headers, high flow cats and full exhaust with a 87 bama tune, AND 3.73 diff gearing.

Best 0-60 was 6.4 (should be low 5s easily)

Dyno yesterday looked surprisingly normal
With 270 whp peak and 286 ftlbs
It's possible I'm just so used to the power but it feels way too sluggish under 3k rpm for a 4.6

IMG_5641.png

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with either your dyno numbers or the HP/TQ curves. It's impossible to judge the low rpm performance since the dyno run only begins at 2500rpm and the operator only went to WOT at 2800rpm.
BAMA tunes have a reputation for being hit and miss. Therefore I'd suggest you contact Brenspeed's tuning department and request an email tune for your mods. I'm running a 91 octane tune from them and couldn't be happier.

DieHarder

Reaction score
I'd go with Lito myself. Up to you of course. Not happy with current power levels. Check out Dept of Boost.

Bought one of their intake manifold kits a few years back. Installed it myself. Totally worth the cost/effort IMO.

IMG-2305.jpg

Last edited:

Nickmustangfps

Reaction score
I think peak power is just about 100% and I tested 0-60 tonight and got a new person best at 5.6 seconds launching a little over 2k rpm and 35 degrees out. I’m confident I can get low 5s with better conditions and a harder launch. Still though under 3k rpm power isn’t there and close to redline there is a lot of engine vibrations. Hopefully it will improve after I change coil packs. Regardless I plan to reinstall the hot rod cams and get a Lito tune. I’m very happy to have the car performing this close to optimal considering I used to consistently run 7 second 0-60 passes

DieHarder

Reaction score
I think peak power is just about 100% and I tested 0-60 tonight and got a new person best at 5.6 seconds launching a little over 2k rpm and 35 degrees out. I’m confident I can get low 5s with better conditions and a harder launch. Still though under 3k rpm power isn’t there and close to redline there is a lot of engine vibrations. Hopefully it will improve after I change coil packs. Regardless I plan to reinstall the hot rod cams and get a Lito tune. I’m very happy to have the car performing this close to optimal considering I used to consistently run 7 second 0-60 passes
Well, I don't have a lot experience w/tuners but based on this forum's recommendations I went with Lito. He dialed in my car in 3 iterations (tunes). Car runs excellent and any changes I've made he's always provided an updated tune. That said, if you do go that route highly recommend you have an SCT tuner on hand and install a Wideband AFR w/computer outputs beforehand (There are a number of different makes/models out there. I went w/AEM's Boost/AFR in one). That way you can monitor the tune parameters and email the files back and forth to Lito to make changes/updates. It can seem a bit daunting at first but it's actually fairly straight forward once you understand the process and what's being monitored. And, there are plenty of really smart dudes on this site who can explain better than I the intricacies of how things work and why.

Not sure about the vibration issue; my engine runs very smooth up high. I don't run her near redline very often but never experienced any vibration when I have.

Laga

Reaction score
I had a tune from Brenspeed after I bought camshafts from them. The car ran so bad, and I got ZERO help from them. I was going to sell the car. Then I found Lito. Car runs great now. He even tuned it for E85. Runs smooth as a DD and is a 11 second drag car. I needed adjustments for the transmission shifts for track days, and he did that also.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back