Hood Clearance w/ Procharger

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
over 700rwhp. This car is the all out balls to the wall car for me. I drive my 93 blk notch daily so this yellow car is the show/street car for me. I want big dyno numbers but I want it to perform at the track too.

She will put down 700rwhp on 16psi?

recordbreaker5

Blown 3V
Reaction score
I don't know if she will at 16lbs but thats just the pulley on there now for the street. The end result I want over 700rwhp, so probably push into the 20's for psi

05yellowgt

Reaction score
What size is that blower pulley? Looks like a 5.25" or 5.00". I know for a fact that the 5.25" pulley will not clear the stock hood and it would not clear my cowl hood either because the cowl section isn't that far out towards the fender. I'm running a 4.30" pulley. On my car with an F1A it cannot be run on pump gas since I see 27psi. I'm not exactly sure why I see that much boost as others like 05stroker has the same basic setup (stroker short block, 9.3 compression) but I have stock heads, cams and intake. His car only sees about 20 or 22psi with the same pulley setup as my car that sees 27.

My car hits just over your 700rwhp goal, and would probably make 800-850 with heads cams and aftermarket intake. I think you are the same guy that commented on my youtube video of my car on the dyno. Hope this helps.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The boost number is a measure of restriction, since have stock heads/cams its showing more boost at the manifold.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Ok went and found the motor combo:

FRPP aluminator short block, FRPP ported heads on ARP studs, complete COMP valvetrain w/ custom COMP cams, moroso 7 qrt aluminum deep sump, new FRPP intake manifold (when it releases here at the end of the month), FRPP twin 62mm TB, ATI harmonic balancer, and the procharger setup to conclude the powertrain portion.

I'm not sure on the boost you will make with a specific pulley combo but I believe you need to go to somewhere around a 4.75" pulley to clear the hood but I'm not exactly sure on that either since I jumped all the way down to the 4.30"

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware of that. Question for the OP, what does your motor combo consist of?

Sounds good, looked like you were unsure of why you had a larger boost number with the same pulley as someone else. Didnt mean to step on your toes.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
No worries man. I want to see this guys combo on the road. My plans for mods to the car have been put on hold since we found out my wife is Pregnant! I live my dream of ported heads, cams, and intake through others now!! haha

recordbreaker5

Blown 3V
Reaction score
I can't wait to see it either! lol...I want the new intake on there so I can climb in rpm's. Don't know if I will push the new intake to it's limit which I believe they were going up to 7500rpm's but I may keep mine around 7000rpm's at first. We all know the stock intake falls of the face of the earth around 6300rpm's

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No worries man. I want to see this guys combo on the road. My plans for mods to the car have been put on hold since we found out my wife is Pregnant! I live my dream of ported heads, cams, and intake through others now!! haha

Congrats, kid number 2 for me is due next month so i was in a hurry to get the car done lol

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
To answer your original question, I have no hood clearance issues with my procharger but I removed the hood blanket all together. Although I couldnt see that little 1/8" blanket making much difference.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Only the F1 blowers have this problem, partly because of the larger pulley size required to limit boost to make it pump gas compatable.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
What size is that blower pulley? Looks like a 5.25" or 5.00". I know for a fact that the 5.25" pulley will not clear the stock hood and it would not clear my cowl hood either because the cowl section isn't that far out towards the fender. I'm running a 4.30" pulley. On my car with an F1A it cannot be run on pump gas since I see 27psi. I'm not exactly sure why I see that much boost as others like 05stroker has the same basic setup (stroker short block, 9.3 compression) but I have stock heads, cams and intake. His car only sees about 20 or 22psi with the same pulley setup as my car that sees 27.

My car hits just over your 700rwhp goal, and would probably make 800-850 with heads cams and aftermarket intake. I think you are the same guy that commented on my youtube video of my car on the dyno. Hope this helps.
My 3.9 12 rib should change things soon though .

recordbreaker5

Blown 3V
Reaction score
figured out this hood clearance issue last night. got the new trans in the car and the engine set. The problem is my cervini's dual ram air hood. the ram air ports have a thicker channel on the bottom side of the hood which is what is hitting the blower/bracket/pulley. To answer your question 05yellowGT, the pulley is a 4.75. To solve this problem, just simply going to cut out the underside of the hood where it sits on that portion of the blower. Problem solved, now moving on to the next problem whenever that may show it's ugly face.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back