hood corrosion Q

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
Body panels are galvanized so that you don't get a reaction between dissimilar metals, the Fe particles that contaminated the hoods, hatches, etc... were not galvanized.

https://galvanizeit.org/design-and-fabrication/design-considerations/dissimilar-metals-in-contact

And again, replace the hood unless you want the disappointment of watching the bubbles return after re-painting it. Yours is one of the contaminated ones and not all of them are contaminated, the majority have not been contaminated.

So if I am understanding correctly, my idea of putting some type of rubber membrane between the hood and its mounting and latch points wouldn't really do anything because the steel versus aluminum panels already are galvanized to prevent the reaction between dissimilar metals?

It seems kind of crazy that 15 years after this problem started appearing the root cause still is not clearly known. Is Ford just routinely lazy in their assembly and allowing iron dust to contaminate some of their hoods for years and years? That seems unlikely?

Thanks for your help.

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
The cause is that aluminum oxidizes, it oxidizes to an extreme in the presence of iron, further accelerated by iron oxide. This is maybe more understandable if you relate it to an aluminum k member instead of a hood. Or, the trans crossmember in th s197.... the steel in the rubber isolators for the exhaust rot away their mounting holes in the crossmember as they rust.
Here. Is a picture of the crossmember I just p coated.
08C5DD18-1502-40F1-8ADE-2E686C9DF749.jpeg

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chances are this is a supplier issue rather than just Ford. Fiat Chrysler has been having troubles with the same thing on grand cherokees and ram 1500 trucks.
Several GM SUV's have been affected as well.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is already paint between your steel hinges and aluminum hood. Also, if galvanic corrosion between the hood and hinges was actually the problem, you would only be seeing the corrosion right there.

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
There is already paint between your steel hinges and aluminum hood. Also, if galvanic corrosion between the hood and hinges was actually the problem, you would only be seeing the corrosion right there.
Mine appears to have all started at the seems. OEM Paint seems to not work very well to stop water and other foreign contaminates. Hell the guys at ford must have seam sealed my car without light or with lots of cocktails.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Mine appears to have all started at the seems. OEM Paint seems to not work very well to stop water and other foreign contaminates. Hell the guys at ford must have seam sealed my car without light or with lots of cocktails.
Exactly.
Like I said before, open hood and look if paint is starting to bubble. If yes, sand it off, and spray bomb it. It will drastically slow the corrosion. Keep an eye on it an touch up as needed before it gets to the outside.

Mine actually had patches start to bubble further back on the underside.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back